1) The Diamondbacks have been mathematically eliminated from winning the division title and from the postseason.
It turned out the Diamondbacks were eliminated even before yesterday, due to head to head schedules leading to not path to the postseason, even if they did win all of the rest of their games.
2) The Devil Rays passed the Orioles into sole possession of 3rd place in the AL East.
3) The Indians passed the Whitesox into sole possession of 2nd place in the AL Central.
4) Manny Ramirez tied Albert Belle for 49th place on the all time HR list, with 381.
5) The Rangers will activate P Chan Ho Park from the DL today.
After 5.75 ERA/-11 RSAA and 7.58 ERA/-8 RSAA (just 7 G/GS) seasons, Park is off to a 5.80 ERA/-4 RSAA start in his first 8 starts. He has a 4.15 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.40, and 9 RSAA in 261 games.
6) Angels OF Jeff DaVanon hit for the cycle.
After 12 RCAA/.805 OPS in 2003, his first year with more than 40 games, DaVanon is hitting .453 SLG, .385 OBA, .839 OPS, 15 RCAA in his first 84 games. He has a .791 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and 18 RCAA in 270 games.
7) The Brewers placed P Chris Capuano on the 15 day DL and called up P Pedro Liriano.
Capuano has a sore elbow. He has a 4.90 ERA/-4 RSAA in 26 career games, including a 4.99 ERA/-5 RSAA in 17 starts in 2004.
8) The Rockies designated utilityman Kit Pellow for assignment and called up P Jeff Francis.
Pellow has -9 RCAA/.716 OPS in 99 career games, including a .347 SLG, .308 OBA, .655 OPS, -10 RCAA in 59 games in 2004.
Francis made his major league debut by starting yesterday.
9) The Giants called up P David Aardsma and sent P Kevin Correia to the minors.
Aardsma has a 6.23 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 10 career games.
Correia has a 5.11 ERA/-5 RSAA in 20 career games, including a 3.66 ERA/3 RSAA in 10 games (1 start) in 2004.
10) Expos 2B Jose Vidro will have season ending knee surgery on September 8.
After 29 RCAA/.868 OPS and 9 RCAA/.866 OPS seasons, Vidro has a .454 SLG, .367 OBA, .821 OPS, 8 RCAA in 110 games. He has a .837 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and 66 RCAA in 973 games.
11) On Sunday, Jim Nelson died at the age of 57.
Nelson had a 3.06 ERA/7 RSAA in 32 games with the 1970-71 Pirates.
12) The Orioles released OF Karim Garcia, sent OF Darnell McDonald and P Eddy Rodriguez to the minors, called up OF Tim Raines Jr, INF Jose Leon and P Bruce Chen and moved CF Luis Matos from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After 3 RCAA/.889 OPS and -6 RCAA/.724 OPS seasons, Garcia has a .388 SLG, .265 OBA, .653 OPS, -15 RCAA in 85 games (first 62 with the Mets). He has a .703 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -57 RCAA in 488 games.
McDonald had a .231 SLG, .250 OBA, .481 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 12 career games.
Rodriguez had a 5.01 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 26 career games.
Raines has -9 RCAA/.529 OPS in 50 career games, including a .353 SLG, .333 OBA, .686 OPS, -2 RCAA in 23 games in 2004.
Leon has -13 RCAA/.578 OPS in 73 career games, including a .233 SLG, .156 OBA, .390 OPS, -7 RCAA in 16 games in 2004.
13) Redsox 1B Doug Mientkiewicz had to leave yesterday’s game, due to a strained left shoulder.
After 5 RCAA/.756 OPS and 23 RCAA/.843 OPS seasons, Mientkiewicz is hitting .362 SLG, .331 OBA, .693 OPS, -15 RCAA in his first 97 games (first 78 with the Twins). He has a .772 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and 10 RCAA in 662 games.
14) The Mets signed OF Brian Buchanan, sent P Heath Bell to the minors and designated minor league OF Prentice Redman for assignment.
Buchanan had been a free agent on Tuesday, when he refused the Padres assignment to the minors.
15) Orioles C Javier Lopez has been out of the lineup for the past couple of games, due to lower back spasms.
After -18 RCAA/.670 OPS and 55 RCAA/1.065 OPS seasons, Lopez is hitting .508 SLG, .370 OBA, .878 OPS, 15 RCAA in his first 118 games. He has a .843 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 64 RCAA in 1274 games.
16) According to the Denver Post, the Twins are losing interest in Rockies C Charles Johnson, but could be interested in harming themselves by acquiring Shawn Estes.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see