Around the Majors: Brenly is firedby Lee Sinins
July 02, 2004
1) The Diamondbacks fired manager Bob Brenly and named Al Pedrique as interim manager.
2) Barry Bonds watch--hit #680, is 20 away from 700, is 34 behind Ruth, is 75 behind Aaron.
Bonds is also 3 BB behind Rickey Henderson's major league record.
3) Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo says Brenly's firing isn't a sign of an impending fire sale.
4) The A's placed P Arthur Rhodes on the 15 day DL, retroactive to June 25, and called up INF Ramon Castro.
Rhodes has a strained back. After 2.33 ERA/14 RSAA and 4.17 ERA/1 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 5.28 ERA/-1 RSAA start in his first 27 games. Rhodes has a 4.36 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 10 RSAA in 541 games.
Castro is 0 for 3, with a BB and -1 RCAA, in his first 3 career games.
5) The BlueJays removed minor league OF Simon Pond from the 40 man roster after he cleared waivers.
6) The Dodgers called up P Edwin Jackson and will place P Odalis Perez on the 15 day DL today.
Jackson, a very highly rated 20 year old, has a 2.33 ERA/5 RSAA in 5 career games, including a 1.80 ERA/1 RSAA in 1 start in 2004.
Perez has tendinitis in his rotator cuff. After 3.00 ERA/18 RSAA and 4.52 ERA/-11 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 2.96 ERA/14 RSAA start in his first 16 starts. Perez has a 4.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.28, and -2 RSAA in 130 games.
7) Cardinals 3B Scott Rolen has a sore left knee and expects to have a MRI in the next few days. He says the injury's bothered him for a few weeks.
After 21 RCAA/.860 OPS and 34 RCAA/.910 OPS seasons, Rolen is hitting .618 SLG, .417 OBA, 1.035 OPS, 32 RCAA in his first 77 games. He has a .894 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 221 RCAA in 1130 games.
8) The Redsox activated 3B Bill Mueller from the DL, called up P Anastacio Martinez, placed P Scott Williamson on the 15 day DL and designated utilityman Cesar Crespo for assignment.
After 0 RCAA/.743 OPS and 38 RCAA/.938 OPS seasons, Mueller is hitting .419 SLG, .339 OBA, .758 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 37 games. He has a .795 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 63 RCAA in 961 games.
Martinez has a 8.44 ERA/-4 RSAA in his first 11 career games.
Williams has radial nerve impingement in his forearm.
Crespo has -19 RCAA/.553 OPS in 132 career games, including a .215 SLG, .165 OBA, .380 OPS, -11 RCAA in 62 games in 2004.
9) The Cubs traded minor league P Jason Anderson to the Redsox for minor league P Andrew Shipman and a player to be named later.
10) The Padres traded minor league P Brandon Puffer to the Redsox for a player to be named later.
The Redsox assigned both of their new pitchers to AAA.
11) The Reds called up P Jesus Sanchez and sent utilityman Jermaine Clark to the minors.
Sanchez started yesterday. He has a 5.32 ERA/-61 RSAA in 160 career games and hasn't pitched more than 8 1/3 IP in any seasons since 2001.
Clark has -11 RCAA/.428 OPS in 42 career games, including a .167 SLG, .212 OBA, .379 OPS, -4 RCAA in 14 games in 2004.
12) The Marlins called up P Nate Bump and sent P Michael Tejera to the minors.
Since Josh Beckett will come off the DL on Monday, Bump probably won't be up for long.
Tejera has a 4.95 ERA/-24 RSAA in 102 career games, including a 18.00 ERA/-6 RSAA in 2 starts in 2004.
13) The Devil Rays activated utilityman Damian Rolls from the DL and sent OF Joey Gathright to the minors.
After -12 RCAA/.666 OPS in a career high 107 games in 2003, Rolls is off to a .228 SLG, .262 OBA, .490 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 22 games. He has a .648 career OPS, compared to his league average of .763, and -34 RCAA in 235 games.
Gathright had a .273 SLG, .360 OBA, .633 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 7 career games.
14) The Braves activated 1B Adam LaRoche from the DL and sent 1B Mike Hessman to the minors.
LaRoche is off to a .386 SLG, .277 OBA, .664 OPS, -7 RCAA start in his first 41 career games.
Hessman has -6 RCAA/.582 OPS in 48 career games, including a .261 SLG, .155 OBA, .416 OPS, -8 RCAA in 29 games in 2004.
15) Angels GM Bill Stoneman says that, while he's not looking to accommodate P Ramon Ortiz's trade request, he has spoken to teams that are interested and he can't rule a deal. The Orioles and Mets have been rumored to be the teams with the most interest in him.
16) According to the Fort Worth Star Telegram, the Rangers have had trade talks with several teams that are interested in OF Kevin Mench and the Rangers could be interested in Diamondbacks OF Danny Bautista.
17) The Rangers called up C Danny Ardoin and designated C Ken Huckaby for assignment.
Ardoin had -3 RCAA/.550 OPS in 15 games with the 2000 Twins.
Huckaby has -24 RCAA/.561 OPS in 102 career games, including a .200 SLG, .250 OBA, .450 OPS, -4 RCAA in 8 games in 2004.
18) The Pirates sold OF Ruben Mateo to the Royals. To make room on the 25 man roster for him, the Royals will send OF Byron Gettis to the minors and, to make room on the 40 man roster, will move C Benito Santiago from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After -2 RCAA/.714 OPS and -12 RCAA/.619 OPS seasons, Mateo is hitting .515 SLG, .359 OBA, .874 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 19 games. He has a .707 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -25 RCAA in 263 games.
19) Mets CF Mike Cameron says that, while he won't have to go on the DL, he's not sure when he can return from his knee injury. Meanwhile, his left groin is also bothering him.
20) The Rockies called up utilityman Kit Pellow and designated INF Denny Hocking for assignment.
Pellow has -6 RCAA/.726 OPS in 84 career games, including a .337 SLG, .324 OBA, .661 OPS, -7 RCAA in 84 games in 2004.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see