1) The Astros have until midnight to re-sign free agent CF Carlos Beltran or lose their rights to sign him until May 1.
The other free agents in that situation are–
Redsox–1B Dave McCarty, Ps Pedro Astacio, Derek Lowe
Dodgers–C Brent Mayne
Phillies–CF Doug Glanville
2) The Diamondbacks and Dodgers slightly revised their Shawn Green trade, which gave the Diamondbacks another window to reach a deal with him.
3) The Dodgers are reportedly close to signing free agent P Derek Lowe.
4) The Braves signed free agent P Gabe White to a 1 year, about $600,000 contract.
After 2.98 ERA/9 RSAA and 4.05 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, White had a 6.94 ERA/-19 RSAA in 64 games with the Yankees and Reds. He has a 4.55 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 12 RSAA in 466 games.
5) Angels RF Vladimir Guerrero sprained his right thumb. He’ll miss the winter league playoffs, but is expected to be ready for spring training.
After 61 RCAA/1.010 OPS and 28 RCAA/1.012 OPS seasons, Guerrero hit .598 SLG, .391 OBA, .989 OPS, 56 RCAA in 156 games. He has a .979 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and 317 RCAA in 1160 games.
6) Pirates SS Jack Wilson was hospitalized last month for an appendectomy and is expected to be ready for spring training.
7) The Mets signed free agent 2B Miguel Cairo to a 1 year, $900,000 contract, contingent on him passing a physical.
After -8 RCAA/.660 OPS and -10 RCAA/.665 OPS seasons, Cairo hit .417 SLG, .346 OBA, .763 OPS, 1 RCAA in 122 games with the Yankees. He has a .691 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -77 RCAA in 829 games.
8) The Tigers re-signed 1B Carlos Pena to a 1 year, $2.575 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 0 RCAA/.764 OPS and 3 RCAA/.772 OPS seasons, Pena hit .472 SLG, .338 OBA, .810 OPS, 7 RCAA in 142 games. He has a .787 career OPS, compared to his league average of .764, and 12 RCAA in 410 games.
9) The Yankees re-signed free agent DH Ruben Sierra to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract.
After -4 RCAA/.736 OPS and -4 RCAA/.748 OPS seasons, Sierra had a .456 SLG, .296 OBA, .752 OPS, -4 RCAA in 107 games. He has a .769 career OPS, compared to his league average of .746, and 32 RCAA in 2111 games, but also has only had 1 positive RCAA in the past decade.
10) According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the Marlins made a 3 year, $30+ million offer to free agent 1B Carlos Delgado. According to the Palm Beach Post, they made a 1 year offer, while the Miami Herald says it’s a multiyear offer.
11) The Angels list of nonroster invitees to spring training–INFs Erick Aybar, Howard Kendrick, David Matranga and Zach Sorensen, OFs Brian Gordon, Nick Gorneault, Tommy Murphy, Curtis Pride, Chris Prieto and Reggie Willits and Ps Dusty Bergman, Eric Cyr, Delvin James, Greg Jones, Cory Lee, Joel Peralta and Evan Thomas; catchers Ryan Budde, Tom Gregorio, Mike Napoli and Bobby Wilson.
12) The Brewers signed P Jerome Gamble to a minor league contract.
13) The Whitesox designated C Jamie Burke for assignment.
Burke has 1 RCAA/.778 OPS in 72 career games, including a .408 SLG, .386 OBA, .795 OPS, 2 RCAA in 57 games in 2004.
14) The Pirates signed C-INF Edwards Guzman and P Kevin Olsen to minor league contracts.
Guzman has -26 RCAA/.565 OPS in 127 career games.
Olsen had a 5.12 ERA/-10 RSAA in 28 games with the 2001-03 Marlins.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.