1) Devil Rays CF Rocco Baldelli tore his anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee playing baseball in his back yard. He’ll have surgery today and could miss around the first half of 2005.
After starting his career with -3 RCAA/.742 OPS in 2003, Baldelli hit .436 SLG, .326 OBA, .762 OPS, 0 RCAA in 136 games. He has a .751 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -3 RCAA in 292 games.
2) Scott Boras says Carlos Beltran, who will be a free agent, is seeking a 10 year contract.
3) The Cardinals declined their option on P Woody Williams.
After 2.53 ERA/15 RSAA and 3.87 ERA/6 RSAA seasons, Williams had a 4.18 ERA/0 RSAA in 31 starts. He has a 4.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 51 RSAA in 338 games.
4) Rangers assistant GM Jon Daniels denies rumors that they are talking to the Yankees about an Alfonso Soriano for Javier Vazquez trade.
5) According to the LA Times, the Dodgers are interested in P Brad Radke, who will be a free agent.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.