1) Yesterday’s score–
Yankees 9, Redsox 2
AL EAST WON LOST PCT GB HOME ROAD EAST CENT WEST STREAK Yankees 1 0 1.000 - 01-00 00-00 01-00 00-00 00-00 WON 1 Orioles 0 0 1/2 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 BlueJays 0 0 1/2 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 Devil Rays 0 0 1/2 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 00-00 Redsox 0 1 .000 1 00-00 00-01 00-01 00-00 00-00 LOST 1
3) Today’s schedule–
Royals (Jose Lima) at Tigers (Jeremy Bonderman), 1:05
Indians (Jake Westbrook) at Whitesox (Mark Buehrle), 3:05
A’s (Barry Zito) at Orioles (Rodrigo Lopez), 3:05
BlueJays (Roy Halladay) at Devil Rays (Dewon Brazelton), 4:15
Twins (Brad Radke) at Mariners (Jamie Moyer), 5:05
Brewers (Ben Sheets) at Pirates (Oliver Perez), 1:35
Mets (Pedro Martinez) at Reds (Paul Wilson), 2:10
Nationals (Livan Hernandez) at Phillies (Jon Lieber), 3:05
Padres (Woody Williams) at Rockies (Joe Kennedy), 4:05
Cubs (Carlos Zambrano) at Diamondbacks (Javier Vazquez), 5:10
4) Yesterday’s HR–
5) HR leaders
1) Hideki Matsui–1
1) Devil Rays OF Alex Sanchez was suspended for 10 days for violation of MLB’s drug program. MLB refuses to confirm that it’s steroids, but that’s the only thing that gets a 10 day suspension.
After -3 RCAA/.701 OPS and -15 RCAA/.681 OPS seasons, Sanchez hit .386 SLG, .335 OBA, .721 OPS, -7 RCAA in 79 games with the Tigers. He has a .691 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -30 RCAA in 365 games.
2) Yesterday’s Yankees-Redsox game was the 1st time that both starters (Randy Johnson and David Wells) in an Opening Day game had previously pitched perfect games.
It was also the first night Opening Day game in Yankees history.
3) The Yankees placed P Kevin Brown on the 15 day DL and called up INF Andy Phillips.
Brown has back pain. After 4.81 ERA/-8 RSAA and 2.39 ERA/38 RSAA seasons, Brown had a 4.09 ERA/5 RSAA in 22 starts. He has a 3.20 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.30, and 321 RSAA in 473 games.
Phillips was 2 for 8, with a HR, in his first 5 career games.
4) The Diamondbacks added OF Quinton McCracken to the 40 man roster, designated OF Reggie Abercrombie for assignment and placed SS Jerry Gil on the 15 day DL.
Gil has a knee injury and is expected to be sent to the minors when he comes off the DL.
5) Marius Russo died on March 26, at the age of 90.
Russo had a 3.13 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.12, and 53 RSAA in 120 games with the 1939-43 and 1946 Yankees.
6) Mets P Kris Benson may have to miss his first start, due to a strained pectoral muscle.
After 4.70 ERA/-5 RSAA and 4.97 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Benson had a 4.31 ERA/-3 RSAA in 31 starts with the Pirates and Mets. He has a 4.28 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and 11 RSAA in 137 games, but hasn’t had a positive RSAA since 2000.
7) The Rangers placed P Carlos Almanzar on the bereavement list, called up P Nick Regilio, sent INFs Ian Kinsler and Cody Ransom, OFs Layne Nix and Andres Torres, C Gerald Laird and Ps Vladimir Nunez and Keith Stamler to the minors, placed Ps Pedro Astacio, Joaquin Benoit, Frank Francisco and Erasmo Ramirez on the 15 day DL, all retroactive to March 25, placed 1B Greg Colbrunn on the 15 day DL, retroactive to March 29, designated Ps Travis Hughes and Agustin Montero for assignment and added OF Chad Allen to the 40 man roster.
8) The Rockies placed 3B Garrett Atkins on the 15 day DL and called up 3B Jeff Baker.
Atkins has a strained right hamstring. He has -7 RCAA/.562 OPS in 40 career games, including a .536 SLG, .424 OBA, .960 OPS, 3 RCAA in 15 games in 2004.
9) The Devil Rays signed 3B-1B-C Eric Munson to a minor league contract.
10) The Yankees signed Ps Pete Munro and Wayne Franklin to minor league contracts.
11) The Devil Rays called up OF Joey Gathright.
12) The Cubs added P Chad Fox to the 40 man roster.
13) The Cardinals placed P Matt Morris (retroactive to March 29) and Mike Lincoln (retroactive to March 25) on the 15 day DL.
Morris is recovering from shoulder surgery. After 3.42 ERA/10 RSAA and 3.76 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.72 ERA/-12 RSAA in 32 starts. Morris has a 3.53 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.27, and 82 RSAA in 206 games.
Lincoln is recovering from Tommy John surgery. He has a 5.16 ERA/-15 RSAA in 161 career games, including a 5.19 ERA/-2 RSAA in 13 games in 2004.
14) The BlueJays added C Greg Myers and P Pete Walker to the 40 man roster and designated P Justin Miller for assignment.
15) The Tigers placed P Colby Lewis on the 15 day DL.
Lewis is recovering from shoulder surgery.
16) The Pirates placed P Sean Burnett on the 60 day DL.
Burnett is recovering from Tommy John surgery.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.