1) A congressional committee issued subpoenas for Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Jason Giambi, Rafael Palmeiro, Sammy Sosa, Frank Thomas and Curt Schilling. The union is considering fighting the subpoenas.
2) Cardinals P Rick Ankiel will try moving to the OF.
In his limited time in the majors, Ankiel has been unable to hit, posing a .310 SLG, .258 OBA, .568 OPS, -8 RCAA in 96 PA.
3) Redsox P Wade Miller says he will miss at least April.
After 3.28 ERA/19 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Miller had a 3.35 ERA/10 RSAA in 15 starts, before suffering a season ending shoulder injury in June. He has spent his entire career with the Astros and has a 3.87 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 56 RSAA in 127 games.
4) The Whitesox signed OF-1B Jeremy Giambi to a minor league contract and sent 1B Jorge Toca, OF Tony Alvarez, C Jonathan Aceves and Ps Enemencio Pacheco and Eduardo Villacis to the minors.
Giambi, who didn’t play in the majors in 2004, has 27 RCAA/.807 OPS in 510 career games.
5) The Mets sent 1B Craig Brazell, 2B-3B Aarom Baldiris and P Bobby Keppel to the minors.
6) The Devil Rays sent 3B Brandon Larson and Earl Snyder, OFs Brian Buchanan and Damon Hollins, Cs Paul Hoover and Dan Massiatte and Ps Jimmy Haynes, Joe Beimel, Tim Corcoran, Gerardo Garcia, John Webb, Carlos Hines and Jon Switzer to the minors.
7) The Brewers sent INF Enrique Cruz and Ps Ben Diggins and Dennis Sarfate to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.