1) Pitchers and catchers report today for the Angels, Cubs, Diamondbacks, Mariners, Mets, Rangers and Whitesox.
2) A’s P Juan Cruz lost his arbitration case. He’ll get $600,000, instead of the $800,000 he was seeking.
After 3.98 ERA/0 RSAA and 6.05 ERA/-12 RSAA seasons, Cruz had a 2.75 ERA/12 RSAA in 50 games with the Braves. He had been acquired in the Tim Hudson trade and has a 3.99 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.25, and 5 RSAA in 128 games.
3) The Nationals traded INF Alejandro Machado to the Redsox for a player to be named later or cash.
4) Mariners P Travis Blackley had arthroscopic shoulder surgery and is expected to miss the entire season.
Blackley had a 10.04 ERA/-17 RSAA in his first 6 career starts.
5) Rich Lederer has a good article on Roger Clemens, and other pitchers, at http://www.all-baseball.com/richbeat/archives/017164.html
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.