Around the Majors: Gonzalez wins starting jobby Lee Sinins
March 28, 2005
1) The Indians sent OF Grady Sizemore to the minors.
Juan Gonzalez beat Sizemore for the starting RF job.
2) The Yankees sent 2B Robinson Cano and C David Parrish to the minors.
3) The Marlins released C Mike DiFelice.
DiFelice has -87 RCAA/.651 OPS in 501 career games, including a .200 SLG, .214 OBA, .414 OPS, -4 RCAA in 17 games with the 2004 Tigers and Cubs.
4) The Mets sent 2B Jeff Keppinger and Ps Scott Strickland, Scott Stewart, Orber Moreno, Jae Seo to the minors.
5) The Diamondbacks placed P Jose Valverde on the 15 day DL.
Valverde has an irritated biceps tendon. He has a 2.93 ERA/16 RSAA in 83 career games, including a 4.25 ERA/1 RSAA in 29 games in 2004.
6) The Mariners sold minor league utilityman Mickey Lopez to the Giants.
7) The Mariners sent C Ryan Christianson to the minors.
8) The A's sent INF Bobby Smith and C Kurt Suzuki to the minors.
9) The Redsox sent 1B Roberto Petagine, OFs George Lombard and Billy McMillon, C Shawn Wooten and Ps Jack Cressend and Jeremi Gonzalez to the minors.
10) The Phillies sent INF Anthony Medrano, C Trent Pratt and P Mike Bacsik to the minors.
11) The Dodgers sent OF Henri Stanley to the minors.
12) The Cardinals sent 2B Bo Hart, 3B Scott Seabol, OF John Gall and C Mike Mahoney to the minors.
13) The Twins sent OFs Michael Ryan and Armando Rios to the minors and released INF Andy Fox and 3B Eric Munson.
Fox has -67 RCAA/.662 OPS in 776 career games, including a .145 SLG, .107 OBA, .253 OPS, -9 RCAA in 46 games (56 PA) with the 2004 Expos and Rangers.
Munson has -16 RCAA/.701 OPS in 246 games, including a .445 SLG, .289 OBA, .735 OPS, -5 RCAA in 109 games with the 2004 Tigers.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.