Around the Majors: Hudson to the Dodgers???by Lee Sinins
December 12, 2004
1) There are conflicting reports on a rumored Tim Hudson to the Dodgers trade. Some of them say the trade, which could also be a 3 way deal, is on the brink of happening. Others say it isn't.
2) According to the Newark Star Ledger, Mets GM Omar Minaya says he's close to making a trade for Manny Ramirez. According to the NY Daily News, the Mets turned down a Cliff Floyd for Ramirez trade and are reluctant to acquire Ramirez.
3) According to the Miami Herald, the Yankees, Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Tigers and Redsox are all interested in Marlins P A.J. Burnett, with the "one of the strongest rumors" being Burnett goes to the Diamondbacks in a 3 way trade that sends Randy Johnson to the Yankees.
4) According to the Boston Globe, free agent P Pedro Martinez would like to sign with someone today.
5) The Devil Rays traded P Chad Gaudin to the BlueJays for C Kevin Cash.
After starting his career with a 3.60 ERA/4 RSAA in 15 games (3 starts) in 2003, Gaudin had a 4.85 ERA/-2 RSAA in 26 games (4 starts).
After starting his career with -17 RCAA/.377 OPS in 34 games in 2003 (he also played in 7 games in 2002), Cash had a .309 SLG, .249 OBA, .558 OPS, -17 RCAA in 60 games.
6) The BlueJays signed 3B Corey Koskie to a 3 year, $17 million contract, pending him passing his physical.
After 9 RCAA/.815 OPS and 24 RCAA/.845 OPS seasons, Koskie hit .495 SLG, .342 OBA, .837 OPS, 8 RCAA in 118 games. He's spent his entire career with the Twins and has a .836 career OPS, compared to his league average of .771, and 73 RCAA in 816 games.
7) The Diamondbacks signed free agent SS Royce Clayton to a 1 year, $1.3 million contract, pending him passing his physical.
After -14 RCAA/.661 OPS and -36 RCAA/.634 OPS seasons, Clayton had a .397 SLG, .338 OBA, .735 OPS, -31 RCAA in 146 games with the Rockies. He has a .684 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -263 RCAA in 1751 games.
8) The Whitesox released P Dan Wright.
Wright has a 5.65 ERA/-43 RSAA in 70 career games, including a 8.15 ERA/-6 RSAA in 4 starts in 2004.
9) According to the Newark Star Ledger, the Mets and Rangers have had trade talks about Alfonso Soriano, with the Mets not willing to trade Kaz Matsui, while the deal could be for Mike Piazza or Cliff Floyd.
10) According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants are close to signing free agent C Mike Matheny.
11) According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Phillies and Brewers are working on a Marlon Byrd for Jeff Bennett trade, with the holdup being whether the Brewers are able to trade Scott Podsednik. According to the same paper, but a different writer, the Phillies are working on a trade to send Byrd to the Giants.
12) According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners have agreed in principle to a deal with free agent 1B Richie Sexson, but it's not expected to be announced today.
13) According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pirates are interested in Royals C Benito Santiago.
14) Cubs GM Jim Hendry is denying a rumor that Kerry Wood will be moved to the bullpen.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.