Around the Majors: Cubs-Tigers tradeby Lee Sinins
February 10, 2005
1) The Cubs traded P Kyle Farnsworth to the Tigers for P Roberto Novoa, 3B Scott Moore and OF Bo Flowers.
After 7.33 ERA/-17 RSAA and 3.30 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Farnsworth had a 4.73 ERA/-1 RSAA in 72 games. He has a 4.78 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and -19 RSAA in 343 games.
Novoa had a 5.57 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 16 career games.
2) According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs are interested in A's P Octavio Dotel.
3) The Tigers signed P Jason Grilli to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Grilli had a 7.40 ERA/-12 RSAA in 8 starts with the 2004 Whitesox.
4) The Royals signed OF Brian Hunter to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Hunter, who was out of the majors in 2004, has -115 RCAA/.660 OPS in 1000 career games.
5) The Diamondbacks signed P Donovan Osborne to a minor league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
Osborne has a 4.03 ERA/-3 RSAA in 163 career games, including a 7.13 ERA/-5 RSAA in 9 games (2 starts) with the 2004 Yankees.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.