1) Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker announced his resignation and was replaced by Tim Purpura. Hunsicker will become an advisor.
2) The Diamondbacks named Wally Backman as manager.
3) The Devil Rays declined their 2005 option on 1B Tino Martinez.
After 6 RCAA/.776 OPS and 3 RCAA/.781 OPS seasons, Martinez hit .461 SLG, .362 OBA, .823 OPS, 13 RCAA in 138 games. He has a .817 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 114 RCAA in 1892 games.
4) The Whitesox named Tim Raines as 1B coach.
5) The Reds signed OF Rob Stratton and Ps Ricky Stone and Brian Rose to minor league contracts.
After 3.61 ERA/6 RSAA and 3.69 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Stone had a 6.45 ERA/-14 RSAA in 43 games with the Astros and Padres. He has a 4.26 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and 1 RSAA in 192 games.
Rose, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2001, has a 5.86 ERA/-21 RSAA in 68 career games.
6) The A’s signed P Seth Etherton to a 1 year contract.
Etherton has a 5.98 ERA/-13 RSAA in 18 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and come out in October. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded and could include a free copy of the current edition. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.