Around the Majors: Ramirez injuryby Lee Sinins
August 27, 2004
1) Redsox LF Manny Ramirez had to leave yesterday's game, after fouling a ball off his knee. X-rays were negative and he's day to day.
After 73 RCAA/1.097 OPS and 59 RCAA/1.014 OPS seasons, Ramirez is hitting .619 SLG, .406 OBA, 1.026 OPS, 40 RCAA in his first 120 games. He has a 1.012 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and 564 RCAA in 1503 games.
Ramirez moved into the top 10 for consecutive years with 40+ RCAA (since 1900)--
T1 Hank Aaron 1957-71 15 T1 Barry Bonds 1990-04 15 T3 Ty Cobb 1907-19 13 T3 Willie Mays 1954-66 13 5 Lou Gehrig 1926-37 12 6 Mickey Mantle 1952-62 11 T7 Honus Wagner 1900-09 10 T7 Stan Musial 1948-57 10 9 Babe Ruth 1926-34 9 T10 Tris Speaker 1910-17 8 T10 Manny Ramirez 1997-04 8
2) The Mariners will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if (1) they lose both games of their doubleheader against the Royals or (2) they lose one of those games and the Angels, Twins and Rangers all win.
3) The Indians passed the Whitesox into sole possession of 2nd place in the AL Central.
4) Barry Bonds watch--hit #694, is 6 away from 700, is 20 behind Ruth, is 61 behind Aaron.
5) Jeff Bagwell passed Andre Dawson into 29th place on the all time HR list, with 439.
6) Carlos Delgado passed Willie Horton into 82nd place on the all time HR list, with 326.
7) Chipper Jones tied David Justice for 98th place on the all time HR list, with 305.
8) The Braves removed minor league Ps Armando Almanza and Sam McConnell from the 40 man roster.
9) The Mariners claimed minor league P Brett Evert off waivers from the Braves.
10) Twins 3B Corey Koskie left yesterday's game, due to an injured left ankle.
After 9 RCAA/.815 OPS and 24 RCAA/.845 OPS seasons, Koskie is hitting .488 SLG, .343 OBA, .831 OPS, 6 RCAA in his first 103 games. He has a .835 career OPS, compared to his league average of .772, and 71 RCAA in 801 games.
11) Dodgers P Wilson Alvarez had to leave yesterday's game, after being hit in the arm by a ball. He's expected to miss at least 1 start.
After 5.28 ERA/-7 RSAA and 2.37 ERA/17 RSAA seasons, Alvarez is off to a 4.23 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 33 games (14 starts). He has a 3.95 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.57, and 89 RSAA in 327 games.
12) The Rangers designated P Scott Erickson for assignment and called up P John Wasdin.
After missing the 2003 season, Erickson has a 6.67 ERA/-5 RSAA in 6 starts (first 2 with the Mets). He has a 4.54 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and -11 RSAA in 361 games.
Wasdin had a 5.35 ERA/-31 RSAA in 270 career games, including a 7.01 ERA/-9 RSAA in 7 starts (9 games) in 2004.
13) The Mets traded P Dan Wheeler to the Astros for minor league OF Adam Seuss.
Wheeler has a 5.15 ERA/-14 RSAA in 97 career games, including a 4.80 ERA/-4 RSAA in 32 games (1 start) in 2004.
14) The Astros designated P David Weathers for assignment and moved Ps Wade Miller and Andy Pettitte from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After 2.91 ERA/8 RSAA and 3.08 ERA/11 RSAA seasons, Weathers has a 4.52 ERA/-2 RSAA in 58 games (first 32 with the Mets). He has a 4.49 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.31, and -22 RSAA in 606 games.
15) The Indians called up Ps Jeremy Guthrie and Kazuhito Tadano, sent P Fernando Cabrera to the minors and designated P Chad Durbin for assignment.
Tadano has a 4.95 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 12 career games (4 starts).
Cabrera has a 6.00 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 2 career games.
Durbin has a 6.15 ERA/-46 RSAA in 68 career games, including a 6.66 ERA/-13 RSAA in 17 games (8 starts) in 2004.
16) The Expos called up SS Maicer Izturis, sent OF Ron Calloway to the minors and moved 2B Jose Vidro from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Calloway has -41 RCAA/.612 OPS in 172 career games, including a .226 SLG, .211 OBA, .437 OPS, -10 RCAA in 46 games in 2004.
17) Angels OF Jeff DaVanon had to leave yesterday's game, due to a sprained right ankle.
18) The Rockies called up INF Chris Barmes and sent P Chris Gissell to the minors.
Gissell had a 6.00 ERA/0 RSAA in his first 2 career games.
19) The Dodgers called up P Scott Stewart and sent P Masao Kida to the minors.
After 3.09 ERA/8 RSAA and 3.98 ERA/5 RSAA seasons, Stewart is off to a 7.24 ERA/-4 RSAA start in his first 23 games (all with the Indians). He has a 3.85 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.27, and 14 RSAA in 203 games.
20) Willie Crawford died yesterday at the age of 57.
Crawford was an OF for the 1964-75 Dodgers and 3 other teams in 1976-77. He had a .757 career OPS, compared to his league average of .716, and 87 RCAA in 1210 games. Crawford's best year was a .453 SLG, .396 OBA, .849 OPS, 31 RCAA with the 1973 Dodgers.
Corrections from yesterday--The Whitesox, not the Mariners, scratched Freddy Garcia from yesterday's start. Alfonso Soriano had lied about his age and is really 28. That revised age only puts him on pace to rank 3rd in outmaking for 26-28.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see