Around the Majors: Randy Johnson rumorsby Lee Sinins
June 30, 2004
1) According to NY Newsday, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner has "virtually guaranteed" that the Yankees will make a trade for starting pitcher, while the Diamondbacks will have meetings over the few days to decide whether they will put Randy Johnson on the trading block. The paper also reports that the Mariners say Jamie Moyer's not available, the Braves aren't shopping Russ Ortiz and the Yankees don't think much of Kris Benson.
According to ESPN's Peter Gammons, if Johnson is traded anywhere, it would be to the Angels.
2) The Whitesox took over sole possession of 1st place in the AL Central.
3) Barry Bonds watch--hit #678, is 22 away from 700, is 36 behind Ruth, is 77 behind Aaron.
4) Jim Thome passed Duke Snider into 36th place on the all time HR list, with 408.
5) According to the Baltimore Sun, the Angels, Padres and Astros are scouting the Orioles left handed relievers (Buddy Groom, B.J. Ryan, John Parrish).
6) Rockies RF Larry Walker reached 2000 career hits.
After 46 RCAA/1.023 OPS and 24 RCAA/.898 OPS seasons, Walker is off to a 6 RCAA/1.333 OPS start in his first 8 games. He has a .969 career OPS, compared to his league average of .757, and 498 RCAA in 1814 games.
7) The Redsox signed P Pedro Astacio to a minor league contract.
Astacio has a 4.58 ERA/11 RSAA in 346 career games.
8) The Tigers placed P Danny Patterson on the 15 day DL and called up P Steve Colyer.
Patterson has bursitis in his shoulder. After pitching in just 25 games in 2002-03, he is off to a 3.98 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 32 games. Patterson has a 4.06 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.67, and 27 RSAA in 345 games.
Colyer has a 5.01 ERA/-3 RSAA in 39 career games, including a 7.06 ERA/-6 RSAA in 26 games in 2004.
9) Devil Rays CF Rocco Baldelli will be out of the lineup until at least the weekend, due to a sore right thumb, and could be headed to the DL.
After starting his career with -3 RCAA/.742 OPS in 2003, Baldelli is off to a .416 SLG, .345 OBA, .760 OPS, 0 RCAA in his first 71 games.
10) The Royals fired pitching coach John Cumberland.
11) The Padres sent P Brian Sweeney to the minors and called up P Brandon Puffer.
Sweeney has a 2.70 ERA/3 RSAA in 8 career games, including a 3.68 ERA/0 RSAA in 3 games (1 start) in 2004.
Puffer's probably only up for a day, until Jake Peavy is activated from the DL tomorrow.
12) The BlueJays dropped P Pat Hentgen from the rotation.
After 7.77 ERA/-8 RSAA (just 4 G) and 4.09 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Hentgen is off to a 6.42 ERA/-16 RSAA start in his first 15 starts. He has a 4.29 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.65, and 75 RSAA in 341 games.
13) The Diamondbacks placed P Shane Reynolds on the 15 day DL, placed 1B Greg Colbrunn on the 60 day DL and called up OF Quinton McCracken and P Greg Aquino.
Reynolds made just 1 start before having to go back on the DL.
Colbrunn will have surgery on his right wrist. After playing in his 22 games in 2003, he's off to a .111 SLG, .143 OBA, .254 OPS, -5 RCAA start in his first 20 games (28 PA). Colbrunn has a .799 career OPS, compared to his league average of .766, and 11 RCAA in 992 games.
After 7 RCAA/.825 OPS and -20 RCAA/.547 OPS seasons, McCracken is off to a .333 SLG, .261 OBA, .594 OPS, 2 RCAA start in his first 20 games (24 PA--first 19 games with the Mariners).
14) Mariners C Miguel Olivo missed yesterday's game, after being hospitalized for kidney stones. He could miss another 2-3 days.
Olivo was just acquired in the Freddy Garcia trade.
15) Mets P Scott Erickson cleared waivers, which enables him to be sent to the minors.
16) Redsox P Scott Williamson had to leave yesterday's game, due to a strained forearm stensor. Previously, he spent 3 weeks on the DL, due to elbow tendinitis, and manager Terry Francona says he's not sure whether Williamson will have to go back on the DL.
After 2.92 ERA/13 RSAA and 4.16 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Williamson is off to a 1.25 ERA/9 RSAA start in his first 21 games. He has a 3.01 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.46, and 67 RSAA in 262 games.
17) Mets CF Mike Cameron twisted his knee yesterday and is expected to be out of the lineup today.
After 13 RCAA/.782 OPS and 3 RCAA/.774 OPS seasons, Cameron is hitting .396 SLG, .312 OBA, .708 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 72 games. He has a .773 career OPS, compared to his league average of .774, and 37 RCAA in 1124 games.
18) The Reds released minor league OF Reggie Taylor.
Taylor has -30 RCAA/.660 OPS in 249 career games.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see