1) The Whitesox re-signed P Freddy Garcia to a 3 year, $27 million contract extension.
After 4.39 ERA/-6 RSAA and 4.51 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Garcia is off to a 3.35 ERA/9 RSAA start in his first 16 starts (first 15 with the Mariners). He has a 3.90 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.62, and 60 RSAA in 171 games.
2) Reds SS Barry Larkin asked the team to cancel the retirement ceremonies that were scheduled for October 2.
After -27 RCAA/.672 OPS and -3 RCAA/.726 OPS seasons, Larkin is hitting .409 SLG, .349 OBA, .758 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 65 games. He has a .815 career OPS, compared to his league average of .750, and 270 RCAA in 2134 games.
3) The BlueJays activated 1B Carlos Delgado from the DL and sent P Adam Peterson to the minors.
After 49 RCAA/.955 OPS and 69 RCAA/1.019 OPS seasons, Delgado is hitting .415 SLG, .338 OBA, .753 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 49 games. He has a .946 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 369 RCAA in 1344 games.
Peterson had a 16.88 ERA/-4 RSAA in his first 3 career games.
4) Redsox DH Ellis Burks is going to have knee surgery tomorrow morning.
If he can return this year, which is uncertain, it won’t be until September.
5) The Giants activated P Jason Christiansen from the DL and sent P David Aardsma to the minors.
After 5.40 ERA/-1 RSAA (just 6 G) and 5.19 ERA/-3 RSAA seasons, Christiansen is off to a 4.66 ERA/-1 RSAA start in his first 32 games. He has a 4.19 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 5 RSAA in 432 games.
6) The Marlins called up utilityman Josh Willingham, to take Josh Beckett’s spot on the roster.
7) The Orioles claimed C Ken Huckaby off waivers from the Rangers. To make room for him on the 40 man roster, P Eric DuBose was moved from the 15 to the 60 day DL and they will make another room to get Huckaby on the 25 man roster.
Huckaby has -24 RCAA/.561 OPS in 102 career games, including a .200 SLG, .250 OBA, .450 OPS, -4 RCAA in 8 games in 2004.
8) Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria says, of the rumors that they are considering trading for Nomar Garciaparra, it’s “not happening.”
9) The Indians activated P Bob Wickman from the DL and designated P Jose Jimenez for assignment.
Wickman, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2002, has a 3.68 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 77 RSAA in 627 games.
After 3.56 ERA/12 RSAA and 5.22 ERA/-5 RSAA seasons, Jimenez has a 8.42 ERA/-16 RSAA in his first 31 games. He has a 4.92 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and 3 RSAA in 329 games.
10) According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers may be interested in Jimenez.
11) The Rangers placed DH-1B Herbert Perry on the 15 day DL and called up INF Manny Alexander.
Perry has a sprained right calf. After -5 RCAA/.813 OPS and -3 RCAA/.375 OPS (just 11 G) seasons, Perry has a .402 SLG, .311 OBA, .712 OPS, -6 RCAA in his first 40 games. He has a .775 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -29 RCAA in 520 games.
Alexander, who hasn’t played in the majors since 2000, has -73 RCAA/.613 OPS in 541 career games.
12) The Angels sent SS Alfredo Amezaga to the minors and activated INF Shane Halter from the DL.
Amezaga has -13 RCAA/.569 OPS in 85 career games, including a .171 SLG, .213 SLG, .385 OPS, -9 RCAA in 36 games in 2004.
After -9 RCAA/.704 OPS and -23 RCAA/.611 OPS seasons, Halter is off to a .379 SLG, .250 OBA, .629 OPS, -6 RCAA start in his first 38 games. He has a .690 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and -68 RCAA in 682 games.
13) The Expos placed P Zach Day on the 15 day DL and called up P Chad Bentz.
After starting his career with 3.62 ERA/2 RSAA and 4.18 ERA/14 RSAA seasons, Day has a 4.04 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 17 games. He has a 4.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.27, and 17 RSAA in 59 games.
Bentz has a 5.03 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 31 career games.
14) A MRI on Cardinals 3B Scott Rolen’s sore left knee showed irritation in the joint. He’s been bothered by this for about a month and expects to be able to continue to play.
15) The Diamondbacks activated P Brian Bruney from the DL and sent INF Andy Green to the minors.
Bruney has a 3.72 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 10 career games.
Green is off to a .455 SLG, .250 OBA, .705 OPS, -1 RCAA start in his first 7 career games.
16) The Whitesox activated P Scott Schoeneweis from the DL and sent P Jon Rauch to the minors.
After 4.88 ERA/-7 RSAA and 4.18 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, Schoeneweis is off to a 4.36 ERA/6 RSAA start in his first 14 starts. He has a 4.99 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.62, and -19 RSAA in 217 games.
Rauch has a 6.51 ERA/-7 RSAA in 10 career games, including a 6.23 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 starts in 2004.
17) The Rockies sent P Marc Kroon to the minors after he cleared waivers. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment last week.
18) Dodgers 2B Jose Hernandez hit his 150th career HR.
After 11 RCAA/.834 OPS and -37 RCAA/.634 OPS seasons, Hernandez is hitting .463 SLG,. 396 OBA, .860 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 43 games. He has a .732 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -118 RCAA in 1366 games.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see