Around the Majors: Injuriesby Lee Sinins
August 21, 2004
1) The Reds placed P Danny Graves on the 15 day DL and called up P Matt Belisle.
Graves has back spasms. After 3.19 ERA/14 RSAA and 5.33 ERA/-20 RSAA seasons, he is off to a 4.09 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 61 games. Graves has a 3.91 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.38, and 47 RSAA in 458 games.
Belisle had a 5.19 ERA/-1 RSAA in 6 games in 2003.
2) The Expos placed 1B Nick Johnson on the 15 day DL and called up OF Ryan Church.
Johnson broke his right cheekbone when he was hit in the face after a ball hit by Royce Clayton took a bad bounce. He's probably out for the rest of the season. After -3 RCAA/.749 OPS and 24 RCAA/.894 OPS seasons, Johnson has a .398 SLG, .359 OBA, .758 OPS, 0 RCAA in 73 games. He has a .790 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and 16 RCAA in 321 games.
3) Expos P Tony Armas had to leave yesterday's game, after being hit in the shin by a ball. He's not expected to have to miss his next start.
After being limited to just 5 starts in 2003, Armas is off to a 3.99 ERA/1 RSAA start in his first 12 starts. He has a 4.10 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.33, and 24 RSAA in 98 games.
4) The Redsox activated 2B Mark Bellhorn from the DL and sent INF Earl Snyder to the minors.
After 25 RCAA/.886 OPS and -12 RCAA/.646 OPS seasons, Bellhorn is off to a .431 SLG, .374 OBA, .806 OPS, 6 RCAA start in his first 99 games. He has a .759 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 2 RCAA in 470 games.
Snyder has -5 RCAA/.565 OPS in 19 career games, including 1 for 4, with -1 RCAA, in 1 game in 2004.
5) The Royals activated P Jeremy Affeldt from the DL and sent P Jorge Vasquez to the minors.
After starting his career with 4.64 ERA/5 RSAA and 3.93 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, Affeldt is off to a 4.70 ERA/-1 RSAA start in his first 22 games (8 starts). He has a 4.31 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 21 RSAA in 92 games.
Vasquez has a 8.10 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 2 career games.
6) The Tigers called up P Craig Dingman and sent P Roberto Novoa to the minors.
Dingman has a 7.11 ERA/-11 RSAA in 32 career games, including a 5.03 ERA/-2 RSAA in 15 games in 2004.
Novoa is off to a 7.71 ERA/-5 RSAA start in his first 9 career games.
7) Tigers P Jason Johnson had to leave yesterday's game, due to a strained left hip, and is day to day.
After 4.59 ERA/-3 RSAA and 4.18 ERA/3 RSAA seasons, Johnson is off to a 4.49 ERA/-3 RSAA start in his first 26 starts. He has a 4.84 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.61, and -45 RSAA in 175 games.
8) Rockies P Joe Kennedy (5 games) and Pirates C Jason Kendall (4 games) were suspended for a bench clearing brawl from last Sunday.
They are both appealing.
After 4.53 ERA/-1 RSAA and 6.13 ERA/-24 RSAA seasons, Kennedy is off to a 3.75 ERA/19 RSAA start in his first 20 starts. He has a 4.73 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.45, and -5 RSAA in 102 games.
After -12 RCAA/.706 OPS and 21 RCAA/.815 OPS seasons, Kendall is hitting .377 SLG, .394 OBA, .772 OPS, 7 RCAA in his first 114 games. He has a .803 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 106 RCAA in 1219 games.
9) The Devil Rays called up 1B Randall Simon and sent OF Joey Gathright to the minors.
Simon was signed on Thursday. After 5 RCAA/.779 OPS and -4 RCAA/.743 OPS seasons, he had a .280 SLG, .264 OBA, .544 OPS, -16 RCAA in 61 games with the Pirates. Simon has a .748 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and -13 RCAA in 506 games.
Gathright had a .250 SLG, .316 OBA, .566 OPS, -3 RCAA in his first 19 career games.
10) Devil Rays 3B Aubrey Huff had to leave yesterday's game, due to back spasms, and may be out of the lineup for a couple of days.
After 20 RCAA/.884 OPS and 36 RCAA/.922 OPS seasons, Huff is hitting .477 SLG, .349 OBA, .825 OPS, 13 RCAA in his first 123 games. He has a .832 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and 41 RCAA in 548 games.
11) The Diamondbacks called up SS Jerry Gil and sent OF Doug DeVore to the minors.
DeVore has a .259 SLG, .213 OBA, .472 OPS, -7 RCAA in his first 30 career games.
12) Dodgers P Jeff Weaver tied the major league record by hitting 3 consecutive batters in the 1st inning against the Braves.
After 3.52 ERA/16 RSAA and 5.99 ERA/-29 RSAA seasons, Weaver is off to a 3.68 ERA/8 RSAA start in his first 26 starts. He has a 4.45 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.60, and 2 RSAA in 184 games.
Weaver has been in the majors since 1999, during which time he ranks 2nd in hitting batters, vs. the league average--
HIT BY PITCHES DIFF PLAYER LEAGUE 1 Chan Ho Park -42 77 35 2 Jeff Weaver -34 80 46 3 Jamey Wright -33 58 25 4 Rolando Arrojo -28 48 20 T5 Matt Clement -27 71 44 T5 Kerry Wood -27 60 33 T5 Pedro Astacio -27 58 31 T8 Byung-Hyun Kim -25 42 17 T8 Julian Tavarez -25 49 24 10 Ryan Rupe -22 42 20
13) Marlins minor league OF Brian Banks announced his retirement.
Banks had -7 RCAA/.706 OPS in 273 career games with the 1996-99 Brewers and 2002-03 Marlins.
14) According to the Detroit Free Press, the Tigers and Mets have discussed a Bobby Higginson for Cliff Floyd trade.
15) Manny Ramirez passed Matt Williams and tied Orlando Cepeda and Tony Perez for 50th place on the all time HR list, with 379.
16) Carlos Delgado tied Gary Carter and Lance Parrish for 83rd place on the all time HR list, with 324.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see