1) The Mets activated 1B-C Mike Piazza from the DL, called up P Heath Bell, placed P Mike DeJean on the 15 day DL, retroactive to Saturday, and designated OF Brian Buchanan for assignment.
After 17 RCAA/.903 OPS and 7 RCAA/.860 OPS seasons, Piazza is hitting .474 SLG, .371 OBA, .845 OPS, 12 RCAA in his first 101 games. He has a .952 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 445 RCAA in 1562 games.
Bell has a 6.75 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 2 career games.
After 3.12 ERA/7 RSAA and 4.68 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, DeJean is off to a 4.57 ERA/1 RSAA start in his first 54 games (first 37 with the Orioles). He has a 4.30 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.35, and 39 RSAA in 497 games.
2) The Whitesox released P Mike Jackson and called up P Felix Diaz.
After missing the 2003 season, Jackson is off to a 5.01 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 45 games. He has a 3.42 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and 115 RSAA in 1005 games.
Diaz has a 9.00 ERA/-12 RSAA in his first 5 career starts (7 games).
3) The Indians sent OF Grady Sizemore to the minors and will call up OF Ryan Ludwick today.
Sizemore is off to a .326 SLG, .301 OBA, .627 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 30 career games.
Ludwick has -8 RCAA/.705 OPS in 70 career games.
4) Mets CF Mike Cameron has been out of the lineup for the past 2 games, due to a viral infection.
After 13 RCAA/.782 OPS and 3 RCAA/.774 OPS seasons, Cameron is hitting .496 SLG, .331 OBA, .828 OPS, 11 RCAA in his first 119 games. He has a .783 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 52 RCAA in 1171 games.
5) The Brewers called up P Ben Hendrickson and sent P Travis Phelps to the minors.
Hendrickson is off to a 7.66 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 5 career starts (6 games).
Phelps has a 4.34 ERA/2 RSAA in 78 career games, including a 13.50 ERA/-4 RSAA in 3 games in 2004.
6) According to the LA Times, Dodgers 3B Robin Ventura is considering retiring at the end of the season, but the Dodgers want him to return.
After 14 RCAA/.826 OPS and -3 RCAA/.741 OPS seasons, Ventura is hitting .333 SLG, .326 OBA, .659 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 78 games. He has a .805 career OPS, compared to his league average of .762, and 115 RCAA in 2055 games.
7) Cubs 3B Aramis Ramirez has been out of the lineup for the past 2 games, due to a strained left groin.
After -31 RCAA/.666 OPS and -4 RCAA/.788 OPS seasons, Ramirez is hitting .577 SLG, .364 OBA, .941 OPS, 20 RCAA in his first 115 games. He has a .783 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and -21 RCAA in 737 games.
8) The Twins called up OF Jason Kubel and sent P Jesse Crain to the minors.
Crain was stay with the team and will be recalled when the rosters expand tomorrow. He has a 2.45 ERA/3 RSAA in his first 9 career games.
9) Royals OF Ruben Mateo became a free agent when he refused the team’s assignment to the minors. Mateo had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on August 22.
10) The Mariners will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if (1) they lose to the BlueJays or (2) at least 2 out of the A’s, Angels and Rangers win.
11) The Padres passed the Giants into sole possession of 2nd place in the NL West.
12) Mike Piazza tied Carlton Fisk for 56th place on the all time HR list, with 376.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see