Around the Majors: Rumorsby Lee Sinins
November 18, 2004
1) According to the Boston Globe, the Redsox are interested in free agent SS Edgar Renteria, as a backup plan if they can't re-sign free agent SS Orlando Cabrera. According to the Boston Herald, they are interested in free agent 2B Placido Polanco.
2) According to the Toronto Globe, the BlueJays top free agent priority is P Matt Clement, while he's also interested in them.
3) According to the Tampa Tribune, the Devil Rays and Rockies have discussed a trade involving C Charles Johnson.
4) The Expos re-signed manager Frank Robinson to a 1 year contract.
5) The Angels added INF Alberto Callaspo, C Jeff Mathis and Ps Ervin Santana, Steven Shell and Joe Saunders to the 40 man roster.
6) The Phillies added OF Chris Roberson, C Carlos Ruiz and Ps Zach Segovia, Francisco Butto, Eude Brito and Robinson Tejada to the 40 man roster.
7) The Royals added 3B Mark Teahen, C Justin Huber and Ps Devon Lowery and Ambiorix Burgos to the 40 man roster and signed P Steve Stemle to a minor-league contract, with an invitation to spring training.
8) The Padres added 1B Tagg Bozied, 1B-OF Paul McAnulty, 2B Josh Barfield, SS J.J. Furmaniak, OF Ben Johnson and Ps Brad Baker and Sean Thompson to the 40 man roster and signed P Angel Tovar to a minor league contract, with am invitation to spring training.
9) According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks are interested in free agent SSs Royce Clayton and Craig Counsell.
10) The Rockies re-signed 3B Andy Tracy to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
Tracy has -8 RCAA/.720 OPS in 136 career games, including a .250 SLG, .235 OBA, .485 OPS, -2 RCAA in 15 games in 2004.
11) The Expos removed SS Josh Labandeira and P Shawn Hill from the 40 man roster.
Labandeira was 0 for 14, with -3 RCAA, in his first 7 career games.
Hill had a 16.00 ERA/-12 RSAA in his first 3 career starts.
12) The Cubs added C Geovany Soto and P Russ Rohlicek to the 40 man roster.
13) The Twins added Ps Scott Tyler and David Gassner to the 40 man roster.
Correction from yesterday--the Twins, not the Tigers, added 1B Garrett Jones and Ps Francisco Liriano and Travis Bowyer to the 40 man roster.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. Orders are now being taken for the next edition, which will include the 2004 stats and is currently shipping. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. The deluxe package has been greatly expanded, making it a much better bargain. For more information, see http://www.baseball-encyclopedia.com
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.