1) The Diamondbacks signed free agent 1B Tony Clark to a 1 year, $750,000 contract.
After -22 RCAA/.556 OPS and -4 RCAA/.772 OPS seasons, Clark had a .458 SLG, .297 OBA, .755 OPS, -5 RCAA in 106 games with the Yankees. He has a .821 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 39 RCAA in 1093 games.
2) The Reds signed free agent SS Rich Aurilia to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After -8 RCAA/.718 OPS and -12 RCAA/.735 OPS seasons, Aurilia had a .353 SLG, .314 OBA, .667 OPS, -1 RCAA in 124 games with the Mariners and Padres. He has a .764 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and -1 RCAA in 1117 games.
3) The Devil Rays signed OF Chris Singleton to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training, and outrighted C Pete LaForest to the minors.
Singleton, who was out of the majors in 2004, has -45 RCAA/.727 OPS in 676 career games.
4) The Whitesox signed 2B Tadahito Iguchi to a 2 year, $5 million contract.
5) The Pirates re-signed RF-3B Rob Mackowiak to a 1 year, $1.5 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration, and signed free agent OF Ben Grieve to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After -2 RCAA/.754 OPS and 4 RCAA/.784 OPS seasons, Mackowiak hit .420 SLG, .319 OBA, .739 OPS, -2 RCAA in 155 games. He has a .748 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -5 RCAA in 451 games.
After 4 RCAA/.784 OPS and -1 RCAA/.716 OPS seasons, Grieve hit .424 SLG, .361 OBA, .785 OPS, 0 RCAA in 123 games with the Brewers and Cubs. He has a .810 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 55 RCAA in 953 games.
6) Carlos Delgado’s agent confirmed that the Mets are back in the running for him.
7) The Dodgers re-signed P Brad Penny to a 1 year, $5.1 million contract, with an invitation to spring training.
After 4.66 ERA/-10 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, Penny had a 3.15 ERA/15 RSAA in 24 starts (first 21 with the Marlins). He has a 4.03 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and 8 RSAA in 134 games.
8) The Indians re-signed P Jake Westbrook to a 2 year, $7.5 million contract, to avoid salary arbitration.
After 5.83 ERA/-6 RSAA and 4.33 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Westbrook had a 3.38 ERA/28 RSAA in 30 starts (33 games). It was his first year with a positive RSAA and he has a 4.37 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 5 RSAA in 104 games.
9) The Dodgers list of nonroster invitees–INFs Jose Flores, James Loney and Joe Thurston, OFs Chin-Feng Chen, Mike Edwards and Henri Stanley, C Mike Rose, Ps Mike Venafro, Kelly Wunsch, Aquilino Lopez, Ryan Rupe and Buddy Carlyle.
10) The Dodgers are reportedly close to signing Scott Erickson to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.