Around the Majors: Burrell injuryby Lee Sinins
August 04, 2004
1) Phillies LF Pat Burrell will return to Philadelphia, to have a wrist problem examined, and could be headed to the DL.
After 44 RCAA/.920 OPS and -15 RCAA/.713 OPS seasons, Burrell is hitting .459 SLG, .374 OBA, .833 OPS, 10 RCAA in his first 100 games. He has a .823 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and 50 RCAA in 669 games.
2) The Padres activated P Sterling Hitchcock from the DL, called up OF Brian Buchanan, released 3B Jeff Cirillo and sent OF Xavier Nady to the minors.
After 5.49 ERA/-5 RSAA and 4.72 ERA/-5 RSAA seasons, Hitchcock hasn't made his 2004 debut yet. He has a 4.77 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.54, and -62 RSAA in 277 games and has had a negative RSAA 7 times in the past 8 years.
After 1 RCAA/.789 OPS and 2 RCAA/.801 OPS seasons, Buchanan is off to a .365 SLG, .288 OBA, .654 OPS, -2 RCAA start in his first 30 games. He has a .774 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -2 RCAA in 336 games.
After -20 RCAA/.629 OPS and -19 RCAA/.555 OPS seasons, Cirillo is off to a .293 SLG, .259 OBA, .553 OPS, -4 RCAA start in his first 33 games. He has a .801 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and 10 RCAA in 1350 games, but hasn't had a positive RCAA since 1999.
Nady has -10 RCAA/.706 OPS in 130 career games, including a .378 SLG, .237 OBA, .615 OPS, -3 RCAA in 19 games in 2004.
3) The Reds passed the Brewers into 4th place in the NL Central.
4) Sammy Sosa tied Reggie Jackson for 8th place on the all time HR list, with 563.
5) Jeff Bagwell passed Juan Gonzalez into 31st place on the all time HR list, with 435.
6) Alex Rodriguez tied Rocky Colavito for 57th place on the all time HR list, with 374.
7) The Angels signed 1B Andres Galarraga to a minor league contract.
Galarraga has 186 RCAA/.846 OPS in 2250 career games.
8) The Angels called up C Wil Nieves.
Nieves had -6 RCAA/.474 OPS in 28 games with the 2002 Padres.
9) The BlueJays activated P Justin Miller from the DL and sent P Michael Nakamura to the minors.
Miller has a 5.23 ERA/-10 RSAA in 33 career games, including a 4.46 ERA/2 RSAA in 7 starts (8 games) in 2004.
Nakamura has a 7.51 ERA/-11 RSAA in 31 career games, including a 7.36 ERA/-7 RSAA in 19 games in 2004.
10) Orioles CF Luis Matos will have season ending surgery on his right shin.
He has been on the DL since July 23 and tests showed the stress fracture is more serious than originally believer.
11) The Yankees called up C.J. Nitkowski, sent P Felix Heredia to the minors and designated minor league INF Ferdin Tejeda for assignment.
After pitching in just 18 games in 2002-03, Nitkowski had a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in 22 games with the Braves earlier in the year. He has a 5.29 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.66, and -31 RSAA in 310 games.
After 3.61 ERA/5 RSAA and 2.69 ERA/15 RSAA seasons, Heredia has a 6.96 ERA/-9 RSAA in his first 34 games. He has a 4.47 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.40, and -10 RSAA in 495 games.
12) Giants P Jerome Williams had arthroscopic surgery on his elbow and could be out for the rest of the season.
Williams was placed on the DL last week.
13) Pirates C Jason Kendall set the team record for games caught.
After -12 RCAA/.706 OPS and 21 RCAA/.815 OPS seasons, Kendall is hitting .383 SLG, .388 OBA, .771 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 98 games. He has a .804 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 104 RCAA in 1203 games.
The new top 10--
GAMES 1 Jason Kendall 1156 2 George Gibson 1155 3 Manny Sanguillen 1037 4 Tony Pena 787 5 Walter Schmidt 703 6 Al Lopez 650 7 Mike LaValliere 584 8 Johnny Gooch 529 9 Smoky Burgess 499 10 Jim Pagliaroni 468
14) The Devil Rays called up P Jeremi Gonzalez and sent P John Webb to the minors.
After a 3.91 ERA/10 RSAA in 2003, his first time in the majors since 1998, Gonzalez has a 7.02 ERA/-12 RSAA in his first 8 starts (9 games). He has a 4.65 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and -11 RSAA in 77 games.
Webb pitched 1 1/3 shutout innings in his only career appearance.
15) The Rangers will place P Jeff Nelson on the 15 day DL and call up P Ryan Snare.
Nelson has soreness in his forearm and wasn't able to get warmed up in the bullpen when he got the call yesterday. After 3.94 ERA/1 RSAA and 3.74 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Nelson is off to a 5.28 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 17 games. He has a 3.36 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.59, and 96 RSAA in 731 games.
16) Padres 3B Sean Burroughs was out of yesterday's lineup, due to right knee soreness. He had a precautionary MRI and is day to day.
After starting his career with -6 RCAA/.640 OPS and 5 RCAA/.755 OPS seasons, Burroughs is hitting .361 SLG, .345 OBA, .706 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 95 games. He has a .718 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -2 RCAA in 304 games.
17) The Twins placed P Grant Balfour on the 15 day DL, retroactive to July 26, and called up C Rob Bowen.
Balfour has shoulder tendinitis. He has a 4.20 ERA/2 RSAA in 41 career games, including a 3.33 ERA/4 RSAA in 22 games in 2004.
Bowen has -2 RCAA/.514 OPS in 14 career games, including 0 RCAA/.741 OPS in 7 games in 2004.
18) The Phillies sent P Geoff Geary to the minors, when they officially added newly acquired P Felix Rodriguez to the roster.
Geary has a 6.25 ERA/-8 RSAA in 25 career games, including a 6.60 ERA/-8 RSAA in 20 games in 2004.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see