Around the Majors: Griffey’s out for the rest of the seasonby Lee Sinins
August 11, 2004
1) Reds CF Ken Griffey Jr. will have season ending surgery for a complete rupture of his right hamstring.
After -2 RCAA/.784 OPS and 11 RCAA/.936 OPS seasons, Griffey hit .513 SLG, .351 OBA, .864 OPS, 12 RCAA in 83 games. He has a .937 career OPS, compared to his league average of .760, and 547 RCAA in 1997 games.
2) The Mets placed 1B Mike Piazza on the 15 day DL, retroactive to August 7, and called up INF Danny Garcia.
Piazza has fluid in his left knee.
Garcia has -4 RCAA/.694 OPS in 53 career games, including a .349 SLG, .381 OBA, .730 OPS, 0 RCAA in 34 games in 2004.
3) The Royals called up OF Aaron Guiel and placed OF Dee Brown on the 15 day DL.
After starting his career with -20 RCAA/.633 OPS and 3 RCAA/.835 OPS seasons, Guiel is off to a .360 SLG, .279 OBA, .639 OPS, -4 RCAA start in his first 24 games. He has a .741 career OPS, compared to his league average of .762, and -21 RCAA in 193 games.
Brown has a left rib cage injury. After a -10 RCAA/.605 OPS season, he is off to a .314 SLG, .262 OBA, .576 OPS, -9 RCAA start in his first 43 games. It's the first time in his career that Brown had consecutive years with more than 16 games and he has a .601 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -58 RCAA in 247 games.
4) The A's activated OF Billy McMillon from the DL and sent INF Esteban German to the minors.
After a 5 RCAA/.812 OPS season, McMillon is off to a .346 SLG, .286 OBA, .632 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 32 games. He has a .732 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and -2 RCAA in 249 games.
German has -7 RCAA/.536 OPS in 35 career games, including a .288 SLG, .273 OBA, .561 OPS, -4 RCAA in 21 games in 2004.
5) Braves 3B Chipper Jones was out of yesterday's lineup, due to a bruised right hand. He was able to take batting practice, but didn't play, for precautionary reasons.
After 55 RCAA/.972 OPS and 43 RCAA/.920 OPS seasons, Jones is hitting .436 SLG, .351 OBA, .787 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 89 games. He has a .937 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 419 RCAA in 1494 games.
6) Braves C Johnny Estrada had to leave yesterday's game, after being hit by a pitch.
In his first year with more than 16 games since 2001, Estrada is hitting .473 SLG, .384 OBA, .856 OPS, 10 RCAA in his first 94 games. He has a .737 career OPS, compared to his league average of .779, and -16 RCAA in 209 games.
7) Phillies LF Pat Burrell says he will put off his season ending wrist surgery, after he sensed some improvement. He'll wear a splint for a week and, if pain returns, he'll get a second opinion on the surgery, otherwise, he could return before the season ends.
8) The Marlins sent P Ben Howard to the minors and will activate P Armando Benitez from the DL today.
Howard has a 5.09 ERA/-10 RSAA in 33 career games, including a 5.28 ERA/-4 RSAA in 24 games in 2004.
9) The Phillies traded minor league P Elizardo Ramirez to the Reds as the player to be named later in the Cory Lidle trade.
10) The Yankees called up P Bret Prinz and sent OF Bubba Crosby to the minors.
Prinz has a 4.93 ERA/-3 RSAA in 89 career games, including a 5.48 ERA/-3 RSAA in 20 games in 2004.
Crosby has -4 RCAA/.508 OPS in 47 career games, including a .368 SLG, .244 OBA, .612 OPS, -2 RCAA in 38 games (43 PA) in 2004.
11) The Cardinals traded minor league Ps Luis Martinez and Chris Naveson to the Rockies as the players to be named later in the Larry Walker trade.
12) The Indians placed INF Lou Merloni on the 15 day DL and called up P Cliff Bartosh.
Merloni has a sore right elbow. After -3 RCAA/.724 OPS and -2 RCAA/.704 OPS seasons, he's hitting .444 SLG, .355 OBA, .799 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 65 games. Merloni has a .727 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -27 RCAA in 403 games.
Bartosh has a 7.45 ERA/-3 RSAA in his first 21 career games.
13) The Tigers released P Danny Patterson. Patterson was removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on August 3.
14) The Cardinals called up P Jason Simontacchi and sent OF So Taguchi to the minors.
Simontacchi has a 4.79 ERA/-24 RSAA in 76 career games, including a 6.48 ERA/-2 RSAA in 6 games in 2004.
Taguchi has -5 RCAA/.749 OPS in 143 career games, including a .394 SLG, .307 OBA, .700 OPS, -6 RCAA in 81 games in 2004.
15) The Angels passed the Rangers into sole possession of 2nd place in the AL West.
16) The Pirates passed the Brewers and moved into a virtual tie, with the Reds, for 4th place in the NL Central. The Reds lead in PCT.
17) Jim Thome passed Darrell Evans into 35th place on the all time HR list, with 416.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see