Around the Majors: 4000 SO for Randy Johnsonby Lee Sinins
June 29, 2004
1) Diamondbacks P Randy Johnson reached 4000 career SO.
After 2.32 ERA/62 RSAA and 4.26 ERA/6 RSAA seasons, Johnson's off to a 3.04 ERA/20 RSAA start in his first 17 starts. He has a 3.10 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.35, and 481 RSAA in 471 games.
Johnson was the 4th to reach 4000 SO and ranks 2nd vs. the league average.
STRIKEOUTS 1 Nolan Ryan 5714 2 Roger Clemens 4200 3 Steve Carlton 4136 4 Randy Johnson 4000 5 Bert Blyleven 3701 6 Tom Seaver 3640 7 Don Sutton 3574 8 Gaylord Perry 3534 9 Walter Johnson 3509 10 Phil Niekro 3342 STRIKEOUTS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Nolan Ryan 2536 5714 3178 2 Randy Johnson 1749 4000 2251 3 Roger Clemens 1310 4200 2890 4 Walter Johnson 1191 3509 2318 5 Rube Waddell 1116 2316 1200 6 Dazzy Vance 1086 2045 959 7 Steve Carlton 981 4136 3155 8 Pedro Martinez 968 2523 1555 9 Bob Feller 963 2581 1618 10 Sandy Koufax 958 2396 1438
Johnson also recently moved into the top 5 in NL history for SO vs. the league average--
STRIKEOUTS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Dazzy Vance 1081 2027 946 2 Steve Carlton 993 4000 3007 3 Sandy Koufax 958 2396 1438 4 Nolan Ryan 896 2359 1463 5 Randy Johnson 792 1838 1046 6 Tom Seaver 784 3272 2488 7 Amos Rusie 751 1934 1183 8 Bob Gibson 668 3117 2449 9 Curt Schilling 659 2500 1841 10 J.R. Richard 575 1493 918
He's also 5th in AL history--
STRIKEOUTS DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Nolan Ryan 1640 3355 1715 2 Roger Clemens 1279 4099 2820 3 Walter Johnson 1191 3509 2318 4 Bob Feller 963 2581 1618 5 Randy Johnson 957 2162 1205 6 Rube Waddell 951 1965 1014 7 Lefty Grove 844 2266 1422 8 Sam McDowell 827 2267 1440 9 Bert Blyleven 679 3179 2500 10 Pedro Martinez 667 1553 886
2) The Whitesox moved into a virtual tie, with the Twins, for 1st place in the AL Central. The Whitesox lead in PCT.
3) The Yankees recently moved C Dioner Navarro and 2B Robinson Cano to AAA and scouts from the Diamondbacks, Pirates, A's, Indians, Reds, Redsox, Phillies and BlueJays showed up for their AAA debuts on Monday.
4) According to the Dayton Daily News, the Reds have spoken to the Mets about 3B Ty Wigginton, but the Mets want pitching and the Reds don't have much to spare.
5) According to the NY Times, the Mets are scouting Pirates P Kris Benson.
6) According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, rumors that the Indians are interested in Benson are heating up and, while they are interested, the Pirates are asking for too much and the Indians are also more interested in Kip Wells.
7) According to the Los Angeles Times, several teams, including the Mets and Orioles, and interested in Angels P Ramon Ortiz.
8) According to the San Diego Union Tribune, the Padres are interested in Diamondbacks CF Steve Finley and think he'll waive his 10-and-5 rights and agree to a trade.
9) The Astros placed P Wade Miller on the 15 day DL and called up P Jeremy Griffiths.
Miller has a sore shoulder. After 3.28 ERA/19 RSAA and 4.13 ERA/7 RSAA seasons, Miller is off to a 3.35 ERA/8 RSAA start in his first 15 starts. He has a 3.87 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.32, and 54 RSAA in 127 games.
Griffiths had a 7.02 ERA/-13 RSAA in 6 starts (9 games) with the 2003 Mets and was acquired in the recent Richard Hidalgo trade.
10) Astros 2B Jeff Kent had to leave yesterday's game, due to a pulled right hamstring, and could be headed to the DL.
