Around the Majors: Larry Walker is tradedby Lee Sinins
August 06, 2004
1) The Rockies traded RF Larry Walker to the Cardinals for minor league P Jason Burch and 2 players to be named later.
After 46 RCAA/1.023 OPS and 24 RCAA/.898 OPS seasons, Walker is hitting .630 SLG, .464 OBA, 1.093 OPS, 16 RCAA in his first 38 games. He has a .970 career OPS, compared to his league average of .757, and 508 RCAA in 1844 games.
Walker ranks 8th among RF in career RCAA--
RCAA 1 Babe Ruth 1272 2 Mel Ott 865 3 Hank Aaron 809 4 Harry Heilmann 637 5 Paul Waner 588 6 Frank Robinson 568 7 Reggie Jackson 519 8 Larry Walker 507 9 Sam Thompson 503 10 Tony Gwynn 469
2) The A's passed the Rangers into 1st place in the AL West.
3) The Indians moved into a virtual tie, with the Whitesox, for 2nd place in the AL Central. The Whitesox lead in PCT.
4) Jeff Bagwell tied Frank Thomas for 30th place on the all time HR list, with 436.
5) Carlos Delgado tied Ron Gant for 85th place on the all time HR list, with 321.
6) The BlueJays traded DH-1B Josh Phelps to the Indians for minor league 1B Eric Crozier.
After starting his career with 17 RCAA/.925 OPS and 4 RCAA/.827 OPS seasons (he also played in 9 games in 2000-01), Phelps is off to a .417 SLG, .296 OBA, .713 OPS, -13 RCAA start in his first 79 games. He has a .810 career OPS, compared to his league average of .765, and 5 RCAA in 281 games.
7) The Mariners traded P Mike Myers to the Redsox for a player to be named later or cash.
After 4.38 ERA/0 RSAA and 4.70 ERA/-4 RSAA seasons, Myers is off to a 4.82 ERA/-2 RSAA start in his first 51 games and already made his Redsox debut yesterday. He has a 4.40 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.52, and 19 RSAA in 660 games.
8) The Redsox sent P Mark Malaska to the minors and designated minor league P Jamie Brown for assignment, to make room for Myers on the 25 and 40 man rosters, respectively.
Malaska has a 3.75 ERA/4 RSAA in 41 career games, including a 4.50 ERA/1 RSAA in 19 games in 2004.
Brown had a 5.87 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 4 career games, earlier in this season.
9) The Mariners called up P Cha Seung Baek, to take Myers's spot on the roster.
10) The Whitesox announced Frank Thomas is out for the rest of the season. Meanwhile, manager Ozzie Guillen says he expects Magglio Ordonez to also be gone for the rest of the season, just that just "my opinion."
11) Diamondbacks CEO Jerry Colangelo announced his resignation, effective December 31. Jeff Moorad will give up his role as an agent and will be Colangelo's successor.
12) Marlins manager Miguel Cabrera says he'll start having LF Miguel Cabrera work out at 1B, but he won't change positions this year.
After starting his career with -1 RCAA/.793 OPS in 87 games in 2003, Cabrera is off to a .554 SLG, .389 OBA, .943 OPS, 29 RCAA start in his first 106 games.
13) The Mets released OF Shane Spencer.
14) Expos P Rocky Biddle had to leave yesterday's game, due to a bruised ankle, after he was hit by a line drive. He's day to day.
After 4.06 ERA/5 RSAA and 4.65 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Biddle is off to a 6.95 ERA/-18 RSAA start in his first 41 games (5 starts). He has a 5.38 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.44, and -28 RSAA in 192 games.
15) The Phillies placed P Kevin Millwood on the 15 day DL and called up P Geoff Geary.
Millwood has acute tendinitis in his elbow.
Geary had just been sent down.
16) Yankees C Jorge Posada was out of yesterday's lineup, due to a sore thumb.
After 13 RCAA/.837 OPS and 37 RCAA/.922 OPS seasons, Posada is hitting .492 SLG, .410 OBA, .901 OPS, 15 RCAA in his first 93 games. He has a .854 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and 113 RCAA in 959 games.
17) Astros SS Adam Everett broke his left wrist, when he was hit by a pitch yesterday, and is expected to be out for at least 4 weeks.
After having -13 RCAA/.700 OPS in 2003, his first year as a starter, Everett is off to a .385 SLG, .317 OBA, .703 OPS, -13 RCAA start in his first 102 games. He has a .681 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and -34 RCAA in 279 games.
18) The Giants called up P Brad Hennessey and sent P Merkin Valdez to the minors.
Hennessey will make his major league debut by starting today.
Valdez, a highly regarded prospect, had a 27.00 ERA/-4 RSAA in his first 2 career games.
19) The Expos called up P Jon Rauch and sent P Roy Corcoran to the minors.
Rauch has a 6.51 ERA/-7 RSAA in 10 career game,s including a 6.23 ERA/-1 RSAA in 2 starts with the 2004 Whitesox.
Corcoran has a 3.55 ERA/1 RSAA in 10 career games, including a 6.75 ERA/-2 RSAA in 5 games in 2004.
20) The Brewers called up P Wes Obermueller and designated P Matt Kinney for assignment.
Obermueller has a 6.23 ERA/-30 RSAA in 29 career games, including a 6.69 ERA/-19 RSAA in 13 starts (15 games) in 2004.
Kinney has a 5.18 ERA/-28 RSAA in 87 career games, including a 5.78 ERA/-10 RSAA in 32 games (6 starts) in 2004.
21) The Twins sent SS Jason Bartlett to the minors, called up INF Augie Ojeda and moved 2B Nick Punto from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Bartlett was 0 for 5, with -1 RCAA, in his first 2 career games.
Ojeda had -27 RCAA/.542 OPS in 148 games with the 2000-03 Cubs.
22) The Tigers sent C Mike DiFelice to the minors and will activate LF Craig Monroe from the DL.
After -6 RCAA/.660 OPS and -11 RCAA/.696 OPS seasons, DiFelice is off to a .227 SLG, .240 OBA, .467 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 13 games. He has a .652 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -86 RCAA in 497 games.
After having -8 RCAA/.736 OPS in 2003, his first year as a starter, Monroe is off to a .386 SLG, .316 OBA, .702 OPS, -4 RCAA start in his first 77 games. He has a .708 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and -18 RCAA in 245 games.
23) The Reds signed P Nick Bierbrodt to a minor league contract, but then voided it.
24) The Royals will call up P Jimmy Serrano today.
Serrano will make his major league debut by starting today.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see