1) The Marlins placed P Armando Benitez on the 15 day DL, retroactive to July 23
Benitez has an inflamed elbow. After 2.27 ERA/12 RSAA and 2.96 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, he’s off to a 1.25 ERA/17 RSAA start in his first 44 games. Benitez has a 2.89 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 103 RSAA in 608 games.
2) The Mariners placed P Eddie Guardado on the 15 day DL and will call up P Matt Thornton.
Guardado has a tired shoulder. After 2.93 ERA/11 RSAA and 2.89 ERA/13 RSAA seasons, he’s off to a 2.78 ERA/7 RSAA start in his first 41 games. Guardado has a 4.41 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 29 RSAA in 680 games.
Thornton has a 6.35 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 3 career games (1 start).
3) The Redsox placed 2B Mark Bellhorn on the 15 day DL and officially added newly acquired OF Dave Roberts to the roster.
Bellhorn fractured his left thumb when he was hit by a pitch on Sunday. After 25 RCAA/.886 OPS and -12 RCAA/.646 OPS seasons, he’s hitting .432 SLG, .373 OBA, .805 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 98 games. Bellhorn has a .758 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 1 RCA in 469 games.
4) The Expos activated P Joey Eischen from the DL, when they placed P Zach Day on the 15 day DL.
After 1.34 ERA/17 RSAA and 3.06 ERA/12 RSAA seasons, Eischen’s been on the DL all year. He has a 3.41 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and 26 RSAA in 224 games.
5) The Pirates called up P Dave Williams and activated C Humberto Cota from the DL.
Williams has a 4.06 ERA/5 RSAA in 31 career games.
Cota has 0 RCAA/.740 OPS in 40 career games, including a .593 SLG, .355 OBA, .947 OPS, 2 RCAA in 16 games in 2004.
6) The Redsox traded minor league P Jimmy Anderson to the Cubs as part of the Nomar Garciaparra trade.
Anderson had been traded by the Cubs, to the Redsox, on July 2, and wasn’t sure whether he’s headed to the majors or will stay in AAA.
7) The Rangers sent P Erasmo Ramirez to the minors and moved P Jay Powell from the 15 to the 60 day DL, to make room on the 25 and 40 man rosters, respectively, for newly acquired P Scott Erickson.
Ramirez has a 4.10 ERA/8 RSAA in 58 career games, including a 4.56 ERA/2 RSAA in 24 games in 2004.
8) The Tigers signed INF Benji Gil to a minor league contract.
Gil has -96 RCAA/.641 OPS in 604 career games.
9) Tino Martinez tied Reggie Smith for 91st place on the all time HR list, with 314.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see