Around the Majors: Salmon needs surgeryby Lee Sinins
September 01, 2004
1) Angels DH Tim Salmon will have season ending knee and shoulder surgery. He could also miss most, or all, of 2005 and is concerned that his career is in danger.
2) The Mariners were mathematically eliminated from winning the division title.
3) The Brewers were mathematically eliminated from winning the division title.
4) The BlueJays will be mathematically eliminated from winning the division title if they lose to the Mariners and either the Yankees or the Redsox win.
5) The Pirates tied the Reds for 4th place in the NL West.
6) The Yankees clinched a winning season for the 12th consecutive year.
7) Barry Bonds watch--
OBA--.608, Bonds holds the major league record with .582, in 2002
SLG--.818, on pace for 4th all time, Bonds holds the major league record with .863, 2001
OPS--1.427, Bonds holds the major league record with 1.381, in 2002
RCAA--127, is 13th all time, on pace for 152, Bonds holds the major league record with 169, 2001
BB--188, is 2nd all time, on pace for 226, Bonds holds the major league record with 198, 2002
BB above average--161, is 2nd all time, on pace for 193, Bonds holds the major league record with 163, 2002
career HR--has 696, is 4 away from 700, is 18 behind Ruth, is 59 behind Aaron
career HR above average--has 455, is 3rd all time, is 2 behind Aaron's NL record
career RCAA--1471, is 4 behind Ted Williams for 2nd place on the all time list
8) Larry Walker passed Joe DiMaggio into 61st place on the all time HR list, with 362.
9) Chipper Jones passed David Justice and tied Edgar Martinez and Fred Lynn for 96th place on the all time HR list, with 306.
10) The Cubs called up INF Neifi Perez and moved OF Todd Hollandsworth from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
After -57 RCAA/.564 OPS and -20 RCAA/.632 OPS seasons, Perez had a .296 SLG, .276 OBA, .571 OPS, -27 RCAA in 103 games with the Giants, before they came to the realization that winning good, using players like Perez, bad. Perez has a .677 career OPS, compared to his league average of .777, and -306 RCAA in 1085 games.
11) Whitesox P Cliff Politte had an emergency appendectomy.
After 3.67 ERA/5 RSAA and 5.66 ERA/-5 RSAA seasons, Politte is off to a 4.38 ERA/3 RSAA start in his first 54 games. He has a 4.50 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.49, and 2 RSAA in 232 games.
12) The Whitesox called up P Arnie Munoz and activated C Sandy Alomar Jr. from the DL.
After -13 RCAA/.712 OPS and -7 RCAA/.689 OPS seasons, Alomar is off to a .291 SLG, .297 OBA, .588 OPS, -11 RCAA start in his first 45 games. He has a .721 career OPS, compared to his league average of .762, and -109 RCAA in 1272 games.
Munoz had a 33.00 ERA/-9 RSAA in his first career start.
13) The Reds activated P Paul Wilson from the DL.
After 4.83 ERA/-8 RSAA and 4.64 ERA/-7 RSAA seasons, Wilson is off to a 4.63 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 24 starts. He has a 4.78 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.40, and -47 RSAA in 156 games.
14) The Mariners claimed P Masao Kida off waivers from the Dodgers.
Kida has a 5.57 ERA/-9 RSAA in 57 career games, including 4 2/3 shutout innings in 3 games (2 RSAA) in 2004.
15) The Indians activated INF Lou Merloni from the DL and called up C Josh Bard and P Cliff Bartosh.
After -3 RCAA/.724 OPS and -2 RCAA/.704 OPS seasons, Merloni is hitting .444 SLG, .355 OBA, .799 OPS, -1 RCAA in his first 65 games. He has a .727 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -28 RCAA in 403 games.
Bard has -18 RCAA/.658 OPS in 115 career games.
Bartosh has a 6.00 ERA/-2 RSAA in his first 23 career games.
16) The Yankees designated minor leaguers OF Mike Vento and P Juan Padilla for assignment.
Padilla had a 3.97 ERA/1 RSAA in his first 6 career games.
17) The Twins called up P Aaron Fultz and C Pat Borders.
After 4.79 ERA/-5 RSAA and 5.21 ERA/-1 RSAA seasons, Fultz is off to a 4.57 ERA/1 RSAA start in his first 47 games. He has a 4.77 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.47, and -13 RSAA in 278 games.
18) The Expos called up OF Val Pascucci.
Pascucci has a .208 SLG, .333 OBA, .542 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 13 career games.
19) The Braves called up INF Wilson Betemit and P Travis Smith, released minor league INF Jesse Garcia and "called up" OF Carlos Guzman and immediately placed him on the 15 day DL.
Betemit has -5 RCAA/.406 OPS in 17 career games, including a .172 SLG, .226 OBA, -4 RCAA in 9 games in 2004.
Smith has a 6.95 ERA/-26 RSAA in 20 career games, including a 7.03 ERA/-7 RSAA in 7 games (3 starts) in 2004.
Garcia has -22 RCAA/.542 OPS in 155 career games, including a .330 SLG, .265 OBA, .595 OPS, -9 RCAA in a career high 50 games in 2004.
Moving Guzman from A ball to the major league DL is just a roster manipulation move to allow Guzman to officially be placed on the postseason roster and then immediately replaced. In other words, it's letting the Braves put anybody they want on the postseason roster, regardless of whether they were actually on the 25 man roster as of August 31. Meanwhile, the reason why you're not seeing everyone make such moves would be because they already have players on the DL that they can use to make the rulebook, in the words of Billy Martin, "useless for nothing more than toilet paper for when you're stuck in the middle of the woods."
