1) The Redsox announced they plan on making renovations to Fenway Park and will continue to play their indefinitely.
2) The Pirates released P Albie Lopez.
Lopez has a 4.94 ERA/-26 RSAA in 297 career games and didn’t pitch in the majors in 2004.
3) The Braves claimed 2B Jason Bourgeois off waivers from the Rangers.
4) Orioles P Sidney Ponson was involved in another fight. Ponson, who is currently facing assault charges in Aruba, had an altercation in a local restaurant. According to his teammates, he was defending himself.
5) The Redsox sent INF Tim Hummel, C Jeff Bailey and Ps Lenny DiNardo, Mark Malaska, Scott Cassidy and Jason Kershner to the minors.
6) Lary Sorensen was sentenced to 23-60 months in prison, for his 6th DWI conviction, along with 11 months for violation of probation in a 2003 case, while he was given credit for 99 days that he’s already served.
Sorensen pitched for 7 teams from 1977-88. He had a 4.15 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.96, and -30 RSAA in 346 games.
7) According to the Detroit News, Tigers OF Bobby Higginson might be in danger of being released.
Higginson is having a bad spring and lost his starting job when Magglio Ordonez was signed as a free agent.
8) The Twins sent Ps Scott Baker and Dave Gassner to the minors.
9) The Mariners sent C Wiki Gonzalez and Ps Jorge Campillo and Aaron Lopez to the minors.
10) The Diamondbacks sent C Craig Ansman and P Shane Nance to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.