After 46 RCAA/.933 OPS and 13 RCAA/.860 OPS seasons, Kent is off to a .507 SLG, .348 OBA, .855 OPS, 4 RCAA start in his first 72 games. He has a .856 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 229 RCAA in 1704 games.
11) The Diamondbacks team record losing streak reached 11.
12) The Orioles placed RF Jay Gibbons on the 15 day DL, called up OF Chad Mottola and moved OF Marty Cordova from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Gibbons has a strained hip flexor and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. After 2 RCAA/.792 OPS and 9 RCAA/.786 OPS seasons, he's off to a .345 SLG, .290 OBA,. 636 OPS, -15 RCAA start in his first 53 games. Gibbons has a .768 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -5 RCAA in 422 games.
Mottola has -5 RCAA/.593 OPS in 43 career games, which most of them (35) coming with the 1996 Reds and he hasn't been in the majors since 2001.
13) The Indians called up OF Mark Little and P Bobby Howry, sent P Cliff Bartosh to the minors and designated P Jack Cressend for assignment.
Little, who hasn't been in the majors since 2002, has -9 RCAA/.704 OPS in 137 career games.
Howry has a 3.92 ERA/32 RSAA in 318 career games.
Bartosh had a 7.56 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 18 career games.
Cressend has a 4.20 ERA/5 RSAA in 122 career games, including a 6.32 ERA/-3 RSAA in 11 games in 2004.
14) Reds RF Austin Kearns will need surgery to remove scar tissue from his right thumb and is expected to be out for at least another 4-6 weeks.
Kearns was placed on the DL on June 8, retroactive to June 2.
15) The Rockies designated P Kevin Jarvis for assignment and called up C J.D. Closser.
Jarvis has a 5.93 ERA/-127 RSAA in 174 career games, including a 10.80 ERA/-11 RSAA in 10 games in 2004.
Closser is only expected to be up for a day and then P Dennis Stark will take his spot on the roster tomorrow, with Stark moving into the rotation.
16) Reds CF Ken Griffey Jr. was scratched from yesterday's lineup, due to cramps in his left calf, and was able to be used as a pinch hitter.
After -2 RCAA/.784 OPS and 11 RCAA/.936 OPS seasons, Griffey is hitting .509 SLG, .342 OBA, .851 OPS, 10 RCAA in his first 72 games. He has a .937 career OPS, compared to his league average of .759, and 545 RCAA in 1986 games.
17) Indians P C.C. Sabathia was diagnosed with merely a sore shoulder. He'll miss his next start, but won't have to go on the DL.
18) The Whitesox designated P Vic Darensbourg for assignment.
Darensbourg has a 5.07 ERA/-25 RSAA in 282 career games, including a 0.00 ERA/1 RSAA in 2 games in 2004.
This move makes room on the 25 man roster for both Freddy Garcia and Ben Davis.
19) Giants P Jerome Williams was scratched from yesterday's start, due to tendinitis in his shoulder, and is expected to be able to start on Sunday.
After being a very highly rated prospect, Williams started his career with a 3.30 ERA/14 RSAA in 21 starts in 2003 and is off to a 4.48 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 15 starts in 2004.
20) The Twins activated INF Nick Punto from the DL and sent P Matt Guerrier to the minors.
After starting his career with -6 RCAA/.544 OPS in 64 games with the 2003 Phillies (he also played in 13 games in 2001-02), Punto is off to a .268 SLG, .388 OBA, .656 OPS, 0 RCAA start in his first 22 games.
Guerrier had a 6.00 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 2 career starts (3 games).
21) Phillies LF Pat Burrell had to leave yesterday's game, due to a mildly strained right groin, and is day to day.
After 44 RCAA/.920 OPS and -15 RCAA/.713 OPS seasons, Burrell is hitting .498 SLG, .391OBA,. 889 OPS, 13 RCAA in his first 71 games. He has a .828 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 53 RCAA in 640 games.
22) The Reds sold minor league P Mark Watson to the Hiroshima Carp.
Watson has a 10.95 ERA/-8 RSAA in 11 career games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see