1) The Reds activated CF Ken Griffey Jr. from the DL and placed P John Riedling on the bereavement list.
After -2 RCAA/.784 OPS and 11 RCAA/.936 OPS seasons, Griffey is hitting .512 SLG, .350 OBA, .862 OPS, 11 RCAA in his first 80 games. He has a .937 career OPS, compared to his league average of .759, and 546 RCAA in 1994 games.
Riedling’s father died. After 2.70 ERA/9 RSAA and 4.90 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, Riedling has a 4.37 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 51 games. He has a 3.89 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.28, and 11 RSAA in 181 games.
2) The Yankees signed 1B John Olerud, sent P Juan Padilla to the minors and moved P Sam Marsonek from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After 41 RCAA/.893 OPS and 2 RCAA/.761 OPS seasons, Olerud hit .360 SLG, .354 OBA, .714 OPS, -1 RCAA in 78 games with the Mariners. He has a .867 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and 394 RCAA in 2098 games.
Padilla has a 3.97 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 6 career games.
3) Barry Bonds watch–hit #686 and #687, is 13 away from 700, is 27 behind Ruth, is 68 behind Aaron.
4) Carlos Delgado passed Cecil Fielder in 86th place on the all time HR list, with 320.
5) Edgar Martinez tied David Justice for 97th place on the all time HR list, with 305.
6) Expos 3B Tony Batista hit his 200th career HR.
After -3 RCAA/.766 OPS and -29 RCAA/.663 OPS seasons, Batista is off to a .426 SLG, .270 OBA, .696 OPS, -15 RCAA start in his first 100 games. He has a .754 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -76 RCAA in 1122 games.
Batista’s tied for 4th for worst career RCAA by a player with 200+ HR–
RCAA RCAA HR 1 Benito Santiago -158 217 2 Vinny Castilla -152 291 3 Gary Gaetti -126 360 T4 Tony Batista -76 200 T4 Marquis Grissom -76 218 6 Tony Armas -56 251 7 Jose Valentin -44 219 8 Dante Bichette -31 274 9 Tim Wallach -26 260 10 Deron Johnson -19 245
7) Mets SS Kaz Matsui was out of yesterday’s lineup, due to a deep bone bruise, and might also miss today’s game.
Matsui is off to a .407 SLG, .338 OBA, .744 OPS, 1 RCAA start in his first 103 games.
8) Royals 1B Mike Sweeney had to leave yesterday’s game, due to back spasms, and hopes to be able to play today.
After 39 RCAA/.979 OPS and 9 RCAA/.858 OPS seasons, Sweeney is hitting .491 SLG, .337 OBA, .828 OPS, 8 RCAA in his first 94 games. He has a .873 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 125 RCAA in 1014 games.
9) The Angels placed C Bengie Molina on the 15 day DL.
Molina has a broken tip of his right index finger. After -27 RCAA/.596 OPS and -6 RCAA/.746 OPS seasons, he’s off to a .443 SLG, .308 OBA, .751 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 65 games. Molina has a .693 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -80 RCAA in 565 games.
10) The Indians traded minor league P Jeriome Robertson to the Expos for minor league P Pierre-Luc Marceau.
11) The Tigers designated P Danny Patterson for assignment and called up P John Ennis.
After injuries limited him to 25 G/20.2 IP over the past 2 years, Patterson is off to a 4.75 ERA/-2 RSAA start in his first 37 games. He has a 4.14 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.68, and 24 RSAA in 350 games.
Ennis had a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in 1 start with the 2002 Braves.
12) Rangers SS Michael Young was out of yesterday’s lineup, due to a stiff back.
After -31 RCAA/.690 OPS and 0 RCAA/.785 OPS seasons, Young is hitting .494 SLG, .372 OBA, .867 OPS, 14 RCAA in his first 103 games. He has a .760 career OPS, compared to his league average of .764, and -31 RCAA in 527 games.
13) The Brewers placed 3B Keith Ginter on the 15 day DL, retroactive to July 25, and called up OF Chris Magruder.
After 1 RCAA/.779 OPS in 2003, Ginter is off to a .425 SLG, .318 OBA, .743 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 82 games. He has a .764 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -4 RCAA in 243 games.
Magruder has -18 RCAA/.624 OPS in 127 career games, including a .154 SLG, .313 OBA, .466 OPS, -1 RCAA in 14 games (16 PA) in 2004.
14) A’s CF Mark Kotsay reached 1000 career hits.
After 19 RCAA/.810 OPS and 0 RCAA/.726 OPS seasons, Kotsay is hitting .457 SLG, .380 OBA, .836 OPS, 16 RCAA in his first 95 games. He has a .765 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and 12 RCAA in 963 games.
15) The Giants called up P Noah Lowry and sent P Kevin Correia to the minors.
Lowry has a 2.00 ERA/9 RSAA in his first 10 career games, including a 2.43 ERA/6 RSAA in 4 starts (6 games) in 2004.
Correia has a 5.33 ERA/-5 RSAA in 15 career games, including a 12.10 ERA/-8 RSAA in 5 games (1 start) in 2004.
16) The Giants are moving P Dustin Hermanson to the bullpen.
After 7.77 ERA/-8 RSAA and 4.06 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, Hermanson is off to a 4.59 ERA/-3 RSAA start in his first 18 starts. He has a 4.31 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.39, and 6 RSAA in 265 games.
17) According to the Boston Globe, when the Cubs traded P Jimmy Anderson to the Redsox, it was for a player to be named later and was independent of the Garciaparra deal.
18) The Royals placed INF Tony Graffanino on the 15 day DL and called up 2B Ruben Gotay.
Graffanino has a partial tear in the posterior cruciate ligament of his left knee and is expected to be out for at least 4 weeks. Earlier in the year, he missed 4 weeks, due to torn cartilage in that knee. After 0 RCAA/.757 OPS and 4 RCAA/.759 OPS seasons, he is off to a .335 SLG, .332 OBA, .667 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 75 games. Graffanino has a .718 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -31 RCAA in 649 games.
19) The Diamondbacks placed LF Luis Gonzalez on the 15 day DL and called up INF Andy Green.
Gonzalez had Tommy John surgery on Monday.
Green has 1 RCAA/.846 OPS in his first 8 career games.
20) Mets P Mike Stanton struck out 4 batters in the 8th inning, against the Brewers.
After 3.00 ERA/12 RSAA and 4.57 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Stanton is off to a 3.67 ERA/3 RSAA start in his first 60 games. He has a 3.67 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 58 RSAA in 945 games.
21) The Marlins called up OF Chris Aguila and designated P Aaron Small for assignment.
Aguila was 0 for 6, with -1 RCAA, in his first 3 career games.
Small has a 5.26 ERA/-16 RSAA in 143 career games, including a 5.23 ERA/-1 RSAA in 4 games in 2004.
22) The Devil Rays activated P Seth McClung from the DL and sent him to the minors.
23) The Expos moved P Tomo Ohka from the 15 to the 60 day DL and designated P Jeremy Fikac for assignment.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see