A’s owner Lew Wolff defends Bud Selig from attacks that he looked the other way on steroids: “There’s one thing I don’t think enough people realize about Bud,” Wolff said. “He knows that baseball is the players. Whether he reacted soon enough to the steroid situation or not, once he did react, it was still […]
Willie Mays makes Giants’ players feel at home during spring training: When Willie Mays sits down at his customary card table in the Giants’ spring clubhouse, he immediately lets out a high-pitched yell and demands to know [Fred] Lewis’ whereabouts. The “Say Hey Kid” has found himself a surrogate godson. They go back and forth […]
Forbes’ Tom Van Riper wonders whether the razor will sap the strength of the mighty CC Sabathia: In order to join the Yankees, Sabathia will be required to shave off the beard he sported during his 2007 Cy Young Award season in Cleveland and his 2008 second-half surge in Milwaukee, when he carried the Brewers […]
This is almost a week old, but it’s new to me: Omar Vizquel’s baseball career was on decline the last few seasons in San Francisco. But life in the Bay Area rejuvenated him in other ways. “I painted a lot the three years I was there,” said Vizquel, whose artistic portraits (note: gallery includes some […]
Dave Zirin places the prosecution of Barry Bonds squarely within the policies of the Bush Administration justice department: The Justice Department wins 95 percent of the cases it brings to trial, and make no mistake: this case was about to become part of the other 5 percent. The only thing the Justice Department had in […]
I’m beginning my second season in a Diamondmind simulation league that Fox’s Dayn Perry runs. We had our draft on Saturday. It’s all Chicago people except for me, so the other 11 owners met up at someone’s apartment, while I joined in remotely via Google chat and a shared spreadsheet. Disadvantage: they all got to […]
The New York Times, like all papers, is suffering from serious business woes these days. Apparently one of their responses to that problem is to ape the sports coverage of the brain dead tabloids. Just look at Harvey Araton’s piece from Saturday. First he joins in with the notion that the Yankees may be better […]
My mom is great. If she’s ever out shopping and sees a random baseball book of any kind, she buys it for me. Not so much books of prose — she knows I’m critical of a lot of authors and worries that she might get me something I wouldn’t like — but if there’s a […]
Jorge Costales and I may disagree about the Marlins Stadium deal, but unlike me, he doesn’t just sit back and lazily rely on his philosophical disposition to make his case. He actually, you know, knows what the hell he’s talking about. Great evidence of that can be found in this post from Friday, when he […]
Sleepy this morning because I went to the late showing of “Watchmen” last night. Loved it, of course. My only quibbles were minor ones: 1. Malin Akerman, who played Laurie/Silk Spectre II, was perfect when she kicked people’s asses and did sexy things. When she spoke, eh, kind of reminded me of Sofia Coppola in […]
An early look at my LABR NL roster.
Sal reports back from the conference, where top officials from across US pro sports shared insights on everything from statistical analysis to the fan experience.
Nothing particularly shocking happened this past week, as you probably know. Scott Baker got a new contract while David Roberts lost his. Oh yeah, some really good hitter signed with the Dodgers.
Based on a database created a few months ago, Chris looks for some context-dependent similarity scores to compare offensive seasons with each other.