1) Tests on Cubs P Mark Prior showed no structural damage to his ligament or nerve and GM Jim Hendry says they aren’t planning on putting him on the DL.
There were concerns that he could have been headed for season ending surgery.
2) The Yankees placed P Mike Mussina on the 15 day DL, retroactive to July 9, and called up P Alex Graman.
Mussina has a sore elbow. After 4.05 ERA/7 RSAA and 3.40 ERA/23 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 5.20 ERA/-8 RSAA start in his first 18 starts. He has a 3.60 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.59, and 286 RSAA in 404 games.
Graman has a 11.57 ERA/-4 RSAA in his first 2 career games (1 start).
2) According to the Boston Globe, a MLB executive “with direct knowledge of the talks between the clubs” says the Cubs think their chances of acquiring Nomar Garciaparra are “50-50”, with the only chance of that happening being a 3 way deal in which the Redsox acquire Randy Johnson. The paper also reports the Redsox have tried to acquire Mariners SS Rich Aurilia, who was designated last week, but he appears to be headed to the Padres.
According to the LA Daily News, the Diamondbacks are focusing on the Angels, since they aren’t impressed by the prospects the Yankees could offer for Johnson. Meanwhile, Angels owner Arte Moreno is backing off from a statement earlier in the week in his downplayed the chances of the team acquiring him.
According to NY Newsday, the only team Randy Johnson’s interested in waiving his no trade clause to is the Yankees.
4) BlueJays 1B Carlos Delgado’s agent says he’s not willing to waive his no trade clause.
5) An MRI and bone scan on Whitesox DH Frank Thomas showed a partial stress fracture of the navicular bone in his left foot. Thomas, who is on the DL, is expected to be out for 8 weeks and will be able to avoid season ending surgery.
6) The Phillies moved into sole possession of 1st place in the NL East.
7) The Brewers moved into a virtual tie, with the Reds, for 3rd place in the NL Central. The Brewers lead in PCT.
8) Indians C Victor Martinez hit 3 HR in a game.
Martinez has 11 RCAA/.825 OPS in 139 career games, including a .542 SLG, .370 OBA, .913 OPS, 16 RCAA in 78 games in 2004.
9) The BlueJays activated CF Vernon Wells from the DL and sent INF Howie Clark to the minors.
After -4 RCAA/.762 OPS and 32 RCAA/.909 OPS seasons, Wells is hitting .487 SLG, .372 OBA, .859 OPS, 8 RCAA in his first 65 games. He has a .829 career OPS, compared to his league average of .764, and 31 RCAA in 442 games.
Clark has -7 RCAA/.721 OPS in 92 career games, including a .348 SLG, .292 OBA, .640 OPS, -7 RCAA in a career high 40 games in 2004.
10) The Mets pushed Scott Erickson’s return back to Monday, since they didn’t want to weaken the bullpen by sending down a reliever. But, there are reports that they could free up a spot for him earlier by trading OF Karim Garcia.
11) The Cubs activated P Todd Wellemeyer from the DL and sent 3B Brendan Harris to the minors.
Wellemeyer has a 5.09 ERA/-4 RSAA in 24 career games, including a 2.08 ERA/3 RSAA in 9 games in 2004.
Harris was 2 for 9, with a 2B and a BB, in his first 3 career games.
12) The Marlins signed 3B Ryan Minor to a minor league contract.
Minor, who hasn’t played in the majors since 2001, has -33 RCAA/.487 OPS in 142 career games.
13) The Rangers released minor league P Rick Helling.
Helling has a 4.77 ERA/-10 RSAA in 266 career games.
14) The Dodgers will activate P Odalis Perez from the DL today and place P Edwin Jackson on the 15 day DL.
After 3.00 ERA/18 RSAA and 4.52 ERA/-11 RSAA seasons, Perez has a 2.96 ERA/13 RSAA in his first 16 starts. He has a 4.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.28, and -3 RSAA in 130 games.
Jackson has a strained forearm. He has a 2.94 ERA/4 RSAA in his first 7 career games, including a 3.86 ERA/0 RSAA in 3 starts in 2004.
15) Redsox LF Manny Ramirez was out of yesterday’s lineup, due to a tight left hamstring.
After 73 RCAA/1.097 OPS and 59 RCAA/1.014 OPS seasons, Ramirez is hitting .674 SLG, .434 OBA, 1.108 OPS, 41 RCAA in his first 86 games. He has a 1.016 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 565 RCAA in 1469 games.
16) The Marlins signed P Chris Michalak to a minor league contract.
Michalak, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2002, has a 4.66 ERA/3 RSAA in 53 career games.
17) The Mariners activated P Aaron Taylor from the DL and sent him to the minors.
Taylor has a 8.66 ERA/-9 RSAA in 15 career games.
18) The Twins released minor league OF Brian Simmons.
Simmons, who hasn’t played in the majors since 2001, has -14 RCAA/.638 OPS in 119 career games.
19) The Pirates signed P Pat Mahomes to a minor league contract.
Mahomes has a 5.47 ERA/-73 RSAA in 308 career games.
20) The Mets signed P Vic Darensbourg to a minor league contract.
Darensbourg has a 5.07 ERA/-25 RSAA in 282 career games, including 1 1/3 shutout innings (1 RSAA) in 2 games with the 2004 Whitesox.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see