Around the Majors: Inflamed rotator cuff, or just lousy pitching?by Lee Sinins
July 01, 2004
1) The Dodgers placed P Hideo Nomo on the 15 day DL and called up P Giovanni Carrara.
Officially, Nomo has rotator cuff inflammation. But, it also looks like that they just made up something to get him on the DL. According to the LA Daily News, "Any 35-year-old pitcher who throws 95 pitches is bound to have shoulder inflammation the next day, but for the Dodgers, it seemed to be a convenient excuse to get rid of Nomo, at least in the short term. ... Today, they will get around to figuring out if Nomo actually is injured ... [GM Paul] DePodesta didn't dismiss the possibility that Nomo is simply at the end of his career and that no amount of rehabilitation will make him an effective pitcher again." When asked whether Nomo was examined by a doctor, manager Jim Tracy said, "Well, ah, he's going to be."
After 3.39 ERA/9 RSAA and 3.09 ERA/22 RSAA seasons, Nomo is off to a 8.06 ERA/-29 RSAA start in his first 14 starts. He has a 4.00 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.35, and 18 RSAA in 297 games.
After 3.28 ERA/5 RSAA and 6.83 ERA/-8 RSAA seasons, Carrara hasn't made his 2004 debut yet. He has a 5.31 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.39, and -38 RSAA in 174 games.
2) The Phillies took over sole possession of 1st place in the NL East.
3) Barry Bonds watch--hit #679, is 21 away from 700, is 35 behind Ruth, is 76 behind Aaron.
4) Sammy Sosa watch--hit #552, is 11 behind Reggie Jackson for 9th place.
5) Rafael Palmeiro watch--hit #539, is 9 behind Mike Schmidt for 10th place.
6) The Mariners placed C Miguel Olivo on the 15 day DL, sent P Clint Nageotte to the minors and called up INF Justin Leone and P Travis Blackley.
Olivo had kidney stones removed.
Nageotte had a 6.85 ERA/-8 RSAA in his first 4 career starts (5 games).
7) Yankees SS Derek Jeter had to leave yesterday's game, due to a cut on a chin and bruised right cheek and shoulder, after falling into the stands making a key catch.
After 23 RCAA/.794 OPS and 24 RCAA/.844 OPS seasons, Jeter is hitting .450 SLG, .332 OBA, .782 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 72 games. He has a .847 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 235 RCAA in 1284 games.
8) The commissioner's office is investigating Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, for potential tampering charges, after Steinbrenner said, "God, who wouldn't love to have Randy Johnson? He's a dominator and we'd love to have him. Anybody would love to have him, but I also know that Jerry Colangelo is not going to give him away. We'll have to see what happens as the deadline gets closer. We'll see."
9) Redsox SS Nomar Garciaparra was out of yesterday's lineup and manager Terry Francona says he's not fully recovered from the injury to his Achilles tendon that kept him out for the first of the season. According to Francona, "maybe he's going to play two, rest one."
After 30 RCAA/.880 OPS and 26 RCAA/.870 OPS seasons, Garciaparra is off to a .382 SLG, .274 OBA, .656 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 17 games. He has a .920 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 240 RCAA in 945 games.
10) According to the Arlington Daily Herald, the Cubs laughed at a rumored Matt Clement for Garciaparra trade.
11) According to the Providence Journal, with Redsox P Scott Williamson headed to the DL, the team may be looking to trade for a reliever.
12) The Rockies activated P Adam Bernero from the DL, called up P Dennis Stark, sent C J.D. Closser to the minors and designated P Marc Kroon for assignment.
After 6.20 ERA/-23 RSAA and 5.87 ERA/-22 RSAA seasons, Bernero hasn't made his 2004 debut yet. He has a 5.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.52, and -47 RSAA in 94 games.
After 4.00 ERA/15 RSAA and 5.83 ERA/-9 RSAA seasons, Stark is off to a 14.25 ERA/-12 RSAA start in his first 3 starts. He has a 5.59 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.22, and -17 RSAA in 61 games.
Kroon has a 7.76 ERA/-9 RSAA in 26 career games, including a 6.00 ERA/0 RSAA in 6 games in 2004.
13) Redsox DH Ellis Burks, who is on an injury rehab assignment in AAA, needed to have fluid drained from his knee. A MRI showed torn cartilage, he may need more surgery and there is speculation that this could be career ending.
Burks has been on the DL since late April.
14) The Marlins called up P Aaron Small and sent OF Chris Aguila to the minors.
Small, who has pitched in only 2 games since 1998, has a 5.29 ERA/-16 RSAA in 140 career games.
Aguila was 0 for 6, with -1 RCAA, in his first 3 career games.
15) The Braves called up P Tim Drew, sent P Travis Smith to the minors and moved 2B Marcus Giles from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Drew has a 7.46 ERA/-22 RSAA in 25 career games.
Smith has a 6.95 ERA/-27 RSAA in 20 career games, including a 7.03 ERA/-8 RSAA in 7 games (3 starts) in 2004.
16) The Padres will activate P Jake Peavy from the DL today.
After starting his career with 4.52 ERA/-8 RSAA and 4.11 ERA/-5 RSAA seasons, Peavy is off to a 2.01 ERA/11 RSAA start in his first 9 starts.
17) Giants P Robb Nen finally admitted that his rotator cuff injury will sideline him for the entire season. But, Nen, who also missed all of 2003, says he's not ready to call it a career yet.
18) The BlueJays called up P David Bush and sent P Mike Nakamura to the minors. They'll have to make another move today to make room for Bush on the 40 man roster.
Nakamura has a 7.57 ERA/-11 RSAA in 29 career games, including a 7.43 ERA/-7 RSAA in 17 games in 2004.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see