The Hardball Times 2004 Baseball Annual is an in-depth analysis of the 2004 season by the authors at The Hardball Times (http://www.hardballtimes.com). The book has over 150 pages of groundbreaking stats and graphs, and nearly 150 pages of articles and analysis of the 2004 season, including division-by-division articles, a playoff recap, the essay “Ichiro’s Edge” by the legendary Bill James, and much more.
1) The Brewers sent Ps Ben Hendrickson, Jose Capellan and Jeff Bennett to the minors.
2) The Brewers traded C Mark Johnson to the Cubs for OF Travis Ezi.
The Brewers had sent Johnson to the minors before dealing him. Johnson has -52 RCAA/.632 OPS in 322 career games, including 1 for 11, with 3 BB and -1 RCAA, in 7 games in 2004.
3) According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Brewers are rumored to have placed PH-P Brooks Kieschnick on waivers and he will be designated for assignment if he’s unclaimed in 72 hours. According to the paper, MLB rules prohibit teams from commenting on pending waiver rules, but GM Doug Melvin has confirmed that there are at least a couple of teams interested in trading for him.
4) The Twins placed OF Jason Kubel on the 60 day DL and returned P Ryan Rowland-Smith to the Mariners.
Kubel is recovering from knee surgery and is expected to miss the entire season. In 2004, he hit .433 SLG, .358 OBA, .792 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 23 career games.
Rowland-Smith was a Rule 5 draftee.
5) The Dodgers sent 2B Joe Thurston, INFs Jose Flores and Tony Schrager, OF Chin-Feng Chen, C Dioner Navarro and Ps Edwin Jackson, Frank Brooks and Aquilino Lopez to the minors.
6) The Rockies sent OF Reggie Taylor to the minors.
7) The Royals sent INF Luis Ugueto, OF Matt Diaz, C Matt Tupma and Ps Santiago Ramirez, Justin Huisman, Ryan Jensen and Ambiorix Burgos to the minors.
8) The Mariners sent SS Jose Lopez, OF Jamal Strong and P Cha Seung Baek to the minors.
9) The Pirates sent 1B Graham Koonce, C-INF Edwards Guzman and P Zach Duke to the minors.
10) The Tigers sent 1B-3B Mike Hessman, SSs Tony Giarratano and Kevin Hooper and C Michael Rivera to the minors.
11) The Angels sent INF Zach Sorensen and P Scott Dunn to the minors.
12) The Rangers sent OF Ramon Nivar to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.