1) The Dodgers signed free agent RF J.D. Drew to a 5 year, $55 million contract, with him just having to pass a physical today.
After 10 RCAA/.778 OPS and 16 RCAA/.886 OPS seasons, Drew hit .569 SLG, .436 OBA, 1.006 OPS, 66 RCAA in 145 games with the Braves. He has a .904 career OPS, compared to his league average of .781, and 164 RCAA in 742 games.
2) The Giants signed free agent OF Moises Alou to a 2 year, $13.25 million contract, with the 2nd year being a player option. The contract will be finalized after he takes a physical on Monday.
After 0 RCAA/.757 OPS and 12 RCAA/.819 OPS seasons, Alou hit .557 SLG, .361 OBA, .919 OPS, 30 RCAA in 155 games with the Cubs. He has a .880 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and 254 RCAA in 1619 games.
3) The Whitesox signed free agent P Orlando Hernandez to a 2 year, $8 million contract.
After missing the 2003 season, Hernandez had a 3.30 ERA/11 RSAA in 15 starts with the Yankees. He has a 3.96 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.72, and 60 RSAA in 139 games.
4) The Redsox signed free agent P Wade Miller to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract and re-signed P Lenny DiNardo.
After 3.28 ERA/19 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Miller had a 3.35 ERA/10 RSAA in 15 starts. He had spent his whole career with the Astros, before being nontendered earlier in the week. Miller has a 3.87 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 56 RSAA in 127 games.
DiNardo, who had been nontendered, had a 4.23 ERA/2 RSAA in his first 22 career games.
5) The Cardinals signed free agent P Mike Myers (1 year, $600,000) and OF So Taguchi (1 year, $550,000).
After 4.38 ERA/0 RSAA and 5.70 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Myers had a 4.64 ERA/-1 RSAA in 75 games with the Mariners and Redsox. He has a 4.40 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 20 RSAA in 684 games.
Taguchi, who had been nontendered, has -4 RCAA/.779 OPS in 171 career games, including a .419 SLG, .337 OBA, .756 OPS, -4 RCAA in 109 games in 2004.
6) The Mets signed OF Kerry Robinson, C Ramon Castro and P Orber Moreno to minor league contracts, with invitations to spring training.
After -5 RCAA/.674 OPS and -11 RCAA/.603 OPS seasons, Robinson had a .337 SLG, .330 OBA, .667 OPS, -1 RCAA in 80 games with the Padres. He has a .644 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -22 RCAA in 445 games.
After -1 RCAA/.777 OPS and 4 RCAA/.937 OPS seasons, Castro had a .260 SLG, .231 OBA, .492 OPS, -10 RCAA in 32 games with the Marlins. He has a .661 career OPS, compared to his league average of .782, and -20 RCAA in 207 games.
Moreno has a 4.44 ERA/-1 RSAA in 47 career games, including a 3.38 ERA/3 RSAA in 33 games in 2004. He had been nontendered earlier in the week.
7) The Marlins signed free agent P John Riedling to a 1 year, $750,000 contract.
After 2.70 ERA/9 RSAA and 4.90 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, Riedling had a 5.10 ERA/-10 RSAA in 70 games. After spending his whole career with the Reds, Riedling was nontendered. He has a 4.13 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.29, and 3 RSAA in 200 games.
8) The Devil Rays signed free agent DH-1B Josh Phelps to a 1 year contract.
After 17 RCAA/.925 OPS and 4 RCAA/.827 OPS seasons, Phelps had a .450 SLG, .304 OBA, .754 OPS, -12 RCAA in 103 games with the BlueJays and Indians. He has a .818 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and 6 RCAA in 305 games.
9) The Nationals re-signed C Brian Schneider to a 1 year, $2 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -1 RCAA/.798 OPS and -25 RCAA/.703 OPS seasons, Schneider had a .399 SLG, .325 OBA, .724 OPS, -7 RCAA in 135 games. He has a .720 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -41 RCAA in 388 games.
10) The Padres signed free agent OF Mark Sweeney (1 year, $575,000) and re-signed OF Dave Roberts (1 year, $1.35 million).
After -5 RCAA/.479 OPS and -4 RCAA/.733 OPS seasons, Sweeney hit .508 SLG, .377 OBA, .885 OPS, 4 RCAA in 122 games with the Rockies. He has a .741 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -10 RCAA in 765 games.
Roberts had just been acquired in a trade with the Redsox and his signing avoids salary arbitration.
11) The Indians signed P Billy Traber and re-signed Ps Jason Bere and Mariano Gomez to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
After missing the entire 2004 season, Traber was claimed off waivers by the Redsox in November and then became a free agent when he was nontendered earlier in the week. He had a 5.24 ERA/-13 RSAA in 33 games (18 starts) in 2003.
Bere, who missed 2004 and made only 2 starts in 2003, has a 5.14 ERA/-90 RSAA in 211 career games.
12) Indians GM Mark Shapiro was given a 2 year contract extension, through the 2007 season.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.