Around the Majors: Giambi health scareby Lee Sinins
July 21, 2004
1) Yankees 1B Jason Giambi, who has been feeling weak for weeks, underwent a set of tests yesterday, including a blood test and a test for cancer. He was diagnosed as having a parasite on June 29, but since he's still suffering from fatigue, it was determined more tests were needed.
After 75 RCAA/1.034 OPS and 51 RCAA/.939 OPS seasons, Giambi is hitting .408 SLG, .361 OBA, .769 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 69 games. He has a .955 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 446 RCAA in 1333 games.
2) The Phillies passed the Braves into sole possession of 1st place in the NL East.
3) The Mets tied the Marlins for 3rd place in the NL East.
4) The Cubs passed the Reds into 2nd place in the NL Central.
5) The Padres moved into a virtual tie, with the Giants, for 2nd place in the NL West. The Padres lead in PCT.
6) Sammy Sosa watch--hit #557, is 6 behind Reggie Jackson for 8th place on the all time HR list.
7) Gary Sheffield tied Dale Murphy and Andres Galarraga for 39th place on the all time HR list, with 398.
8) Yankees SS Derek Jeter was diagnosed with a small fracture in his right hand. He was out of yesterday's lineup and is day to day.
9) According to the Denver Post, the Marlins and Redsox are interested in Rockies RF Larry Walker.
10) According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks deny a report from the Newark Star Ledger that want Yankees C Jorge Posada in a deal for Randy Johnson.
11) According to the Boston Herald, the Redsox have had "substantial talks" about BlueJays P Terry Adams and have also had talks with the Phillies on a Derek Lowe for Kevin Millwood trade.
12) According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Braves are interested in acquiring a setup man and a LOOGY (left handed one out guy), with Mariners P Mike Myers, Ron Villone and Eddie Guardado, Tigers P Ugueth Urbina and Pirates P Jose Mesa possibilities.
13) The Angels designated INF Shane Halter for assignment and called up P Matt Hensley.
After -9 RCAA/.704 OPS and -23 RCAA/.611 OPS seasons, Halter is off to a .367 SLG, .250 OBA, .608 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 41 game.s He has a .689 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and -70 RCA in 685 games.
Hensley has a 4.50 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 6 career games.
14) The Orioles called up P Todd Williams and sent OF Tim Raines Jr. to the minors.
Williams, who hasn't pitched in the majors since 2001, has a 5.37 ERA/-7 RSAA in 50 career games.
Raines has -8 RCAA/.529 OPS in 50 career games, including .353 SLG, .333 OBA, .686 OPS, -1 RCAA in a career high 23 games in 2004.
15) The Cubs traded minor league INF Ricky Gutierrez to the Redsox for a player to be named later or cash. The Redsox will call up Gutierrez, they called up 3B Kevin Youkilis and P Mark Malaska, placed 2B Pokey Reese on the 15 day DL and sent P Joe Nelson to the minors. The Redsox will have to make another move today to add a starter for today's doubleheader.
After playing in just 16 games in 2003, Gutierrez had a .206 SLG, .257 OBA, .463 OPS, -8 RCAA in 24 games with the 2004 Mets. He has a .689 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -103 RCAA in 1098 games.
Youkilis is hitting .434 SLG, .397 OBA, .832 OPS, 5 RCAA in his first 38 career games.
Malaska has a 3.69 ERA/4 RSAA in 38 career games, including a 4.60 ERA/1 RSAA in 16 games in 2004.
Reese has a strained rib cage. After -11 RCAA/.,681 OPS and -8 RCAA/.533 OPS seasons, he is off to a .315 SLG, .274 OBA, .590 OPS, -19 RCAA start in his first 77 games. Reese has a .661 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and -124 RCAA in 837 games.
Nelson has a 25.07 ERA/-11 RSAA in 5 career games, including a 16.88 ERA/-4 RSAA in 3 games in 2004.
Today's starter will either be Abe Alvarez or Frank Castillo.
16) The Indians called up OF Grady Sizemore and designated OF Mark Little for assignment.
Sizemore, who turns 22 early next month, was given an A- grade by John Sickels (who ranked him as the 11th best hitting prospect in baseball) and was ranked as the Indians #1 prospect by Baseball America. In 2003, in his first year above Hi-A ball, he had a .853 OPS (.373 OBA, .480 SLG) in AA and has a .803 OPS (.361 OBA, .442 SLG) in 95 games in AAA in 2004.
Little has -11 RCAA/.684 OPS in 148 career games, including a .200 SLG, .261 OBA, .461 OPS, -2 RCAA in 11 games in 2004.
17) The Tigers placed OF Craig Monroe on the 15 day DL and called up OF Nook Logan.
Monroe has a strained left hamstring. After having -8 RCAA/.736 OPS in 2003, his first year as a starter, Monroe is hitting .386 SLG, .316 OBA, .702 OPS, -5 RCAA in his first 77 games. He has a .708 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -19 RCAA in 245 games.
18) The Royals called up P Shawn Camp.
Camp has a 3.77 ERA/2 RSAA in his first 18 career games.
19) The Mariners designated OF Hiram Bocachica for assignment and called up P Bobby Madritsch.
Bocachica has -16 RCAA/.634 OPS in 203 career games, including a .339 SLG, .314 OBA, .653 OPS, -2 RCAA in 31 games in 2004.
20) The Rangers announced GM John Hart will stay in that position in 2005. Hart is in the final year of a 3 year contract and it was assumed he would be leaving, with Grady Fuson taking over, at the end of the season.
21) The Cubs called up P Jon Leicester and sent P Francis Beltran to the minors.
Leicester has a 2.63 ERA/2 RSAA in his first 8 career games.
Beltran has a 5.36 ERA/-7 RSAA in 45 career games, including a 4.63 ERA/-2 RSAA in 34 games in 2004.
22) The Mets sent P Dan Wheeler to the minors and designated minor league C Tom Wilson for assignment, to make room on the 25 and 40 man rosters, respectively, for 3B David Wright.
Wheeler has a 5.06 ERA/-10 RSAA in 91 career games, including a 4.31 ERA/0 RSAA in 26 games (1 start) in 2004.
Wilson has -10 RCAA/.720 OPS in 205 career games, including 1 for 4, with -1 RCAA, in 4 games in 2004.
23) The Braves sent INF Jesse Garcia to the minors after he cleared waivers. Garcia had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on July 15.
24) The Padres activated 1B Phil Nevin from the DL and sent OF Brian Buchanan to the minors.
After 5 RCAA/.757 OPS and 5 RCAA/.825 OPS (just 59 G) seasons, Nevin is hitting .493 SLG, .378 OBA, .871 OPS, 18 RCAA in his first 80 games. He has a .836 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and 95 RCAA in 919 games.
After 1 RCAA/.789 OPS and 2 RCAA/.801 OPS seasons, Buchanan is off to a .340 SLG, .278 OBA, .618 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 29 games. He has a .772 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -3 RCAA in 335 games.
25) The Rangers sent INF Manny Alexander to the minors after he cleared waivers. Alexander was removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on Monday.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see