Around the Majors: Galarraga retiresby Lee Sinins
March 30, 2005
1) Andres Galarraga retired.
Galarraga was in the Mets camp. He finished with a .846 career OPS, compared to his league average of .746, and 186 RCAA in 2257 games.
2) The Cardinals traded P Mike Myers to the Redsox for OF Carlos de la Cruz and P Kevin Ool. To make room for Myers on the 40 man roster, the Redsox designated P Anastacio Martinez for assignment.
After 4.38 ERA/0 RSAA and 5.70 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Myers had a 4.64 ERA/-1 RSAA in 75 games with the Mariners and Redsox. He has a 4.40 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 20 RSAA in 684 games. Myers had signed with the Cardinals, as a free agent, during the offseason.
3) The Yankees traded P Bret Prinz to the Angels for minor league C Wil Nieves.
Prinz has a 4.83 ERA/-2 RSAA in 95 career games, including a 5.08 ERA/-2 RSAA in 26 games in 2004.
Nieves had -6 RCAA/.474 OPS in 28 games with the 2002 Padres.
4) The Indians traded P Cliff Bartosh to the Cubs for minor league P Ronald Bay.
Bartosh had a 4.66 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 34 career games.
5) The Royals sent Ps Kevin Appier, Jimmy Gobble and Kyle Snyder, 1B Ken Harvey, INF Chris Clapinski and OF Aaron Guiel to the minors.
Appier is considering retirement.
After starting his career with -23 RCAA/.721 OPS in 2003 (he also played in 4 games in 2001), Harvey had a .421 SLG, .338 OBA, .759 OPS, -1 RCAA in 120 games. He has a .738 career OPS, compared to his league average of .767, and -26 RCAA in 259 games.
6) According to the St. Petersburg Times, the Devil Rays are expected to acquire Rockies C Charles Johnson within the next couple of days.
7) The Rockies are reportedly close to a trade for Redsox P Byung-Hyun Kim.
8) The Astros sent INFs Mike Coolbaugh and Carlos Rivera, OF Trenidad Hubbard, Cs Dax Norris and Chris Tremie and Ps Dave Burba, Travis Driskill, Phil Norton to the minors.
Burba has a 4.49 ERA/-4 RSAA in 511 career games, including a 4.21 ERA/2 RSAA in 51 games with the 2004 Brewers and Giants.
9) The Nationals sent OF Endy Chavez and Ps Gary Majewski and Jon Rauch to the minors.
After -37 RCAA/.648 OPS in his first year as a starter, Chavez had a .371 SLG, .318 OBA, .688 OPS, -9 RCAA in 132 games. He has a .668 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -59 RCAA in 338 games.
10) The Mariners sold minor league INF Benji Gil to the Mets.
11) The Mets claimed INF Wilson Valdez off waivers from the Whitesox and signed C Kelly Stinnett to a minor league contract.
Stinnett was released by the Diamondbacks on Monday.
Valdez was added to the 40 man roster.
12) The Cardinals sent C Cody McKay and Ps Carmen Cali and Anthony Reyes to the minors.
13) The Brewers released PH-P Brooks Kieschnick and sent P Ben Diggins to the minors.
Kieschnick has -7 RCAA/.760 OPS in 257 career games, including a .365 SLG, .324 OBA, .689 OPS, -3 RCAA in 75 games (68 PA) in 2004. As a pitcher, he has a 4.59 ERA/-2 RSAA in 74 career games, including a 3.77 ERA/3 RSAA in 32 games in 2004.
Diggins was removed from the 40 man roster.
14) The Angels sent P Evan Thomas to the minors.
15) The Whitesox sent P Brandon McCarthy to the minors and will send OF Joe Borchard, C-INF Jamie Burke and Ps Jon Adkins and Kevin Walker to the minors today.
16) The Tigers placed P Fernando Rodney on the 15 day DL.
Rodney has discomfort in his shoulder. He had a 6.04 ERA/-10 RSAA in 47 games in 2002-03.
17) The Braves released OF Roosevelt Brown.
Brown, who hasn't played in the majors since 2002, has -10 RCAA/.719 OPS in 228 career games.
18) The Mariners named Jamie Moyer their Opening Day starter.
After 3.32 ERA/21 RSAA and 3.27 ERA/22 RSAA seasons, Moyer had a 5.21 ERA/-22 RSAA in 33 starts (34 games). He has a 4.15 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.45, and 90 RSAA in 506 games.
Moyer is 2nd on the Mariners career RSAA list--
RSAA 1 Randy Johnson 196 2 Jamie Moyer 110 3 Freddy Garcia 64 4 Jeff Nelson 54 5 Joel Pineiro 43 T6 Mark Langston 42 T6 Mike Jackson 42 T6 Erik Hanson 42 T6 Floyd Bannister 42 10 Arthur Rhodes 35
19) The Mariners released P Nate Bland.
20) The Marlins sent Ps Travis Smith, Les Walrond and Jim Crowell to the minors.
Correction from yesterday--The A's sent Dan, not Adam, Johnson to the minors.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.