1) According to the SF Chronicle, the Giants agreed to a 3 year, $21 million contract with free agent P Armando Benitez. He just needs to pass his physical and the official announcement could come as early as today.
2 ) The Mets have reportedly offered free agent P Pedro Martinez 3 years, $37.5 million, with an option that could make the contract worth about $50 million.
3) The Redsox re-signed free agent C Doug Mirabelli to a 2 year, $3 million contract.
After -3 RCAA/.723 OPS and -2 RCAA/.755 OPS seasons, Mirabelli hit .525 SLG, .368 OBA, .893 OPS, 6 RCAA in 59 games. He has a .757 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -5 RCAA in 395 games.
4) The Nationals signed free agent C Gary Bennett to a 1 year, $750,000 contract.
After -23 RCAA/.668 OPS and -15 RCAA/.602 OPS seasons, Bennett had a .329 SLG, .297 OBA, .626 OPS, -16 RCAA in 75 games with the Brewers. He has a .645 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -71 RCAA in 390 games.
5) Free agent P Matt Morris will have arthroscopic shoulder surgery today.
6) The BlueJays have agreed to buy the SkyDome for about $21.24 million.
7) Free agent C Ramon Castro pled no contest to misdemeanor indecent assault charges and was sentenced to 1 year probation.
8) Dodgers CF Milton Bradley was charged with disorderly conduct after a traffic stop involving a friend.
After -9 RCAA/.723 OPS and 34 RCAA/.923 OPS seasons, Bradley hit .424 SLG, .362 OBA, .786 OPS, 3 RCAA in 141 games. He has a .766 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -4 RCAA in 459 games.
9) The Brewers designated OF Chris Magruder for assignment, to make room on the 40 man roster for when they completed their deal with free agent C Damian Miller.
Magruder has -22 RCAA/.647 OPS in 169 career games, including a .393 SLG, .310 OBA, .703 OPS, -5 RCAA in 56 games in 2004.
10) According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the Twins made a 3 year, $20 million offer to free agent P Brad Radke.
11) The Twins signed INF Glen Williams to a minor league contract.
12) According to the Daily Herald, the Indians are interested in free agent P Matt Clement.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.