1) According to the Boston Herald, the Redsox are unlikely to re-sign free agent SS Orlando Cabrera, since he wants a 4 or 5 year contract, while the team isn’t interested in even a 3 year deal.
2) According to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, the Rangers met with free agent 2B Todd Walker over the weekend and are planning on meeting with Jermaine Dye this week.
3) According to the NY Post, the Mets have made an approximately $10 million/year offer to free agent 1B Richie Sexson.
4) According to the Seattle Times, free agent P Jaret Wright is the Mariners top pitching target, while they’ve also scheduled a meeting with Carl Pavano.
5) The Padres signed free agent P Dennys Reyes to a 1 year, $550,000 contract.
After 5.33 ERA/-3 RSAA and 10.66 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Reyes had a 4.75 ERA/-4 RSAA in 40 games (12 starts) with the Royals. He has a 4.76 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.43, and -17 RSAA in 308 games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.