Around the Majors: Hudson comes off the DLby Lee Sinins
August 07, 2004
1) The A's activated P Tim Hudson from the DL and placed P Kirk Saarloos on the 15 day DL.
After 2.98 ERA/45 RSAA and 2.70 ERA/41 RSAA seasons, Hudson is off to a 3.15 ERA/18 RSAA start in his first 16 starts. He has a 3.25 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.62, and 163 RSAA in 172 games.
Hudson ranks 11th in the past half century in career RSAA through the age of 28--
RSAA 1 Pedro Martinez 325 2 Roger Clemens 280 3 Bert Blyleven 261 4 Tom Seaver 234 5 Don Drysdale 219 6 Ferguson Jenkins 196 7 Kevin Appier 194 8 Greg Maddux 189 9 Dave Stieb 187 10 Juan Marichal 177 11 Tim Hudson 163
Saarloos has a bone spur in his elbow. He has a 5.43 ERA/-19 RSAA in 59 career games, including a 4.44 ERA/0 RSAA in 5 starts (6 games) in 2004.
2) The Orioles moved into a virtual tie, with the Devil Rays, for 3rd place in the AL East. The Devil Rays lead in PCT.
3) The Indians passed the Whitesox into sole possession of 2nd place in the AL Central.
4) Jim Thome tied Darrell Evans for 35th place on the all time HR list, with 414.
5) The Cardinals placed P Kiko Calero on the 15 day DL, which made room on the roster for Larry Walker.
Calero has tendinitis in his rotator cuff. After starting his career with a 2.82 ERA/6 RSAA in 2003, he's off to a 3.31 ERA/3 RSAA start in his first 29 games.
6) Giants 2B Ray Durham reached 1500 career hits.
After 15 RCAA/.825 OPS and 8 RCAA/.807 OPS seasons, Durham is hitting .463 SLG, .350 OBA, .813 OPS, 2 RCAA in his first 73 games. He has a .785 career OPS, compared to his league average of .776, and 51 RCAA in 1383 games.
7) Rockies P Aaron Cook had to leave yesterday's game, due to lightheadness and dizziness.
After having a 6.02 ERA/-17 RSAA in 2003, his first full year in the majors, Cook is off to a 4.28 ERA/11 RSAA start in his first 16 starts.
8) The Rangers called up P Rosman Garcia and sent P Ryan Snare to the minors.
After starting his career with a 6.02 ERA/-5 RSAA in 46 games in 2003, Garcia has a 6.75 ERA/-1 RSAA in 3 games in 2004.
Snare gave up 5 R/4 ER in 3 1/3 IP in his only career game (10.80 ERA/-2 RSAA).
9) The Rockies called up OF Jorge Piedra, to take Larry Walker's spot on the roster.
10) The Dodgers sent Kazuhisa Ishii to the bullpen and will replace him with Wilson Alvarez.
After starting his US career with 4.27 ERA/-9 RSAA and 3.86 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Ishii is off to a 4.76 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 22 starts. He has a 4.27 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.23, and -16 RSAA in 77 games.
After 5.28 ERA/-7 RSAA and 2.37 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, Alvarez is off to a 3.30 ERA/8 RSAA start in his first 28 games (10 starts). He has a 3.90 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 99 RSAA in 322 games.
11) Redsox LF Manny Ramirez was scratched from yesterday's lineup, due to flulike symptoms.
After 73 RCAA/1.097 OPS and 59 RCAA/1.014 OPS seasons, Ramirez is hitting .618 SLG, .409 OBA, 1.027 OPS, 34 RCAA in his first 103 games. He has a 1.011 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 558 RCAA in 1486 games.
Ramirez is closing in on the AL's top 10 list for career RCAA through the age of 32--
RCAA 1 Babe Ruth 1136 2 Ty Cobb 1028 3 Lou Gehrig 995 4 Mickey Mantle 987 5 Ted Williams 985 6 Jimmie Foxx 963 7 Frank Thomas 705 8 Tris Speaker 689 9 Joe Jackson 580 10 Rickey Henderson 562 11 Manny Ramirez 558
12) The Royals placed RF Matt Stairs on the 15 day DL and moved RF Juan Gonzalez from the 15 to the 60 day DL. These moves made room on the 25 and 40 man rosters, respectively, for P Jim Serrano.
Stairs has a strained left oblique muscle. After 7 RCAA/.827 OPS and 24 RCAA/.950 OPS seasons, he is hitting .477 SLG, .334 OBA, .811 OPS, 3 RCAA in his first 89 games. Stairs has a .857 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and 120 RCAA in 1135 games.
13) The BlueJays called up OF Gabe Gross.
Gross took Josh Phelps's spot on the roster.
14) The Astros placed SS Adam Everett on the 15 day DL and called up SS Eric Bruntlett.
Everett has a broken left wrist.
Bruntlett has -2 RCAA/.709 OPS in 42 career games, including a .571 SLG, .421 OBA, .992 OPS, 2 RCAA in 11 games (19 PA) in 2004.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see