Around the Majors: Out for the rest of the seasonby Lee Sinins
August 24, 2004
1) The Diamondbacks will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if they lose to the Pirates and the Dodgers beat the Expos.
2) The Devil Rays moved into a virtual tie, with the Orioles, for 3rd place in the AL East. The Devil Rays lead in PCT.
3) The Whitesox moved into a virtual tie, with the Indians, for 2nd place in the AL Central. The Indians lead in PCT.
4) Tino Martinez passed Roy Sievers and tied Cecil Fielder for 87th place on the all time HR list, with 319.
5) Whitesox GM Kenny Williams confirmed that RF Magglio Ordonez is out for the rest of the season.
Ordonez has been out since July 22, due to a knee injury. After 46 RCAA/.978 OPS and 39 RCAA/.926 OPS seasons, he hit .485 SLG, .351 OBA, .836 OPS, 2 RCAA in 52 games. Ordonez has a .889 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 143 RCAA in 1001 games.
6) Mariners manager Bob Melvin says P Joel Pineiro's season is over.
Pineiro's been on the DL since July 26, due to a strained elbow. After 3.24 ERA/19 RSAA and 3.78 ERA/15 RSAA seasons, he had a 4.67 ERA/-7 RSAA in 21 starts. Pineiro has a 3.66 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 43 RSAA in 115 games.
7) Astros P Andy Pettitte had elbow surgery. He's out of the rest of the season and is expected to be ready for spring training.
After 3.27 ERA/16 RSAA and 4.02 ERA/8 RSAA seasons, Pettitte had a 3.90 ERA/5 RSAA in 15 starts. He has a 3.94 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.68, and 135 RSAA in 298 games.
8) Royals INF Tony Graffanino will have season ending shoulder surgery today.
After 0 RCAA/.757 OPS and 4 RCAA/.759 OPS seasons, Graffanino had a .335 SLG, .332 OBA, .667 OPS, -8 RCAA start in 75 games. He has a .718 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and -31 RCAA in 649 games.
9) Yankees manager Joe Torre says he's not optimistic about 1B Jason Giambi returning this season.
After 75 RCAA/1.034 OPS and 51 RCAA/.939 OPS seasons, Giambi has a .403 SLG, .359 OBA, .762 OPS, 1 RCAA in 70 games. He has a .954 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 446 RCAA in 1334 games.
10) Braves RF J.D. Drew was out of yesterday's lineup, after cutting his head during batting practice. He was available to be used as a pinch hitter, although he wasn't, and his status for today isn't known.
After 10 RCAA/.778 OPS and 16 RCAA/.886 OPS seasons, Drew is hitting .584 SLG, .419 OBA, 1.002 OPS, 48 RCAA in his first 111 games. He has a .898 career OPS, compared to his league average of .782, and 146 RCAA in 708 games.
11) On Monday, Hank Borowy died at the age of 88.
Borowy pitched for 5 teams from 1942-51. He had a 3.51 career ERA, compared to his league average of 3.69, and 25 RSAA in 314 games. Borowy's best years were a 2.63 ERA/29 RSAA with the 1944 Yankees and a 2.66 ERA/28 RSAA with the 1945 Yankees and Cubs.
12) The Rangers called up P Chris Young and placed P Joaquin Benoit on the 15 day DL.
Young made his major league debut by starting yesterday.
Benoit has rotator cuff irritation. He has a 5.76 ERA/-24 RSAA in 66 career games, including a 6.22 ERA/-11 RSAA in 23 games (13 starts) in 2004.
13) The Royals placed 1B Mike Sweeney on the 15 day DL and called up OF Alexis Gomez.
Sweeney has irritation in his back. After 39 RCAA/.979 OPS and 9 RCAA/.858 OPS seasons, he is hitting .504 SLG, .347 OBA, .851 OPS, 14 RCAA in his first 106 games. Sweeney has a .875 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 131 RCAA in 1026 games.
Gomez had -2 RCAA/.400 OPS in 5 games with the 2002 Royals.
14) The Orioles will call up P Bruce Chen today.
After 5.56 ERA/-11 RSAA and 5.55 ERA/-2 RSAA seasons, Chen will make his 2004 debut by starting today.
15) Cardinals P Julian Tavarez was suspended for 10 games, for putting a foreign substance on the ball last week.
He is appealing. After 5.39 ERA/-24 RSAA and 3.66 ERA/5 RSAA seasons, Tavarez has a 2.65 ERA/9 RSAA in his first 62 games. He has a 4.43 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.42, and 3 RSAA in 553 games.
16) The Reds activated RF Austin Kearns from the DL and sent P Matt Belisle to the minors.
After starting his career with 21 RCAA/.907 OPS and 6 RCAA/.819 OPS seasons, Kearns is off to a .344 SLG, .327 OBA, .672 OPS, -4 RCAA start in his first 29 games. He has a .845 career OPS, compared to his league average of .769, and 23 RCAA in 218 games.
Belisle didn't appear in any games during this brief callup.
17) The Rockies placed CF Preston Wilson on the 15 day DL, retroactive to August 21, and called up OF Choo Freeman.
Wilson has problems with his left knee and could be out for the rest of the season. After -7 RCAA/.759 OPS and 3 RCAA/.880 OPS seasons, he has a .391 SLG, .315 OBA, .706 OPS, -16 RCAA in 58 games. Wilson has a .814 career OPS, compared to his league average of .781, and -10 RCAA in 809 games.
Freeman is off to a .286 SLG, .281 OBA, .567 OPS, -3 RCAA start in his first 12 career games.
18) The Mets sent P Aaron Heilman to the minors, called up P Heath Bell and moved P Orber Moreno from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Heilman was up long enough to make a single start.
Bell made his major league debut yesterday, pitching 2 shutout innings.
19) Padres OF Brian Buchanan became a free agent when he refused an assignment to the minors.
20) The Dodgers called up P Masao Kida and sent P Mike Venafro to the minors.
Kida has a 5.78 ERA/-10 RSAA in 55 career games, including 1 2/3 shutout IP in 1 game in 2004.
Venafro has a 4.15 ERA/18 RSAA in 286 career games, including a 7.71 ERA/-1 RSAA in 3 games in 2004.
21) The Cardinals called up OF So Taguchi and sent P Jason Simontacchi to the minors.
Taguchi has -5 RCAA/.749 OPS in 144 career games, including a .394 SLG, .307 OBA, .700 OPS, -6 RCAA in 82 games.
22) Brewers LF Geoff Jenkins had to leave yesterday's game, due to a bruised right knee, and is day to day.
After -3 RCAA/.764 OPS and 27 RCAA/.913 OPS seasons, Jenkins is off to a .434 SLG, .308 OBA, .741 OPS, -18 RCAA start in his first 122 games. He has a .844 career OPS, compared to his league average of .781, and 49 RCAA in 772 games.
23) The Cardinals released minor league OF Armando Rios.
Rios has 7 RCAA/.786 OPS in 419 career games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see