1) Yesterday’s score–
Yankees at Redsox–PPD
2) Today’s schedule–
Cardinals (Jeff Suppan, 4.16) at Astros (Roger Clemens, 2.98), 4:00
Yankees (Orlando Hernandez, 3.30) at Redsox (Tim Wakefield, 4.87), 7:30
3) Cardinals P Steve Kline aggravated a torn tendon in his hand on Thursday and could miss the rest of the NLCS.
After 3.39 ERA/3 RSAA and 3.82 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Kline had a 1.79 ERA/13 RSAA in 67 games. He has a 3.30 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 56 RSAA in 589 games.
4) The A’s declined their options on RF Jermaine Dye and P Chris Hammond, removed 1B Graham Koonce, INF Esteban German, 3B-OF Mike Edwards, OF Billy McMillon, C Mike Rose and P Kirk Saarloos from the 40 man roster and added OF Nelson Cruz to the 40 man roster.
After 0 RCAA/.792 OPS and -20 RCAA/.514 OPS seasons, Dye had a .464 SLG, .329 OBA, .793 OPS, -2 RCAA in 137 games. He has a .797 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 5 RCAA in 1039 games.
After 0.95 ERA/27 RSAA and 2.86 ERA/10 RSAA seasons, Hammond had a 2.68 ERA/12 RSAA in 41 games. He has a 4.08 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.08, and 5 RSAA in 357 games.
Koonce was 1 for 8, with -1 RCAA, in his first 6 career games.
German has -7 RCAA/.559 OPS in 45 career games, including a .300 SLG, .297 OBA, .597 OPS, -4 RCAA in 31 games in 2004.
Edwards was 1 for 4, with 2 BB, with the 2003 A’s.
After having 5 RCAA/.812 OPS in 2003, McMillon had a .326 SLG, .255 OBA, .581 OPS, -8 RCAA in 52 games. Those are the only times he’s played more than 50 games and he has a .718 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -7 RCAA in 269 games.
Rose was 0 for 2 in his first 2 career games.
Saarloos has a 5.43 ERA/-18 RSAA in 59 career games, including a 4.44 ERA/1 RSAA in 5 starts (6 games) in 2004.
5) The Dodgers declined their option on P Elmer Dessens and removed INF Jose Flores from the 40 man roster.
After 3.03 ERA/28 RSAA and 5.07 ERA/-6 RSAA seasons, Dessens had a 4.46 ERA/-1 RSAA in 50 games (10 GS–first 38 G/9 GS with the Diamondbacks). He has a 4.46 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.32, and 9 RSAA in 249 games.
Flores has -2 RCAA/.543 OPS in 16 career games, including 1 for 4, with a BB and -1 RCAA, in 9 games in 2004.
6) The Twins declined their option on SS Cristian Guzman, exercised their option on C Henry Blanco and removed DH Jose Offerman and C Pat Borders from the 40 man roster and they both became free agents when they refused their assignments to the minors.
After -24 RCAA/.677 OPS and -18 RCAA/.676 OPS seasons, Guzman had a .384 SLG, .309 OBA, .693 OPS, -24 RCAA in 145 games. He has a .685 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -133 RCAA in 841 games.
After -16 RCAA/.602 OPS and -14 RCAA/.523 OPS seasons, Blanco had a .368 SLG, .260 OBA, .628 OPS, -26 RCAA in 114 games. He has a .644 career OPS, compared to his league average of .781, and -115 RCAA in 538 games.
After being out of the majors in 2003, Offerman hit .395 SLG, .363 OBA, .759 OPS, 0 RCAA in 77 games. He has a .734 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and -22 RCAA in 1565 games.
After playing in a total of 33 games from 1999-2003, Borders had a .326 SLG, .247 OBA, .574 OPS, -7 RCAA in 38 games (first 19 with the Mariners). He has a .669 career OPS, compared to his league average of .743, and -117 RCAA in 1060 games.
7) The Phillies claimed P Aaron Fultz off waivers from the Twins.
After 4.79 ERA/-5 RSAA and 5.21 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Fultz had a 5.04 ERA/-2 RSAA in 55 games. He has a 4.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.48, and -16 RSAA in 286 games.
