1) According to the Boston Herald, Jason Varitek, whose agent is Scott Boras, is looking for a 5 year contract, with a no trade clause.
2) According to the San Diego Union Tribune, the Redsox and A’s are interested in Padres CF Jay Payton.
3) The Braves will reportedly shop CF Andruw Jones around.
4) According to the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles would like to acquire a couple of starting pitchers.
5) According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Phillies are interested in Ps Carl Pavano and Derek Lowe.
6) According to the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers are interested in Pavano.
7) According to the Denver Post, there are 6 teams who are interested in Rockies P Shawn Chacon, including the Phillies, Rangers, Cubs and Expos.
8) The Phillies released P Eric Junge.
Junge had a 2.21 ERA/3 RSAA in 10 games in 2002-03.
9) The Expos added 1B Larry Broadway and Ps Michael Hinckley, Darrell Rasner, Josh Karp and Danny Rueckel to the 40 man roster.
10) The Redsox claimed P Billy Traber off waivers from the Indians.
Traber, who missed the entire 2004 season after having Tommy John surgery, had a 5.24 ERA/-13 RSAA in 33 games (18 starts) in 2003.
11) The Yankees named Joe Girardi bench coach.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.