1) According to the Houston Chronicle, on Tuesday, the Astros were close to a 3 way trade to acquire Carlos Beltran. They would have sent P Octavio Dotel and a minor leaguer (possibly C John Buck) to the A’s, but the deal fell apart when the Royals and A’s couldn’t agree on their part of the deal. The paper also reports that “numerous team sources confirmed Wednesday that the Astros, along with a handful of other clubs, are still pursuing Beltran,” although GM Gerry Hunsicker won’t confirm or deny it.
Meanwhile, Royals GM Allard Baird says “nothing is imminent.”
2) Barry Bonds reached 100 walks for the 12th time.
After 161 RCAA/1.381 OPS and 115 RCAA/1.278 OPS seasons, Bonds is hitting .774 SLG, .612 OBA, 1.387 OPS, 61 RCAA in his first 62 games. He has a 1.042 career OPS, compared to his league average of .749, and 1405 RCAA in 2631 games.
Bonds is 2nd in 100 BB seasons–
1 Babe Ruth 13 2 Barry Bonds 12 T3 Lou Gehrig 11 T3 Ted Williams 11 T5 Mickey Mantle 10 T5 Frank Thomas 10 T5 Mel Ott 10 T8 Eddie Yost 8 T8 Joe Morgan 8 T10 Max Bishop 7 T10 Mike Schmidt 7 T10 Roy Thomas 7 T10 Jim Thome 7 T10 Jeff Bagwell 7 T10 Harmon Killebrew 7 T10 Rickey Henderson 7 T10 Jimmie Foxx 7
3) Reds 1B Sean Casey hit his 100th career HR.
After -15 RCAA/.696 OPS and -2 RCAA/.758 OPS seasons, Casey is working on a career year, hitting .628 SLG, .409 OBA, 1.036 OPS, 39 RCAA in his first 68 games. He has a .842 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 88 RCAA in 866 games.
4) The Devil Rays 12 game winning streak ended.
5) Devil Rays 1B Tino Martinez has tightness in his left hamstring and isn’t expected to return until the weekend.
After 6 RCAA/.776 OPS and 3 RCAA/.781 OPS seasons, Martinez is hitting .508 SLG, .374 OBA, .882 OPS, 8 RCAA in his first 57 games. He has a .819 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 109 RCAA in 1811 games.
6) The Rockies traded minor league OF Anthony Sanders to the BlueJays for a player to be named later.
Sanders had -1 RCAA/.656 OPS in 13 career games, from 1999-2001.
7) Dodgers CF Milton Bradley was scratched from yesterday’s lineup, due to stiffness in his right shoulder.
After -9 RCAA/.723 OPS and 34 RCA/.923 OPS seasons, Bradley is hitting .421 SLG, .367 OBA, .789 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 63 games. He has a .762 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -2 RCAA in 381 games.
8) The Padres activated OF Brian Buchanan from the DL and sent P Ricky Stone to the minors.
After 1 RCAA/.789 OPS and 2 RCAA/.801 OPS seasons, Buchanan is off to a .316 SLG, .262 OBA, .578 OPS, -2 RCAA start in his first 20 games. He has a .772 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -2 RCAA in 326 games.
Stone was recently claimed off waivers from the Astros and hasn’t made his Padres debut yet.
9) The Braves placed OF Dewayne Wise on the 15 day DL and called up OF Charles Thomas.
Wise has a strained left elbow. He has -16 RCAA/.595 OPS in 119 career games, including a .443 SLG, .268 OBA, .710 OPS, -4 RCAA in 49 games in 2004.
10) Marlins P Josh Beckett’s strained back muscle is probably going to force him to return to the DL.
11) Yankees RF Gary Sheffield’s shoulder injury may force him on to the DL.
12) Phillies CF Ricky Ledee returned to Philadelphia yesterday for hemorrhoid surgery and he’s not expected to return until at least next week and BP’s Will Carroll will be reporting that we can’t rule out the DL.
After 2 RCAA/.760 OPS and 5 RCAA/.809 OPS seasons, Ledee is hitting .584 SLG, .384 OBA, .968 OPS, 8 RCAA in his first 53 games. He has a .752 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -17 RCAA in 615 games.
13) The Giants activated P Brett Tomko from the DL and sent P David Aardsma to the minors.
After 4.49 ERA/-17 RSAA and 5.28 ERA/-26 RSAA seasons, Tomko is off to a 5.86 ERA/-12 RSAA start in his first 12 starts. He has a 4.69 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.34, and -58 RSAA in 209 games.
Aardsma has a 4.91 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 9 career games.
14) Angels 1B Darin Erstad had to leave yesterday’s game, due to a right hand injury, and is day to day.
After -5 RCAA/.702 OPS and -8 RCAA/.642 OPS seasons, Erstad is off to a .340 SLG, .302 OBA, .642 OPS, -6 RCAA start in his first 39 games. He has a .765 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 21 RCAA in 1041 games.
15) The Reds sent P Brian Reith to the minors after he cleared waivers. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on Saturday.
16) The Cardinals called up OF So Taguchi and sent C Cody McKay to the minors.
Taguchi has -1 RCAA/.789 OPS in 107 career games, including a .415 SLG, .319 OBA, .734 OPS, -2 RCAA in a career high 45 games in 2004.
After starting his career by going 2 for 3, with 1 RCAA, in 2 games with the 2002 A’s, McKay has a .246 SLG, .266 OBA, .512 OPS, -7 RCAA in 28
17) Redsox 2B Pokey Reese had to leave yesterday’s game, due to a partially torn ligament in his left thumb. But, he won’t need surgery and could return by the weekend.
After -11 RCAA/.681 OPS and -8 RCAA/.533 OPS seasons, Reese is off to a .360 SLG, .299 OBA, .658 OPS, -9 RCAA start in his first 63 games. He has a .666 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and -114 RCAA in 823 games.
18) The Cubs sent P Jimmy Anderson to the minors after he cleared waivers. He had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on Sunday.
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see