1) The Giants signed free agent P Armando Benitez to a 3 year, $21.5 million contract.
After 2.27 ERA/12 RSAA and 2.96 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Benitez had a 1.29 ERA/22 RSAA in 64 games with the Marlins. He has a 2.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 108 RSAA in 628 games.
2) The Reds re-signed free agent P Paul Wilson to a 2 year, $8.2 million contract.
After 4.83 ERA/-8 RSAA and 4.64 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, Wilson had a 4.36 ERA/-7 RSAA in 29 starts. He has a 4.71 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.39, and -45 RSAA in 161 games.
3) According to the Providence Journal, the Redsox have started trade talks for Randy Johnson.
4) The Indians signed INF Erick Almonte, OF John Rodriguez and P Steve Watkins to minor league contracts and invited them to spring training.
Almonte had -1 RCAA/.693 OPS in 39 games with the 2001 and 2003 Yankees.
Watkins had a 6.28 ERA/-4 RSAA in 11 games with the Padres.
5) On Saturday, Connie Johnson died at the age of 81.
Johnson, who also pitched in the Negro Leagues, pitched for the 1953 and 1955-56 Whitesox and 1956-68 Orioles. He had a 3.44 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.93, and 19 RSAA in 123 games.
6) The Rangers signed C Robert Machado to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
After -6 RCAA/.695 OPS and 0 RCAA/.692 OPS seasons, Machado “hit” .233 SLG, .195 OBA, .428 OPS, -10 RCAA in 37 games with the Orioles. He has a .626 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -38 RCAA in 253 games.
7) Angels DH Tim Salmon (rotator cuff) and P Brendan Donnelly (repair a hole in his septum) had surgeries.
Salmon also had surgery in September, on torn cartilage in his left knee, and is concerned about whether he’s through. He isn’t expected to be able to resume baseball activities until around September.
After 33 RCAA/.883 OPS and 25 RCAA/.838 OPS seasons, Salmon had a .323 SLG, .306 OBA, .628 OPS, -9 RCAA in 60 games. He has a .886 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 324 RCAA in 1596 games.
After starting his career with 2.17 ERA/12 RSAA and 1.58 ERA/22 RSAA seasons, Donnelly had a 3.00 ERA/7 RSAA in 40 games. He has a 2.12 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and 41 RSAA in 149 games.
8) BlueJays GM J.P. Ricciardi says he’s interested in free agent P Matt Clement.
9) The Marlins re-signed free agent PH Lenny Harris to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After 3 RCAA/.766 OPS and -13 RCAA/.506 OPS seasons, Harris had a .295 SLG, .232 OBA, .527 OPS, -8 RCAA in 79 games. He has a .665 career OPS, compared to his league average of .747, and -127 RCAA in 1820 games.
10) Twins OF Michael Restovich broke his right collarbone, after falling on ice, and is expected to be ready for spring training.
Restovich has 1 RCAA/.807 OPS in 61 career games, including a .447 SLG, .314 OBA, .761 OPS, 0 RCAA in 29 games in 2004.
11) According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners made an offer to free P Jaret Wright, which is believed to be 3 years, $15 million, while the paper reports there are rumors the Yankees will make a similar offer.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.