Around the Majors: Bonds might miss the seasonby Lee Sinins
March 23, 2005
1) Barry Bonds says his knee problems will keep him out for either half or the entire 2005 season.
2) Cubs P Joe Borowski suffered a non-displaced fracture in his right ulna (in his arm) when he was hit by a line drive on Monday and is expected to miss at least 6 weeks.
After 2.73 ERA/14 RSAA and 2.63 ERA/12 RSAA seasons, Borowski had a 8.02 ERA/-8 RSAA in 22 games. He has a 3.80 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.24, and 13 RSAA in 221 games.
3) The Cubs named Carlos Zambrano their Opening Day starter.
After 3.66 ERA/4 RSAA and 3.11 ERA/26 RSAA seasons, Zambrano had a 2.75 ERA/42 RSAA in 31 starts. He has a 3.25 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.26, and 63 RSAA in 101 games.
In the past half century, Zambrano ranks 12th in RSAA through the age of 23--
RSAA 1 Bert Blyleven 137 2 Don Drysdale 122 3 Dwight Gooden 110 4 Frank Tanana 96 5 Bret Saberhagen 78 6 Gary Nolan 74 7 Herb Score 72 8 Dennis Eckersley 70 9 Dean Chance 68 10 Mark Buehrle 65 11 Dave Rozema 64 12 Carlos Zambrano 63 13 John Candelaria 61 14 Roger Clemens 59 15 Mark Prior 58
4) The Nationals sent OFs Tyrell Godwin and Jeffrey Hammonds to the minors.
Godwin was taken in the Rule 5 draft, from the BlueJays. The Nationals were required to keep him on the 25 man roster for the entire season or offer him back to the BlueJays for $25,000. The Nationals traded P Aaron Wideman to the BlueJays in exchange for them waiving the right to take him back.
Hammonds has -12 RCAA/.790 OPS in 944 career games, including a .358 SLG, .336 OBA, .694 OPS, -3 RCAA in 40 games with the 2004 Giants.
5) The A's returned P Tyler Johnson to the Cardinals. They had taken him in the Rule 5 draft, but he didn't make the team.
6) The Whitesox sent OFs Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson to the minors.
7) Orioles P Eric DuBose was arrested on DWI charges.
DuBose has a 5.02 ERA/-8 RSAA in 35 career games, including a 6.39 ERA/-13 RSAA in 14 starts in 2004.
8) The Phillies sent SS Danny Sandoval, 3B Chris Coste and Ps Geoff Geary and Dan Geise to the minors.
9) The Rangers sent P Kameron Loe to the minors.
10) The Redsox traded OF Adam Hyzdu to the Padres for P Blaine Neal.
Hyzdu has -2 RCAA/.776 OPS in 190 career games, including 3 for 10, with 2 2B, a HR, a BB and 2 RCAA, in 17 games in 2004.
Neal has a 4.62 ERA/-7 RSAA in 94 career games, including a 4.07 ERA/0 RSAA in 40 games in 2004.
11) The Royals signed utilityman Joe McEwing to a minor league contract and invited him to the major league camp.
McEwing was recently released by the Mets.
12) The Reds sent 3B Edwin Encarnacion, OF Rob Stratton, C Dane Sardinha and Ps Ricky Stone and Randy Keisler to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.