Around the Majors: Francisco is placed on the DLby Lee Sinins
March 25, 2005
1) The Rangers placed P Frank Francisco on the 15 day DL.
Francisco has a sore elbow. He had a 3.33 ERA/10 RSAA in his first 45 career games.
2) The Nationals placed OF Alex Escobar on the 15 day DL and released C Keith Osik.
Escobar has a strained right quadriceps muscle. He has -8 RCAA/.677 OPS in 92 career games, including a .309 SLG, .318 OBA, .627 OPS, -7 RCAA in 46 games with the 2004 Indians.
Osik has -63 RCAA/.632 OPS in 450 career games, including a .080 SLG, .080 OBA, .160 OPS, -5 RCAA in 11 games with the 2004 Orioles.
3) In addition to his recent fights, Orioles P Sidney Ponson was arrested on DWI charges in January.
4) The Rockies sent OF Jorge Piedra and P Jason Young to the minors.
5) The Angels sent P Mark Watson to the minors.
6) The Orioles named Rodrigo Lopez their Opening Day starter.
After 3.57 ERA/18 RSAA and 5.82 ERA/-25 RSAA seasons, Lopez had a 3.59 ERA/23 RSAA in 23 starts (37 games). He has a 4.42 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.55, and 4 RSAA in 102 games.
7) The Devil Rays released P Denny Neagle and OF Tom Goodwin and sent C Pete LaForest and P Doug Waechter to the minors.
Neagle, who missed the entire 2004 season, while recovering from Tommy John surgery, has a 4.24 ERA/45 RSAA in 392 career games. He hasn't had a positive RSAA since 2000.
Goodwin has -146 RCAA/.671 OPS in 1288 career games, including a .276 SLG, .254 OBA, .531 OPS, -10 RCAA in 77 games with the 2004 Cubs.
8) The Diamondbacks sent OF Carlos Quentin to the minors.
9) According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Mets are scouting Rockies C Charles Johnson.
10) The Astros released P Turk Wendell.
They had previously sent him to the minors. Wendell requested his released and is expected to retire.
11) The Redsox released P Josias Manzanillo.
Manzanillo had been sent to the minors on Sunday.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.