Around the Majors: Redsox advance to the ALCSby Lee Sinins
October 08, 2004
1) Yesterday's scores--
Redsox 8, Angels 6 (10) (REDSOX WIN SERIES, 3-0)
Yankees 8, Twins 4 (Yankees lead series, 2-1)
2) Today's schedule--
Braves (John Thomson, 3.72) at Astros (Brandon Backe, 4.30), 1:00 (series tied, 1-1)
Yankees (Javier Vazquez, 4.91) at Twins (Johan Santana, 2.61), 4:25
Cardinals (Matt Morris, 4.72) at Dodgers (Jose Lima, 4.07), 8:00 (Cardinals lead series, 2-0)
3) Yesterday's HRs--
4) Redsox P Scott Williamson will have elbow surgery on Monday.
After having pain at the end of the season, he wasn't on the Division Series roster. After 2.92 ERA/13 RSAA and 4.16 ERA/2 RSAA seasons, Williams had a 1.26 ERA/12 RSAA in 28 games. He has a 2.98 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and 70 RSAA in 269 games.
5) The Brewers res-signed P Gary Glover to a 1 year contract.
Glover has a 4.92 ERA/-12 RSAA in 134 career games, including a 3.50 ERA/2 RSAA in 4 games (3 starts) in 2004.
6) The Orioles removed INFs Jose Leon and Luis Lopez and C Robert Machado from the 40 man roster. They all decided to reject the assignment to the minors and become free agents.
Leon has -16 RCAA/.583 OPS in 88 career games, including a .303 SLG, .203 OBA, .506 OPS, -10 RCAA in 31 games in 2004.
After being out of the majors in 2003, Lopez had a .273 SLG, .211 OBA, .483 OPS, -10 RCAA in 56 games. He has a .637 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -87 RCAA in 704 games.
Machado has -38 RCAA/.626 OPS in 253 career games, including a .233 SLG,. 195 OBA, .428 OPS, -10 RCAA in 37 games in 2004.
7) The Reds claimed P Ben Kozlowski off waivers from the Rangers.
Kozlowski had a 6.30 ERA/-1 RSAA in his first 2 career starts.
8) The Tigers claimed P Colby Lewis off waivers from the Rangers.
Lewis has a 6.83 ERA/-35 RSAA in 44 career games, including a 4.11 ERA/2 RSAA in 3 starts in 2004.
9) Royals GM Allard Baird denies rumors that the team is discussing a Sammy Sosa for Mike Sweeney trade.
10) Royals OF Dee Brown and P Matt Kinney became free agents when they refused their assignments to the minors.
11) The Reds are sending RF Austin Kearns to the Instructional League, to see if he can move to 3B.
After starting his career with 21 RCAA/.907 OPS and 6 RCAA/.819 OPS seasons, Kearns hit .419 SLG, .321 OBA, .740 OPS, -4 RCAA in 64 games. He has a .837 career OPS, compared to his league average of .770, and 23 RCAA in 253 games.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and come out in October. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded and could include a free copy of the current edition. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.