1) Alex Rodriguez passed Joe DiMaggio into 60th place on the all time HR list, with 363.
2) The Rangers moved into sole possession of 1st place in the AL West.
3) The Marlins moved into sole possession of 1st place in the NL East.
4) The Giants moved into 1st place in the NL West.
5) Mike Piazza tied Rocky Colavito for 55th place on the all time HR list, with 374.
6) Royals 1B Mike Sweeney hit his 150th career HR.
After 39 RCAA/.979 OPS and 9 RCAA/.858 OPS seasons, Sweeney is hitting .444 SLG, .318 OBA, .763 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 63 games. He has a .870 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 118 RCAA in 983 games.
7) Even though Diamondbacks 2B Roberto Alomar has come off the DL, manager Bob Brenly has told him that Scott Hairston will remain the starter. Alomar thinks it would be best for him to be traded.
8) Orioles 3B Melvin Mora’s foot injury is expected to keep him out of their entire 3 game series with the Yankees.
9) The Redsox signed P Curtis Leskanic and sent P Mark Malaska to the minors.
After 1.73 ERA/10 RSAA and 2.22 ERA/15 RSAA seasons, Leskanic had a 8.04 ERA/-7 RSAA in 19 games with the Royals. He has a 4.39 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 59 RSAA in 571 games.
Malaska has a 3.69 ERA/3 RSAA in 38 career games, including a 4.60 ERA/0 RSAA in 16 games in 2004.
10) Tigers SS Carlos Guillen’s new contract is 3 years, $14 million.
11) The BlueJays designated P Jason Kershner for assignment and called up P Adam Peterson.
After starting his career with 4.88 ERA/-2 RSAA and 3.17 ERA/10 RSAA seasons, Kershner is off to a 6.04 ERA/-4 RSAA start in his first 24 games (2 starts). He has a 4.22 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.45, and 4 RSAA in 89 games.
12) The Reds activated INF Juan Castro from the DL and sent P Jung Bong to the minors.
After -5 RCAA/.607 OPS and -15 RCAA/.678 OPS seasons, Castro is off to a .424 SLG, .333 OBA, .757 OPS, 2 RCAA start in his first 43 games. He has a .598 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -101 RCAA in 600 games.
Bong has a 5.17 ERA/-10 RSAA in 48 career games, including a 4.70 ERA/-2 RSAA in 3 starts in 2004.
13) Angels P John Lackey is dropping his appeal of his 5 game suspension and started to pretend he was suspended yesterday.
Since Aaron Sele came off the DL, Lackey’s next start was pushed a back a day. So, by going on 5 days rest, he can use those 5 days to pretend he’s being suspended.
14) Yankees RF Gary Sheffield was out of yesterday’s lineup, due to shoulder bursitis, and is day to day.
After 36 RCAA/.916 OPS and 72 RCAA/1.023 OPS seasons, Sheffield is hitting .474 SLG, .399 OBA, .873 OPS, 9 RCAA in his first 66 games. He has a .926 career OPS, compared to his league average of .758, and 574 RCAA in 1948 games.
15) The Orioles sent INF Jose Leon to the minors, to make room on the roster for P Jason Grimsley.
Leon has -10 RCAA/.599 OPS in 70 career games, including a .286 SLG, .182 OBA, .468 OPS, -4 RCAA in 13 games (22 PA) in 2004.
16) The Tigers called up OF Marcus Thames and placed INF Greg Norton on the 15 day DL and moved 2B Fernando Vina from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Thames has -8 RCAA/.577 OPS in 38 career games.
Norton has left knee inflammation. After -11 RCAA/.719 OPS and -4 RCAA/.772 OPS seasons with the Rockies, he’s off to a .256 SLG, .276 OBA, .531 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 41 games. Norton has a .745 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and -51 RCAA in 722 games.
17) The Royals placed C Kelly Stinnett on the 15 day DL and called up C Alberto Castillo and P Shawn Camp.
Stinnett has nerve irritation in his right elbow. After -2 RCAA/.710 OPS and -8 RCAA/.657 OPS seasons, he’s hitting .458 SLG, .379 OBA, .836 OPS, 3 RCAA in his first 20 games. Stinnett has a .709 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -53 RCAA in 608 games.
Castillo, who hasn’t played in more than 15 games in 2001, has -64 RCAA/.581 OPS in 344 career games.
Camp has a 3.80 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 13 career games, earlier this season.
18) Cardinals CF Jim Edmonds was scratched from yesterday’s lineup, due to a strained left groin, and was able to be used as a pinch hitter.
After 54 RCAA/.981 OPS and 42 RCAA/1.002 OPS seasons, Edmonds is hitting .558 SLG, .381 OBA, .938 OPS, 17 RCAA in his first 70 games. He has a .914 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and 297 RCAA in 1362 games.
19) The Orioles signed P Jerry Spradlin to a minor league contract.
Spradlin, who hasn’t pitched in the majors since 2000, has a 4.75 ERA/-11 RSAA in 310 career games.
Want to talk serious baseball with serious fans? Join the Baseball Clubhouse! This new forum allows members to talk about the current goings on in baseball, the rich history of the game, the Hall of Fame, answer and ask trivia questions, write essays, and participate in lively discussions about all aspects of the game we love so much. Visit the Baseball Clubhouse forums at http://www.bbclubhouse.com/forums
Be there, Aloha!
According to Peter Gammons, “There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins’ Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste.” The product Jayson Stark called “the best invention since the toaster oven!” has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation–the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It’s powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see