Around the Majors: HR featsby Lee Sinins
July 20, 2004
1) Cardinals 1B Albert Pujols hit 3 HR in a game.
After 49 RCAA/.955 OPS and 101 RCAA/1.106 OPS seasons, Pujols is hitting .640 SLG, .410 OBA, 1.050 OPS, 39 RCAA in his first 89 games. He has a 1.029 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 245 RCAA in 564 games.
2) Indians DH Travis Hafner hit 3 HR in a game and tied the major league record with 5 HR in 2 games.
Hafner has 44 RCAA/.908 OPS in 199 career games, including a .609 SLG, .429 OBA, 1.038 OPS, 40 RCAA in 85 games in 2004.
3) The Twins passed the Whitesox into 1st place in the AL Central.
4) The Phillies tied the Braves for 1st place in the NL East.
5) The Marlins passed the Mets into sole possession of 3rd place in the NL East.
6) The Reds passed the Cubs into 2nd place in the NL Central.
7) Jeff Bagwell passed Cal Ripken into 32nd place on the all time HR list, with 432.
8) Gary Sheffield passed Joe Carter into 41st place on the all time HR list, with 397.
9) Manny Ramirez tied Rocky Colavito for 56th place on the all time HR list, with 374.
10) Twins LF Jacque Jones hit his 100th career HR.
After 29 RCAA.,852 OPS and 8 RCAA/.797 OPS seasons, Jones is off to a .436 SLG, .312 OBA, .748 OPS, -11 RCAA start in his first 89 games. He has a .791 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and -12 RCAA in 772 games.
11) Yankees SS Derek Jeter had to leave yesterday's game, an inning after being his on his right hand by a pitch. Preliminary X-rays were negative and, although more will be taken today, he expects to be in the lineup tonight.
After 23 RCAA/.794 OPS and 24 RCAA/.844 OPS seasons, Jeter is hitting .455 SLG, .337 OBA, .791 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 88 games. He has a .847 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 236 RCAA in 1300 games.
12) Mets 1B Mike Piazza had to leave yesterday's game, due to a sprained left wrist. X-rays were negative and he'll be re-evaluated today.
After 17 RCAA/.903 OPS and 7 RCAA/.860 OPS seasons, Piazza is hitting .497 SLG, .382 OBA, .879 OPS, 14 RCAA in his first 90 games. HE has a .954 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 447 RCAA in 1551 games.
13) The Mets called up 3B David Wright.
Wright, 21, was given an A- grade by John Sickels (who ranked him as the 9th best hitting prospect in baseball) and was ranked as the Mets #3 prospect by Baseball America. This is his first year above Hi-A ball and had a 1.086 OPS (.619 SLG, .467 OBA) in 60 games in AA and a .968 OPS (.579 SLG, .388 OBA) in 31 games in AAA.
14) The Royals sent P Justin Huisman to the minors.
Huisman had a 6.84 ERA/-7 RSAA in his first 14 career games.
15) The Rangers placed P Joaquin Benoit on the bereavement list and called up P Nick Regilio.
Benoit has a 5.90 ERA/-27 RSAA in 59 career games, including a 6.84 ERA/-14 RSAA in 13 starts (16 games) in 2004.
Regilio gave up 1 run in 1 IP in his only career appearance.
16) The BlueJays placed P Roy Halladay on the 15 day DL and activated LF Frank Catalanotto from the DL.
Halladay has a tired shoulder and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
After 1 RCAA/.808 OPS and 10 RCAA/.823 OPS seasons, Catalanotto is hitting .455 SLG, .367 OBA, .821 OPS, 3 RCAA in his first 48 games. He has a .824 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 47 RCAA in 687 games.
17) The Dodgers traded minor league C Tommy Piazza to the Mets for minor league C Bryan Purkey.
Piazza is Mike's brother.
18) The Marlins, Rangers and Phillies have reportedly joined the Padres in their interest in Diamondbacks CF Steve Finley. According to the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Finley is the Marlins's top target. According to the Contra Costa Times, the Giants are a "sleeper" candidate.
19) The Padres sent OF Darren Bragg to the minors, to make room on the roster for Rich Aurilia. However, Bragg refused the assignment and became a free agent.
After 0 RCAA/.748 OPS and -9 RCAA/.589 OPS seasons, Bragg was 1 for 7, with 2 BB and -1 RCAA, in his first 9 games. He has a .725 career OPS, compared to his league average of .780, and -62 RCA in 878 games.
20) The Astros sent P Brandon Duckworth to the minors and called up P Chad Qualls.
After 5.41 ERA/-30 RSAA and 4.94 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Duckworth is off to a 6.75 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 15 games (6 starts). He has a 5.05 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.22, and -42 RSAA in 80 games.
21) According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, if the Mariners can't find a taker for 2B Bret Boone, they might just release him.
22) Orioles had a couple of 2B, Jerry Hairston Jr. and Brian Roberts, be forced to leave yesterday's game and are both day to day.
Hairston, who is normally a 2B, but has been playing some RF, bruised his ribs crashing into the rightfield wall. After -4 RCAA/.705 OPS and -2 RCAA/.725 OPS seasons, he's off to a .393 SLG, .365 OBA, .758 OPS, -1 RCAA start in his first 62 games. Hairston has a .699 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -38 RCAA in 506 games.
Roberts bruised his right pinkie fielding a ground ball. After -4 RCAA/.704 OPS in his first year with more than 100 games, he is off to a .355 SLG, .320 OBA, .684 OPS, -12 RCAA start in his first 89 games. Roberts has a .670 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -32 RCAA in 314 games.
23) Whitesox RF Magglio Ordonez was scratched from yesterday's lineup, due to a sore left leg, and is day to day.
After 46 RCAA/.926 OPS and 39 RCAA/.926 OPS seasons, Ordonez is hitting .480 SLG, .339 OBA, .819 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 51 games. He has a .888 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 141 RCAA in 1000 games.
24) According to the Seattle Times, the Twins are interested in Mariners C Dan Wilson, while 1B John Olerud could go to the NL, with the Braves and Padres being interested.
25) According to the Dallas Morning News, the Rangers inquired about Pirates P Kris Benson, but aren't interested in trading CF Laynce Nix.
26) Marlins 2B Luis Castillo had to leave yesterday's game, due to back spasms.
After 5 RCAA/.726 OPS and 11 RCAA/.778 OPS seasons, Castillo is hitting .360 SLG, .359 OBA, .719 OPS, 1 RCAA in his first 89 games. He has a .722 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -3 RCAA in 945 games.
27) The Twins activated OF Michael Ryan from the DL and sent him to the minors.
Ryan has 2 RCAA/.813 OPS in 70 career games, including a .296 SLG, .280 OBA, .576 OPS, -6 RCAA in 36 games in 2004.
28) Former C Darren Daulton was arrested on charges of missing a court appearance.
Daulton had a .784 career OPS, compared to his league average of .734, and 109 RCAA in 1161 games with the 1983-97 Phillies and 1997 Marlins.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see