1) The Mets named Willie Randolph manager.
2) The Astros removed “interim” from manager Phil Garner’s title.
3) The Phillies will have a press conference today to announce the hiring of Charlie Manuel as manager.
4) Redsox DH Ellis Burks announced his retirement.
He is still going through with the formality of declaring free agency. Burks finished with a .874 career OPS, compared to his league average of .750, and 279 RCAA in 2000 games. His best years were 48 RCAA/1.047 OPS with the 1996 Rockies and 48 RCAA/1.025 OPS with the 2000 Giants.
5) The Giants exercised their options on 1B J.T. Snow, CF Marquis Grissom and P Brett Tomko, declined their option on P Jason Christiansen and re-signed SS Deivi Cruz to a 1 year, $800,000 contract.
After -4 RCAA/.704 OPS and 8 RCAA/.806 OPS seasons, Snow hit .529 SLG, .429 OBA, .958 OPS, 35 RCAA in 107 games. He has a .791 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 60 RCAA in 1560 games.
After 11 RCAA/.831 OPS and 2 RCAA/.790 OPS seasons, Grissom hit .450 SLG, .323 OBA,. 773 OPS, -12 RCAA in 145 games. He has a .736 career OPS, compared to his league average of .760, and -76 RCAA in 2121 games.
It was Grissom’s 7th year with a double digit negative RCAA, which ranks tied for 3rd all time among CF–
T1 Doc Cramer 8
T1 Darren Lewis 8
T3 Jimmy McAleer 7
T3 Marquis Grissom 7
T5 Mickey Stanley 6
T5 Rick Manning 6
T5 Doug Glanville 6
T5 Tom Goodwin 6
T5 Paul Blair 6
T10 Ken Berry 5
T10 Jimmy Piersall 5
T10 Juan Beniquez 5
T10 Omar Moreno 5
T10 Brian McRae 5
T10 Dick Johnston 5
T10 Bill Virdon 5
T10 Tom Brown 5
T10 John Shelby 5
T10 Jo-Jo White 5
After 4.49 ERA/-17 RSAA and 5.28 ERA/-26 RSAA seasons, Tomko had a 4.04 ERA/9 RSAA in 31 starts (32 games). It was the first time he had a positive RSAA since his rookie season, with the 1997 Reds. Tomko has a 4.53 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and -37 RSAA in 229 games.
After 5.40 ERA/-1 RSAA (just 6 G) and 5.19 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, Christiansen had a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in 60 games. He has a 4.20 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 6 RSAA in 460 games.
After -21 RCAA/.660 OPS and -26 RCAA/.647 OPS seasons, Cruz had a .431 SLG, .322 OBA, .752 OPS, -11 RCAA in 127 games. It’s a bad sign when -11 RCAA is a career high. Cruz has a .682 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -175 RCAA in 1133 games.
6) The Reds declined their part of a mutual option on P Gabe White.
After 2.98 ERA/9 RSAA and 4.05 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, White had a 6.94 ERA/-19 RSAA in 64 games (first 24 with the Yankees). He has a 4.55 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 12 RSAA in 466 games.
7) According to the Daily Southtown, the Cubs are interested in trading Sammy Sosa, with the Marlins, Rockies and Mets possibilities.
8) Nomar Garciaparra, who will be a free agent, is reportedly interested in the Yankees, where he would move to 2B.
9) According to the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs are interested in P Troy Percival, who will be a free agent.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and come out in October. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded and could include a free copy of the current edition. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.