1) The Mariners signed free agent 1B Richie Sexson to a 4 year, $50 million contract.
After 25 RCAA/.867 OPS and 33 RCAA/.927 OPS seasons, Sexson hit .578 SLG, .337 OBA, .914 OPS, 3 RCAA in an injury ruined 23 game season with the Diamondbacks. He has a .877 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 83 RCAA in 836 games.
2) According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners could either be close to, or maybe already did, agree to terms with free agent 3B Adrian Beltre.
3) The Redsox signed free agent SS Edgar Renteria to a 4 year, $40 million contract, pending him passing a physical today.
After 13 RCAA/.803 OPS and 33 RCAA/.874 OPS seasons, Renteria had a .401 SLG, .327 OBA, .728 OPS, -12 RCAA in 149 games with the Cardinals. It was his 6th double digit negative RCAA in the past 8 years. Renteria has a .746 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -50 RCAA in 1296 games.
4) The Diamondbacks signed free agent SS Craig Counsell to a 2 year, $3.1 million contract.
After -15 RCAA/.699 OPS and -19 RCAA/.631 OPS seasons, Counsell had a .315 SLG, .330 OBA, .645 OPS, -21 RCAA in 140 games. It was his 5th double digit negative RCAA in the past 6 years. Counsell has a .689 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -81 RCAA in 798 games.
Counsell played for the Diamondbacks from 2000-03 and ranks 2nd on the team’s worst career RCAA list–
RCAA 1 Tony Womack -96 2 Craig Counsell -46 3 Rod Barajas -45 4 Kelly Stinnett -28 5 Alex Cintron -27 6 Damian Miller -24 T7 Karim Garcia -21 T7 Travis Lee -21 T9 Matt Williams -20 T9 Danny Bautista -20
5) The Brewers traded 2B Keith Ginter to the A’s for P Justin Lehr and OF Nelson Cruz.
After 1 RCAA/.779 OPS rookie season, Ginter hit .479 SLG, .333 OBA, .812 OPS, 2 RCAA in 113 games. He has a .793 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 5 RCAA in 274 games.
Lehr had a 5.23 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 27 career games.
6) According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, the only way the Marlins will trade P A.J. Burnett is if they acquire Tim Hudson, with a 3 way trade a possibility.
7) According to the Boston Globe, the Redsox, BlueJays, Angels, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Whitesox and Indians are in the running for free agent P Matt Clement.
8) The Nationals have shut down business and promotional operations as part of MLB’s threat to move the team again if Washington DC insists on private funding for at least 50% of the cost for a stadium.
9) The Royals will reportedly finalize a trade that will send C Benito Santiago to the Pirates today.
10) The Whitesox re-signed 2B Juan Uribe to a 3 year, $9.75 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After -52 RCAA/.627 OPS and -13 RCAA/.724 OPS seasons, Uribe had a .506 SLG, .327 OBA, .833 OPS, -4 RCAA in 134 games. He has a .744 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -72 RCAA in 448 games.
11) The Reds signed Ps David Weathers ($1.25 million, with an option for 2006) and Ben Weber ($600,000) to a 1 year contracts.
After 2.91 ERA/8 RSAA and 3.08 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Weathers had a 4.15 ERA/1 RSAA in 66 games with the Mets, Astros and Marlins. He has a 4.46 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and -19 RSAA in 614 games.
After 2.54 ERA/15 RSAA and 2.69 ERA/13 RSAA seasons, Weber had a 8.06 ERA/-9 RSAA in 18 games with the Angels. He has a 3.58 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 25 RSAA in 218 games.
12) The Brewers re-signed 3B Russell Branyan to a 1 year, $800,000 contract, to avoid salary arbitration, and signed P Tommy Phelps to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After -2 RCAA/.777 OPS and -1 RCAA/.759 OPS seasons, Branyan hit .525 SLG, .324 OBA, .849 OPS, 3 RCAA in 51 games. He has a .797 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 4 RCAA in 51 games. He has a .797 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 4 RCAA in 451 games.
Phelps has a 4.27 ERA/-3 RSAA in 46 career games, including a 4.76 ERA/-3 RSAA in 19 games (4 starts) in 2004.
13) The Cardinals signed free agent C Einar Diaz to a 1 year, $600,000 contract.
After -30 RCAA/.542 OPS and -24 RCAA/.635 OPS seasons, Diaz had a .302 SLG, .293 OBA, .595 OPS, -10 RCAA in 55 games with the Expos. He has a .656 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -105 RCAA in 612 games.
14) The Rockies signed OF Reggie Taylor to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Taylor has -30 RCAA/.660 OPS in 249 career games.
15) The Cardinals re-signed P Al Reyes to a 1 year, $600,000 contract.
Reyes has a 3.92 ERA/19 RSAA in 232 career games, including a 0.75 ERA/5 RSAA in 12 games in 2004. He hasn’t pitched in more than 20 games in a season since 1999 and has a 3.92 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.52, and 19 RSAA in 232 games.
16) The Rockies signed P David Cortes to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Cortes has a 8.10 ERA/-3 RSAA in 6 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.