Around the Majors: Braves-Brewers tradeby Lee Sinins
December 12, 2004
1) The Brewers traded P Dan Kolb to the Braves for P Jose Capellan and a player to be named later.
After 4.22 ERA/3 RSAA and 1.96 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Kolb had a 2.98 ERA/9 RSAA in 64 games. He has a 3.65 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.45, and 19 RSAA in 169 games.
Capellan had a 11.25 ERA/-6 RSAA in his first 2 career starts (3 games).
2) With the acquisition of Kolb, the Braves will move John Smoltz back into the rotation.
After 3.25 ERA/8 RSAA and 1.12 ERA/22 RSAA seasons, Smoltz had a 2.76 ERA/14 RSAA in 73 games. He has a 3.27 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.01, and 239 RSAA in 602 games.
3) The Indians traded LF Matt Lawton to the Pirates for P Arthur Rhodes.
After -8 RCAA/.741 OPS and 6 RCAA/.762 OPS seasons, Lawton hit .421 SLG, .366 OBA, .787 OPS, 5 RCAA in 150 games. He has a .791 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 47 RCAA in 1182 games.
After 2.33 ERA/14 RSAA and 4.17 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, Rhodes had a 5.12 ERA/-2 RSAA in 37 games with the A's. He had been traded to the Pirates in the Jason Kendall deal and has a 4.36 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 9 RSAA in 551 games.
4) Free agent P Roger Clemens accepted the Astros arbitration offer.
But, Clemens still hasn't decided whether he's retiring. After 4.35 ERA/0 RSAA and 3.91 ERA/10 RSAA seasons, he had a 2.98 ERA/32 RSAA in 33 starts. Clemens has a 3.18 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 645 RSAA in 640 games.
5) The Redsox signed free agent Ps David Wells (2 year, $8 million contract, with incentives that could bring it up to $18 million) and John Halama (1 year, $1 million).
After 3.75 ERA/14 RSAA and 4.14 ERA/5 RSAA seasons, Wells had a 3.73 ERA/5 RSAA in 31 starts with the Padres. He has a 4.03 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 133 RSAA in 588 games.
After 3.56 ERA/6 RSAA and 4.22 ERA/0 RSAA seasons, Halama had a 4.70 ERA/-4 RSAA in 34 games (14 starts) with the Devil Rays. He has a 4.52 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.67, and -6 RSAA in 205 games.
6) According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, the BlueJays are close to signing 3B Corey Koskie.
7) According to Sportsline.com, the Tigers are interested in free agent RF J.D. Drew.
8) The Angels are reportedly close to signing free agent P Matt Clement.
9) According to the NY Daily News, the Mets made a 3 year offer to free agent 1B Carlos Delgado, but the Orioles are the frontrunners for him.
10) The Yankees and Marlins are reportedly discussing a Javier Vazquez for A.J. Burnett trade.
11) According to the Boston Globe, the Redsox are getting close to re-signing free agent P Pedro Martinez, are in the middle of the Edgar Renteria sweepstakes (along with the Cardinals and the Tigers) and have spoken to the Padres about a Dave Roberts and Byung-Hyun Kim for Ramon Vazquez and Jay Payton trade.
12) The Nationals released P Chad Bentz.
Bentz had a 5.86 ERA/-5 RSAA in his first 36 career games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.