1) The Whitesox passed the Twins into 1st place in the AL Central.
2) The Giants passed the Padres into sole possession of 2nd place in the NL West.
3) Sammy Sosa watch–hit #559, is 4 behind Reggie Jackson for 8th place on the all time HR list.
4) According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Phillies are close to making a trade for Diamondbacks CF Steve Finley, but Finley has also set a Thursday deadline for a deal. If he’s not traded by then, he wants to discuss a contract extension.
5) According to the Denver Post, the Rangers are the team that’s most interested in Rockies P Shawn Estes,.
6) According to the NY Daily News, the Mets are interested in Devil Rays P Victor Zambrano.
7) The BlueJays traded P Terry Adams to the Redsox for minor league 1B-3B John Hattig and cash.
After 4.35 ERA/-9 RSAA and 2.65 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Adams is off to a 3.98 ERA/4 RSAA start in his first 42 games. He has a 3.97 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 20 RSAA in 539 games.
8) BlueJays P Pat Hentgen announced his retirement.
Hentgen finishes with a 4.32 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.65, and 72 RSAA in 344 games, including a 6.95 ERA/-19 RSAA in 16 starts (18 games) in 2004. His best year was a 3.22 ERA/54 RSAA in 1996, in which he led the league in RSAA.
9) The Angels placed OF Jeff DaVanon on the 15 day DL and called up INF Alfredo Amezaga.
After 12 RCAA/.805 OPS in 2003, his first year as a starter, DaVanon is off to a .413 SLG, .379 OBA, .793 OPS, 9 RCAA start in his first 72 games. He has a .775 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and 12 RCAA in 258 games.
10) After the Royals called up P Chris George before the 1st game of yesterday’s doubleheader, they sent him back to the minors afterwards, activated 3B Joe Randa from the DL and also designated INF Damian Jackson for assignment.
After -10 RCAA/.768 OPS and -2 RCAA/.800 OPS seasons, Randa is hitting .382 SLG, .346 OBA, .729 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 69 games. He has a .765 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -52 RCAA in 1224 games.
After -3 RCAA/.679 OPS and -12 RCAA/.617 OPS seasons, Jackson has a .267 SLG, .206 OBA, .473 OPS, -3 RCAA start in 21 games (34 PA–first 7 games with the Cubs). He has a .680 career OPS, compared to his league average of .783, and -44 RCAA in 642 games.
11) The Cardinals placed OF Ray Lankford on the 15 day DL and called up P Dan Haren.
Lankford has a right wrist injury. After missing the 2003 season due to an injury, he is hitting .425 SLG, .353 OBA, .778 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 77 games. Lankford has a .841 career OPS, compared to his league average of .758, and 224 RCAA in 1686 games.
Haren has a 6.01 ERA/-16 RSAA in 15 career games, including a 24.55 ERA/-8 RSAA in 1 start in 2004.
12) Tigers C Ivan Rodriguez reached 2000 career hits.
After 10 RCAA/.895 OPS and 17 RCAA/.843 OPS seasons, Rodriguez is hitting .546 SLG, .404 OBA, .950 OPS, 30 RCAA in his first 87 games. He has a .839 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and 113 RCAA in 1710 games.
13) Cardinals SS Edgar Renteria was out of yesterday’s lineup, due to the flu, and is expected to return today.
After 13 RCAA/.803 OPS and 33 RCAA/.874 OPS seasons, Renteria is hitting .425 SLG, .334 OBA, .759 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 89 games. He has a .749 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -40 RCAA in 1236 games.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see