8) Twins 2B Luis Rivas had arthroscopic surgery to remove bone spurs from his elbow.
After -12 RCAA/.697 OPS and -23 RCAA/.689 OPS seasons, Rivas had a .432 SLG, .283 OBA, .715 OPS, -11 RCAA in 109 games. He has a .695 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and -68 RCAA in 506 games.
9) The Indians declined their option on P Bob Wickman and removed INF Lou Merloni and C Tim Laker from the 40 man roster, who both became free agents when they refused their assignments to the minors.
Wickman is considering retiring. After missing the 2003 season after having Tommy John surgery, he had a 4.25 ERA/1 RSAA in 30 games. Wickman has a 3.70 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 78 RSAA in 657 games.
After -3 RCAA/.724 OPS and -2 RCAA/.704 OPS seasons, Merloni hit .426 SLG, .343 OBA, .769 OPS, -4 RCAA in 71 games. He has a .722 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -31 RCAA in 409 games.
After -2 RCAA/.580 OPS and -8 RCAA/.645 OPS seasons, Laker had a .308 SLG, .262 OBA, .570 OPS, -11 RCAA in 43 games. He has a .601 career OPS, compared to his league average of .759, and -42 RCAA in 276 games.
10) The Phillies exercised their option on P Billy Wagner.
After 2.52 ERA/15 RSAA and 1.78 ERA/26 RSAA seasons, Wagner had a 2.42 ERA/10 RSAA in 45 games. He has a 2.52 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and 109 RSAA in 509 games.
11) Phillies P Felix Rodriguez exercised his player option to remain with the team in 2005.
After 4.17 ERA/-3 RSAA and 3.10 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Rodriguez had a 3.29 ERA/8 RSAA in 76 games (first 53 with the Giants). He has a 3.41 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 42 RSAA in 498 games.
12) The Pirates added C Ronny Paulino to the 40 man roster.
13) The Pirates declined their option on P Brian Boehringer.
After 3.39 ERA/9 RSAA and 5.49 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Boehringer had a 4.62 ERA/-1 RSAA in 21 games. He has a 4.36 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.43, and -5 RSAA in 356 games.
14) ON October 8, Johnny Sturm died at the age of 88.
Sturm had a .293 SLG, .293 OBA, .592 OPS, -32 RCAA in 124 games with the 1941 Yankees.
15) The Tigers claimed OF DeWayne Wise off waivers from the Braves and claimed OF Byron Gettis off waivers from the Royals.
Wise has -17 RCAA/.614 OPS in 147 career games, including a .444 SLG, .272 OBA, .716 OPS, -5 RCAA in 77 games in 2004.
Gettis had a .256 SLG, .327 OBA, .583 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 21 career games.
16) The Royals re-signed OF Aaron Guiel to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training and removed P Jimmy Serrano from the 40 man roster.
Guiel had been removed from the 40 man roster earlier in the month.
Serrano had a 4.68 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 10 career games (5 starts).
17) The Orioles removed OF Darnell McDonald and added P Jacobo Sequea to the 40 man roster.
McDonald had a .188 SLG, .206 OBA, .393 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 17 career games.
18) The Expos removed P Jeriome Robertson from the 40 man roster.
Robertson had a 5.71 ERA/-26 RSAA in 51 career games, including a 12.21 ERA/-12 RSAA in 8 games in 2004.
19) The Braves removed Ps Tim Drew and Travis Smith from the 40 man roster and released 1B-OF Carlos Guzman.
Drew has a 7.02 ERA/-23 RSAA in 35 career games, including a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in a career high 11 games in 2004.
Smith has a 6.61 ERA/-28 RSAA in 29 career games, including a 6.20 ERA/-9 RSAA in 16 games (4 starts) in 2004.
20) Rockies 3B Vinny Castilla declined his part of a mutual option for 2005.
After -38 RCAA/.616 OPS and -9 RCAA/.771 OPS seasons, Castilla hit .535 SLG, .332 OBA, .867 OPS, -9 RCAA in 148 games. He has a Coors inflated .813 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -159 RCAA in 1625 games.
21) According to the Chicago Tribune, the Whitesox are interested in Omar Vizquel, who will be a free agent.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and come out in October. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded and could include a free copy of the current edition. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.