20) The Marlins called up C Matt Treanor and P Ben Howard.
Treanor is off to a .288 SLG, .316 OBA, .604 OPS, -4 RCAA in his first 24 career games.
Howard has a 5.09 ERA/-10 RSAA in 33 career games, including a 5.28 ERA/-4 RSAA in 24 games in 2004.
21) The Padres called up OF Kerry Robinson and activated P Antonio Osuna from the DL.
After -5 RCAA/.660 OPS and -11 RCAA/.603 OPS seasons, Robinson has a .307 SLG, .317 OBA, .624 OPS, -3 RCAA in his first 62 games (82 PA). He has a .638 career OPS, compared to his league average of .773, and -24 RCAA in 427 games.
After 3.86 ERA/6 RSAA and 3.73 ERA/3 RSAA seasons, Osuna is off to a 4.12 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 18 games. He has a 3.61 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.36, and 24 RSAA in 394 games.
22) The Dodgers moved P Darren Dreifort from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
23) The Giants called up INF Brian Dallimore and OFs Jason Ellison and Tony Torcato.
Dallimore has a .333 SLG, .317 OBA, .650 OPS, -2 RCAA in his first 12 career games.
Ellison was 1 for 10, with -2 RCAA, in his first 7 career games.
Torcato has -2 RCAA/.627 OPS in 26 career games, including 2 for 5, with a BB, in 7 games in 2004.
24) The Rangers activated INF Herbert Perry and Ps Jeff Nelson and Erasmo Ramirez from the DL and called up INF Andy Fox and C Ken Huckaby.
After playing in just 11 games in 2003, Perry is hitting .369 SLG, .309 SLG, .678 OPS, -7 RCAA in his first 46 games. He has a .772 career OPS, compared to his league average of .775, and -30 RCAA in 526 games.
After 3.94 ERA/1 RSAA and 3.74 ERA/4 RSAA seasons, Nelson is off to a 5.28 ERA/0 RSAA start in his first 17 games. He has a 3.36 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.59, and 96 RSAA in 731 games.
Ramirez has a 4.01 ERA/9 RSAA in 59 career games, including a 4.28 ERA/3 RSAA in 25 games in 2004.
After -9 RCAA/.671 OPS and -9 RCAA/.528 OPS seasons, Fox "hit" .163 SLG, .093 OBA, .256 OPS, -8 RCAA in 34 games (43 PA) with the Expos. He has a .664 career OPS, compared to his league average of .778, and -66 RCAA in 764 games.
Huckaby has -26 RCAA/.556 OPS in 110 career games, including a .216 SLG, .225 OBA, .441 OPS, -6 RCAA in 16 games in 2004 (first 8 with the Orioles).
25) A MRI on Devil Rays LF Carl Crawford's shoulder showed inflammation and he's expected to miss a few games.
26) Jerry Colangelo resigned as CEO of the Diamondbacks. He had previously submitted his resignation, but that submission wasn't effective until December 31.
27) The Redsox designated minor league P Joe Nelson for assignment and called up C Sandy Martinez.
Nelson has a 25.07 ERA/-11 RSAA in 5 career games, including a 16.88 ERA/-4 RSAA in 3 games in 2004.
28) The Angels called up INF Shane Halter, will call up P Scott Dunn, designated P Ben Weber for assignment, removed minor league P Steve Green from the 40 man roster and sent OF Barry Wesson to the minors.
After -9 RCAA/.704 OPS and -23 RCAA/.611 OPS seasons, Halter is off to a .358 SLG, .250 OBA, .608 OPS, -8 RCAA start in his first 41 games. He has a .689 career OPS, compared to his league average of .768, and -70 RCAA in 685 games.
After 2.54 ERA/15 RSAA and 2.69 ERA/13 RSAA seasons, Weber is off to a 8.06 ERA/-9 RSAA start in his first 18 games. He has a 3.58 career ERA, compared to his league average of 4.53, and 25 RSAA in 218 games.
Wesson had already been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on Sunday.
29) The Mets sent OF Prentice Redman to the minors. Redman had been removed from the 25 and 40 man rosters when he was designated for assignment on August 25.
30) The Devil Rays called up OF Matt Diaz and P Chad Gaudin and moved INF Eduardo Perez from the 15 to the 60 day DL.
Diaz has -2 RCAA/.298 OPS in 5 career games, including 0 for 3, with -1 RCAA, in 1 game in 2004.
Gaudin has a 4.30 ERA/1 RSAA in 34 career games, including a 5.13 ERA/-3 RSAA in 19 games (4 starts) in 2004.
31) The Orioles called up C Geronimo Gil.
Gil has -33 RCAA/.633 OPS in 196 career games, including a .314 SLG, .299 OBA, .613 OPS, -7 RCAA in 54 games in 2004.
According to Peter Gammons, "There is no greater baseball tool than Lee Sinins' Baseball Sabermetric Encyclopedia. Get thee to Baseball Immortals and order the disc, haste post haste." The product Jayson Stark called "the best invention since the toaster oven!" has gotten even more powerful.
If you enjoy the ATM reports and want to support them, check out my other creation--the sabermetric baseball encyclopedia. It's powerful, yet extremely easy to use. Features extensive sorting, stat display options, and features that are not available in online and printed sources. Order the deluxe package and get a free player comments book. For more information, see